Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Richard....

That it bloody class - hopefully Richard took his advice, cos that looks genuinely rough.

I'm currently at an airport , eatingbreakfast thanks for the good laugh. At least i'm not alone on the food thoughts.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Excellent letter, but flying out of Mumbai what food DID he expect to get ?
    Looks haute cuisine for the region.

Honestly , it does reak of British snobbisness about food.
    Clearly the combinations of INDIAN produce he could only explain in British culinary (!) terms.

So he's a possibly a prat, BUT the letter is brilliant !!!

I wonder what the other famous Scot (besides Matra) Gordon Ramsay would say about that letter.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Not sure, but even what he produced looks a bit "bland"

Gordon Ramsay in SQ Economy Class

SQ really is doing a bunch of celebrity chef meals in economy class. Tonight's meal looks like it was Gordon Ramsay's (and I didn't even realize that it was his until I looked at the menu again later). It started with a "ham with crispy romaine lettuce," which had a decently tasty dressing. Then it went to the "seared salmon fillet with sauteed pancetta-capiscums and steamed potatoes," which honestly was a bit light on taste for me. There were even whole cloves of garlic with the capiscum, but they were done so thoroughly that the taste was all gone by the time you ate it. The potatoes were pretty bland too.

Hmmm...this was the second Gordon Ramsay meal that I sometimes felt needed a bit more punch to it. Maybe that's because I'm on an airplane...either that, or that's just the way his style of cooking is. I've never eaten at his restaurants before, but if this was any preview, then I am not sure if I would like his food as much as I like his TV shows.

Thing is, could he have planted those things in the meal?

If it is true though, sounds kinda disgusting.

Funny letter though if it's true.

he should be served british haute cusine next time he flies Virgin: Fish and Chips.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Turns out Branson called him personally and thanked him for his comments
    Well done Richard.

Paul Charles, Virgin's Director of Corporate Communications, said Virgin was sorry the passenger had not liked the 'award-winning' in-flight meals which he said was 'very popular on our Indian routes'.
    So it does seem we are seeing the small-midnded-British-centric-cullinery-expertise at it's worst

Couldn't remember the name - Dhokla, is what the "cube" is likely. An Indian speciality. AND I checked Khanan Dhokla can be served with tomato !!

Every time I've flown from another country, I prefer to eat something "local" rather than rely on someoe properly cooking a steak, lamb or chicken

Virgin far too polite. They SHOULD Have sent Gordon Ramsay to respond to the guys feedback

Good read.
    Matra, I would highly doubt that airplane food anywhere was "local cuisine." Most of it is shipped in from outer space.

Shouldn't a British person know Indian food better than this guys does?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The real Indian food is good, love it! A few times allready on board of a vessel, i was invited to have dinner. The day after it sounds like your farting a hole in your trousers, so loud it comes out

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Good read.
    Matra, I would highly doubt that airplane food anywhere was "local cuisine." Most of it is shipped in from outer space.
    Nope. It's manufactured local to the airport who provide the catering servicing. Big international airports have them.
    Shouldn't a British person know Indian food better than this guys does?
    As Pieter said, some consider fish and chips the highlight of British cuisine ! That and faggots - 'nuff said
    But yes, we do have a propensity to partake of a particalarly powerful phal ( see what I did there )
    However, most indians would not recognise most curries made here in the UK where we definately have more of the bum-burners than standard !

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    However, most indians would not recognise most curries made here in the UK where we definately have more of the bum-burners than standard !
    that is greatly depending on what area of India your are talking about, I have seen quite a few, and the food differs regionally. (same as with Chinese food).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that is greatly depending on what area of India your are talking about, I have seen quite a few, and the food differs regionally. (same as with Chinese food).
    Not to forget hereby offcourse that what we call Chinese food, is basically Indonesian Even the names are Indonesian!

I've had Cathay Pacific Chinese food and it was palatable a couple years back. I'm not too sure if quality has dropped though.

Thread Information