Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Recomendations for Engine Oils

Your Recomendations for Engine Oils

Hi, This might be in the wrong place. It could also be the right place.

Engine oil. Your recommendations.. I have been on many car forums, And we have had oil threads, None i can see here. What I'm interested in is anyone's feedback recommendations to anything on their oil choice for their cars. All cars are different but oil choice, Based on experiences over time is better then some dude in a cheap shop telling you "its the best".

Share you oil choices engine km miles etc. What oil you believe to be good or the best suited. I personally have chosen many oils over the years and never have stuck with many.

Right now I'm about to use Shell hilux plus high mileage 15w-50. That's coming up from valvoline syngard 10w-40. Which ran great in its time, But i am always open to a better choice.
    KM's 151,000km.

Not not just about me, I was really hoping we could share our choices of oil around, So that everyone can get an idea of what they would like to try or consider ??.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I last bought Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30. My father also buys Mobil 1 by the case for our cars.

edit: I'd change every 2000 miles or so
    Last edited by Rockefella; 02-23-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I just put Castrol GTX 10w40 in yesterday.

I usually put the cheapest stuff(advanced autopart brand) in for my truck. The race car gets Mobil racing oil.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

I use amsoil 0w-30 in the civic and the G. light oil good for the cold. it is expensive but its good oil. change it every 6-7 months regardless of mileage.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

im with rocke... pretty much only use mobil 1 synthetic
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Not exclusively but have mostly used BP Corse Plus in my dungers since - oh geez - the mid 1980s, with no lubrication issues since (before then I used BP Corse 50C in my Ducati bevel, again with excellent results)

Corse Plus seems a good oil for traditional Oz-style cars & temperatures, it used to be very effective at shutting up the noisy lifters in my Valiant Hemis eg, and reduced fume in Clevos. Maybe less suitable for short urban trips (?) although I'm always careful to warm my motors up. I've found it holds a noticable increase in oil pressure (and less consumption) over average oils and doesn't thin out as much in typical stinking-hot Oz weather

Btw these hyper thin synthetics might work well if you use them exclusively from near-new, but if your engine was previously acustomed to a mineral oil then be warned that 'upgrading' to expensive synthetics can also bring with it much higher oil consumption - this tallied with my own experience after trying out Mobil 1 in two cars, where previously muniscule consumption engines suddenly mutated into expensive-oil slurpers

If you just plod around in a regular car then I guess almost any suitable, modestly priced oil can do the job - providing you change it regularly. But anyway fwiw the aforementioned BP goo is widely available at servos where its not very expensive. But I usually buy it in a 4-pack carton direct from my local BP distributor for a considerable saving over retail price. The sump on my Merc is 6.2 litres and theres no way I'm going to fork out a ridiculous $50+ (per 4 litres!) for synthetics or bloody hell $70+ for those boutique oils

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Btw these hyper thin synthetics might work well if you use them exclusively from near-new, but if your engine was previously acustomed to a mineral oil then be warned that 'upgrading' to expensive synthetics can also bring with it much higher oil consumption - this tallied with my own experience after trying out Mobil 1 in two cars, where previously muniscule consumption engines suddenly mutated into expensive-oil slurpers

If you just plod around in a regular car then I guess almost any suitable, modestly priced oil can do the job - providing you change it regularly. But anyway fwiw the aforementioned BP goo is widely available at servos where its not very expensive. But I usually buy it in a 4-pack carton direct from my local BP distributor for a considerable saving over retail price. The sump on my Merc is 6.2 litres and theres no way I'm going to fork out a ridiculous $50+ (per 4 litres!) for synthetics or bloody hell $70+ for those boutique oils
    Forgot to mention that the cars I was talking about are all 2004+ MY's.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    After consulting with the owner's manual and the Chilton's guide, I went with 20W-50 Castrol High Mileage when I changed the Cougar's oil in January. High Mileage because my car is high mileage and that's what was put in last time the oil was changed (I was a bit overdue), Castrol because that brand was on sale, and 20W-50 because I didn't think it was likely that the weather would be below 20 degrees Fahrenheit for any prolonged period of time. Naturally, we experienced a cold snap within a week. Fortunately, I have nowhere to go, so my kitty hibernated for a little bit.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Royal Purple.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Shell Helix 10W30 according to Ford 912.33c norm.

With 1 Liter i can drive about one week or 750km.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Shell Helix 10W30 according to Ford 912.33c norm.

With 1 Liter i can drive about one week or 750km.

and you're not talking here about a 2-stroke engine .. or are you?

and you're not talking here about a 2-stroke engine .. or are you?
    Nope, Ford Fiesta 1.3 from 2000 with 69.879km, it has even improved a LOT from when I just got it. It used to be 1l on 3-400km. I am so damn glad I have ordered a brand new car, I cannot wait until when it arrives

PS: Fuel usage is exceptionally high as well; 1l on 11 km average on 500+km long drives with just highway driving is pretty bad for such a small car.

I checked all kinds of different things, but even the Ford dealership doesnt know what is the problem. Valve's need to be adjusted every 2500-3000km too when they start rattling, very annoying. Valve seals have been replaced.
    Last edited by drakkie; 02-24-2009 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Nope, Ford Fiesta 1.3 from 2000 with 69.879km, it has even improved a LOT from when I just got it. It used to be 1l on 3-400km. I am so damn glad I have ordered a brand new car, I cannot wait until when it arrives
    Gee thats terrible Drakkie

Not much worse than being cursed with an oil burner. I briefly owned an el-cheapo 1963 Valiant with a really tired slant-6 which dead-set used to cost me more in oil than petrol! At garages it was a case of 'check the fuel and fill up the oil'

My current heap (still with original rings & bearings) needs less than a litre (typically about 750ml) in 5,000 km, to maintain the oil at 'max' level between services. Total mileage is almost 450,000 km
    PS: Fuel usage is exceptionally high as well; 1l on 11 km average on 500+km long drives with just highway driving is pretty bad for such a small car.

I checked all kinds of different things, but even the Ford dealership doesnt know what is the problem. Valve's need to be adjusted every 2500-3000km too when they start rattling, very annoying. Valve seals have been replaced.
    Any chance that you're revving it too hard? Maybe the bore is glazed?

Btw I'm surprised that any model-2000 engine doesn't have a self-adjusting valvetrain!
    Last edited by nota; 02-24-2009 at 04:02 AM.

Any chance that you're revving it too hard?
    Even if he has lead right foot, 9,1l/100km is far too much for a 1.3 litre engined Fiesta.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information