Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 599XX (and Evoluzione) 2010-2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ferrari 599XX (and Evoluzione) 2010-2011

599XX

While based on the 599 GTB Fiorano with the same transaxle layout and engine type, this prototype is an extreme track car. Ferrari's engineers have carried out extensive work on the engine's combustion chambers and inlet and exhaust tracts. These modifications, combined with the fact that internal attrition has been reduced and the maximum revs have been boosted to 9,000 rpm, helped achieve the target power output of 700 hp at 9,000 rpm. Particular attention was also paid to cutting the weight of the engine unit components. This was achieved both by optimising forms - as in the new crankshaft - and adopting exclusive materials, as in the carbon-fibre used for the intake plenums. A new gearbox shift strategy cuts overall gearchange times to 60 ms.

The 599XX is characterised by an innovative electronic concept called the "High Performance Dynamic Concept" which has been designed to get the maximum performance from the car by managing the combination of the car's mechanical limits with the potential of its electronic controls. The mechanical and electronic systems work together to get the maximum performance from the car under extreme high performance driving, for consistent lap times. The sporty handling has been improved thanks to the adoption of second generation SCM suspension system. Track usage is also made easier thanks to the new "virtual car engineer", a screen in the car that provides a real-time indication of the vehicle's efficiency.

The 599XX's aerodynamics were honed in numerous wind tunnel test sessions with the result that the car now boasts 280 kg of downforce at 200 km/h (630 kg at 300 km/h). The front underside of the body is completely faired-in and the vents that channel hot air from the engine bay have been moved to the bonnet.

The "Actiflow" system increases downforce and/or cuts drag depending on the car's trim cornering conditions, courtesy of the use of a porous material in the diffuser and two fans in the boot which channel the air flow from under the car out through two grilles next to the tail-lights. Winglets have been added to the rear buttresses to increase downforce. while synthetic jets have also been incorporated into the rear of the car to control and smooth the air flow and to reduce drag.
    Ferrari's engineers have also used F1-derived "doughnuts" which partly cover the brake discs and wheel rim. These have the dual function of improving both aerodynamics and brake cooling.

In terms of the bodywork, composites and carbon-fibre have been widely used and the engineers drew on their experience in working with aluminium to reach the weight target. The development of increasingly high-performance materials has also benefited the carbon-ceramic material braking system. The brake pads are now made from carbon-fibre which means that the calipers are smaller whilst guaranteeing the same efficiency. The new racing carbon ceramic braking system also delivers shorter braking distances and is generally more efficient due to the weight saving.

The 599XX comes with slick tyres (29/67 R19 Front and 31/71 R19 Rear) specifically developed to maximise stability in cornering and increase lateral acceleration. They are fitted to 19 x 11J wheel rims at the front and 19 x 12J at the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...Utah! Get me two...

This thing is sick...

It makes me glad that Ferrari is making cars like this, while Lambo, Aston and Porsche (whom I all like, by the way) are compromising with sedans.

Ferrari's not for everyone, but there's only one...
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

I posted the news somewhere else, but this thread will have much more views, so here is the update:
    this, obviously, is the 599 version of the Fxx car, so it's merely a laboratory, or a toy, for the track, which a handful of rich customers will buy.
    at the moment Ferrari is working also on another two projects based on the 599 car:
    -the restyling (nothing exteriorly impressive, a la 550 and 575M)
    -the Light version.

Now, for those of you familiar with Ferrari's codenames, Light was the designation of the car lately known as the 430 Scuderia, so expect a Scuderia version even of the 599.

For as regards a proper racing version of the 599, I'm not pretty sure of its existence anymore, since the car I knew as the race version, turned out being this, the 599XX (codename 599XX, not F141XX).

For as regards the GraTurismo, there will be both a Cup car and a GT4 car.
    Tests are proceeding well so far on the only prototype.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 03-03-2009 at 08:46 AM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Hmmm, looks a little "rich boy wants to be a tuner" if you ask me, but then again, nobody was, and damn, I wish I was friends with the CEO. I thought side exit exhaust pipes behind the front wheels would have been the order of the day, though.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Ferrari 599XX #1

Ferrari 599XX #2

Ferrari 599XX #3

Ferrari 599XX #4

Ferrari 599XX #5

last update: Ferrari isn't working on a racing 599, the car I knew as the GT version is this one, sorry for the fuzz.
    Even the racing version of the upcoming F142 (or F430 replacement) is still only on paper.
    GranTurismo Trofeo/GT4 progressing well, with a limited budget though (thanks Fiat).

Thanks Fiat they are still alive.

Cutting back the racing budget in the current economic conditions does make sense.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Thanks Fiat they are still alive.

Cutting back the racing budget in the current economic conditions does make sense.
    half yes and half no.
    yes, Fiat saved Maserati, trough Ferrari.
    yes, cutting on racing programs is a good way to save a lot of money.
    no, spending just a few of money on a race car is simply a waste, it won't be competitive (considering the GT4 championship, not the one model series) and therefore it won't be a good ad, if not an ad at all.
    I would say how much money they are allow to spend on the design of the prototype, but it's a too sensible information. Surely, you would be like this: for how much it's a small figure.

Well yes, but I doubt many potential Maserati owners know about the FIA GT4 championship. Heck, even I don't! Therefore it doesn't make much marketing sense to invest a large amount of money into the GT4 GranTurismo.

On the other hand, investing little money they have the chance to say that Maserati is racing, as well as have something for the (few) gentlemen drivers that want to race a Maserati. And that's good for marketing.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well yes, but I doubt many potential Maserati owners know about the FIA GT4 championship. Heck, even I don't! Therefore it doesn't make much marketing sense to invest a large amount of money into the GT4 GranTurismo.

On the other hand, investing little money they have the chance to say that Maserati is racing, as well as have something for the (few) gentlemen drivers that want to race a Maserati. And that's good for marketing.
    the Trofeo should be enough for that.
    consider that in GT4 cars like the KTM and the Donkevoort are racing (and winning, only the KTM though), so building a GT4 version of the GranTurismo is completely senseless.
    incredibly, they already raised some orders from a couple of teams, but I don't know for which kind of usage. as I said, such a big and heavy car is hopeless against those small and light rockets. Save the money, focus on the Trofeo and invest them on a road version of it, which they are doing or are considering doing at the very least ( road version of the Trofeo I mean).

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    the Trofeo should be enough for that.
    consider that in GT4 cars like the KTM and the Donkevoort are racing (and winning, only the KTM though), so building a GT4 version of the GranTurismo is completely senseless.
    incredibly, they already raised some orders from a couple of teams, but I don't know for which kind of usage. as I said, such a big and heavy car is hopeless against those small and light rockets. Save the money, focus on the Trofeo and invest them on a road version of it, which they are doing or are considering doing at the very least ( road version of the Trofeo I mean).
    I think you've already answered yourself.

(And I doubt the GT4 car will be much different from the Trofeo)
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information