Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with drawing project for precalculus.

isn't the point of precalculus to prepare you for university level NAZI calculus? because if it is this assignment is shit
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Is there a calculus course offered in high school where you are Z_F? Here we had Calculus and Geometry and Discrete mathematics available at the top level and these courses were required for things like engineering - now G and D is not required and I have heard attempts to remove Calculus form the curriculum which are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Is there a calculus course offered in high school where you are Z_F? Here we had Calculus and Geometry and Discrete mathematics available at the top level and these courses were required for things like engineering - now G and D is not required and I have heard attempts to remove Calculus form the curriculum which are ridiculous.
    we still have Geometry (at University I mean), can you explain what's in Discrete mathematics?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    isn't the point of precalculus to prepare you for university level NAZI calculus? because if it is this assignment is shit
    its probably a little throw away assignment to teach the fundementals of conic shapes. and to make sure that the students understand the different shapes involved. What would be even better, is if they had to draw a picture using them, on an actual graph, and you had to turn in the equations used. now that would be hardcore.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    we still have Geometry (at University I mean), can you explain what's in Discrete mathematics?
    G and D was a pretty fun class, pretty much the hardest one available in high school (I liked it more than Calculus by a fair margin). Keep in mind, I did this course in 4/5 years ago so I am not able to remember that well. It was quite varied, we did some geometrical proofs which were kind neat, a lot of probability with P and C (permutations and something else) aha! It was combinatorics - here's more here. It was more a problem solving sorta math course as opposed to monkey work calculus and this was probably why I enjoyed it much more. Lots of proofs I remember - tests of just proofs maybe too. Man, high school was the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    its probably a little throw away assignment to teach the fundementals of conic shapes. and to make sure that the students understand the different shapes involved. What would be even better, is if they had to draw a picture using them, on an actual graph, and you had to turn in the equations used. now that would be hardcore.
    I am pretty sure that's what he needs to do and it is gonna be a pain if he has gotta do that.

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    Over here I blelive highschool math goes algebra I, geometry(these first two can be taken in middle school), algebra II, Precalculus, calculus.
    there are other math classes but im pretty sure this is the core math cuurriculum for most schools.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

All true, however, there's some merit in finding value in what would generally be regarded as mundane. That's the challenge, of course. Quick and easy isn't always good.

With mindful, intentional repetition comes mastery, which leads to breakthroughs and discoveries in the long-term. As I see it, you're not wasting time unless you could be doing something else more meaningful...this of course is defined differently for everyone.

I agree that software makes our tasks infinitely easier, but it also makes it more difficult for us to be aware of why it's necessary at certain times to do something quicker, and taking our time and exploring a bit at other times. Without taking the time to learn the rules at the beginning, it gets harder and harder to differentiate between the two, and we start missing things...

Didn't mean to sound like Yoda, just following a train of thought...
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

G and D was a pretty fun class, pretty much the hardest one available in high school (I liked it more than Calculus by a fair margin). Keep in mind, I did this course in 4/5 years ago so I am not able to remember that well. It was quite varied, we did some geometrical proofs which were kind neat, a lot of probability with P and C (permutations and something else) aha! It was combinatorics - here's more here. It was more a problem solving sorta math course as opposed to monkey work calculus and this was probably why I enjoyed it much more. Lots of proofs I remember - tests of just proofs maybe too. Man, high school was the good old days.
    gotcha, here they/we go with just with their theoretical counterparts
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

It need not be a real car exactly - you can just make an approximation I suppose.

My view is this is an utterly ridiculous assignment that's gonna take a ton of time for some concepts that could be dealt with in a much easier way - but they are trying to make it fun or some garbage like that when it ain't gonna be fun anyways. If you get to use a graphing program then OK, but if this is done by hand... That is gonna suck a lot.

Make a weird happy face or something and be done with it easy. Just imagining stupid crap like this pisses me off and reminds me of the garbage in high school.

EDIT: As long as this isn't virus-laden, a program like this one could really help you visualize it if you need to do it by hand, and if electronic submission is allowed then boom you're done alot easier than before.

I still say you keep it simple though; if you need to do things on angles and use xy terms to slant things that could start to get complicated.
    Haha. It's funny you say that - I just did something like that, except I used that thing on my wallpaper instead of the triforce we were planning on using.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Mazda Furai will most likely have every shape imaginable.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Mazda Furai will most likely have every shape imaginable.
    But will also be one helluva bitch to draw.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Yeah, I have to do it on graph paper.

The curviest car ev4r(?):
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    but thats just the thing. when you are in university calculus, the shape of the graph is of complete moot point. it is rote memory style algebraic computational. when you get presented with expressions like this

the shape of the conic shape is completely pointless. you use proofs to redefine expressions. nobody knows what the geometric representation of sq[sin x] + sq[cos x] = 1 is with the unit circle. i guess yeah, in the end, it is to make it more young'n friendly. but might as well start them early and make them computational mechanisms IMO.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

We do have calculus offered, but you have to take it at the local college which is a few blocks away.
    The highest math class we have is College Algebra.

I'm really good with algebra and numbers, but I f**king suck with geometry and trigonometry.

Thread Information