Thread: Eastern Creek Ride Day: A Report

Eastern Creek Ride Day: A Report

Yesterday morning saw me up nice and early and on my way out to Eastern Creek Raceway for my first trackday there. Aboard the 175hp, 300km/h Suzuki GSXR1000 that I’ve only had for a month. That I’ve only ridden around town on so far. Eeep. And it’s wet. Marvellous.

Registration and scrutineering are dealt with so I wander over to the pit wall and take a look back up the straight. And then at turn 1. I promptly head to the toilets and have a nervous piss.

The PA announces my group is up in 5 minutes so on with the gear, bike is cranked up and lined up at the pit exit. I take it fairly easily first lap, just trying to remember the corners and get a feel for the track. Some are a bit greasy but they’re slower corners so the sliding front isn’t too pucker-worthy.

But then it’s turn 11 coming up. I hit the apex fairly straight and deliberately run it wide well letting the revs drop for better drive, tip it in for 12 and cut it in sharp to run up the inside of a few slower bikes, and pin it. Revs and speed rise as I crest the hump on to the straight…

…and the damn thing pulls an enormous bloody wheelie. Roll off, wheel slams back down and the bars wobble despite the Ohlins damper. Back on with throttle and rip it down the straight. 240km/h shows at the 300m marker and roll-off, sit up and grab some brake despite me telling myself not too. Which I did the whole damn day. Just couldn’t make myself not do it, especially since I was hitting 270km/h later in the day.

That track is effing awesome. Really smooth, very wide, very fast. I just need some more testicular fortitude before I venture there again.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

sounds good and plenty of fun!
    didn't surprise really if you braked too early when doing 270 km/h, especially since it was your first time at such speeds with the new ride.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

You rebel racer you.

At least you are using the bike as it was intended, it's very awesome to see.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

2ndcc, I admire your courage. I would be too scared to do 27km/h on any type of bike let alone the 270km/h you did. Approved.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

I just wouldn't get on a crutch rocket simple as that...

Couldn't see the beard in the pics.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information