Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting...

a TT...why a TT...gotcha: it's probably the only pseudo-luxury small sportscar available on the market, that's why your mind decided to go for it.
    that said, if you go japanese, you will be seen as a ricer sooner or later (Niko is still on the right side of the sea though), if you go american you will have something twice big except for something like a Solstice which I think weren't available back in 2001, right?
    well, go for it, if it's cheap as hell though.
    Don't know something about it's reliability, but I suppose it wouldn't be different with another car.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Does it have something to do with AWD?
    Actually no. Altough it doesn't help, but there's always the front wheel drive versions.

It's more the fact that usually they charge you more for something that you can have new more cheaply usually. They also have for some reason unacceptable hard suspension and lifeless steering. They feel like they were designed by a comitee in order to make money on them. They just do what you expect them to do. They don't thrill you or excite the hooligan inside you.

And my uncles has had 3 A6s in a row. And the last two times he bought, first a maroon A6 Mk II diesel instead of Saab Viggen and the second a V6 engined A6 Mk III instead of a V8 Jag.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

RP, what Ducati do you have?

I suggest you keep it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    They just do what you expect them to do. They don't thrill you or excite the hooligan inside you.
    Those who are conned into enjoying Jason Statham films may say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    RP, what Ducati do you have?

I suggest you keep it!
    Its an '04 749 Dark. I suggest I keep it too, but I can't afford both lol. Unfortunately the bike has to go, because where I live it really is a luxury considering they're only usable for maximum 3 months out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    a TT...why a TT...gotcha: it's probably the only pseudo-luxury small sportscar available on the market, that's why your mind decided to go for it.
    that said, if you go japanese, you will be seen as a ricer sooner or later (Niko is still on the right side of the sea though), if you go american you will have something twice big except for something like a Solstice which I think weren't available back in 2001, right?
    well, go for it, if it's cheap as hell though.
    Don't know something about it's reliability, but I suppose it wouldn't be different with another car.

Any of the TTs so called competitors (Z3,Z4,Boxster,S2000,350Z) are all disqualified firstly because they (most) are convertibles (if thats not feminine then I don't know what is) and on top of that they are rear wheel drive. That's not going to get me anywhere in the snow.

I'm ready to accept the fact that the TT may not be a true sports car, but I have no problem driving an Allwheel drive Golf with a 225 hp 6 speed thats dressed in party clothes. Sounds kind of fun to be honest. That is essentially what it is anyway.

Rob, If 4WD is compulsory, and I think in Canada it is, than a Subaru WRC is so much more exciting, has character but might not be so frugal if you use all its possibilities.
    My former hairdresser drove a TT (and the current one a Citroen C5), and it also the car of our famous extreme right wing politician with the artificially blond hairs. I would not want to be seen in one....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Rob, If 4WD is compulsory, and I think in Canada it is, than a Subaru WRC is so much more exciting, has character but might not be so frugal if you use all its possibilities.
    My former hairdresser drove a TT (and the current one a Citroen C5), and it also the car of our famous extreme right wing politician with the artificially blond hairs. I would not want to be seen in one....
    That was like a virtual slap in the face. LOL. It probably wouldn't help either if I told you I had plans to chip it and chop the mufflers off would it. In the end it would still be a TT I guess. I'd have to look into the Subaru and see what they are going for now.

I must say I'm quite shocked at the negative feedback in regards to the Audi TT. I thought it to be one of the most popular coupes, and that it would at least be welcomed for being a nicer (IMO) VW Golf with AWD. But this is something else. Maybe I should spend the extra couple grand and step into the S4...or even subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche View Post
    That was like a virtual slap in the face. LOL. It probably wouldn't help either if I told you I had plans to chip it and chop the mufflers off would it. In the end it would still be a TT I guess. I'd have to look into the Subaru and see what they are going for now.

I must say I'm quite shocked at the negative feedback in regards to the Audi TT. I thought it to be one of the most popular coupes, and that it would at least be welcomed for being a nicer (IMO) VW Golf with AWD. But this is something else. Maybe I should spend the extra couple grand and step into the S4...or even subaru.
    I had not even given you my personal judgment of the TT.....A New Beetle were a heavy person sat on for a while..... or otherwise you could call it an slightly inflated Nissan Figaro....it simply does not do it for me. (If I remember correctly some of the first examples suffered from tricky handling too, but that you should ask an Audi expert.)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche View Post
    Well it's an Audi.

That kind of explains everything.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

AWD is not needed in Canada. In Toronto, the roads are cleared very fast and effectively. The FWD Golf I drive makes it by fine in winter and the snow is only often around on side roads - highways and main streets are cleared fast.

That being said, in rural Canada, AWD would be a very good option due to the poorer snow clearing systems.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I had not even given you my personal judgment of the TT.....A New Beetle were a heavy person sat on for a while..... or otherwise you could call it an slightly inflated Nissan Figaro....it simply does not do it for me. (If I remember correctly some of the first examples suffered from tricky handling too, but that you should ask an Audi expert.)
    I do recall the original TTs upon release did not have a spoiler. It was after quite a few fatalities from high speed crashes in these cars that they finally realized there was no downforce in the back. The drivers would take a corner and the tail would come right out and many people did die because of it. I have a minichamps model on my shelf of the original grey TT convertible spoilerless from when I was still in middleschool just to remind me of that.

I like your squashed bug analogy lol.

thought about a VW R32 of some kind? might end up being cheaper too, although the older ones i have no idea if they're good or not.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    AWD is not needed in Canada. In Toronto, the roads are cleared very fast and effectively. The FWD Golf I drive makes it by fine in winter and the snow is only often around on side roads - highways and main streets are cleared fast.

That being said, in rural Canada, AWD would be a very good option due to the poorer snow clearing systems.
    AWD is not needed in ALL of Canada. However, the country side where I live does require solid traction. Even though I am fairly close to town, its a very small city and all but the very main streets are left snow covered, along with many hills. My FWD RSX with winters was having difficulty making it up the street from my house alone. I find it far nicer to have AWD. When I was learning to drive, my folks used to lend me their 2000 Toyota 4Runner. Now there was an amazing snow machine.

After doing some reading of both professional and personal reviews along with a quick insurance quote, the B6 Audi S4 seems like a very nice choice. That way I still have my AWD, its looks great and not remotely feminine, and its quite the sleeper judging from the youtube vids I've watched. For a couple thousand more and a few years newer than the TT, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    thought about a VW R32 of some kind? might end up being cheaper too, although the older ones i have no idea if they're good or not.
    I'd considered an R32 Golf, but it must be brought up from the United States. They weren't released in Canada for whatever reason(s).

Thread Information