Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOTA outlines ambitious plans for F1's future

FOTA outlines ambitious plans for F1's future

After a much anticipated meeting in Geneva this week, FOTA (the Formula One Teams' Association) has unveiled its wishlist of ideas to move the sport forward and broaden the appeal to both fans and investors from 2010 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ITV
    The Formula One Teams’ Association has set out a wide-ranging ‘roadmap’ to improve Formula 1 in a press conference held in Geneva today (Thursday).

Drawing on the findings of extensive market research, FOTA recommends changing the points system with immediate effect, introducing standard Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) and shortening grand prix distances from 2010, and opening up the sport to fans and the media through a variety of initiatives.

The teams’ organisation underlined its growing confidence that it can shape the sport’s rules by declaring that its proposals – which were unanimously agreed by the 10 teams – “pending the approval of the FIA, will take effect in 2009 and/or 2010”.

It said its template for F1’s future was aimed at “increasing the stability, sustainability, substance and show” of the sport, and was informed by the findings of a FOTA-commissioned global audience survey carried out in 17 countries earlier this year.

“The study canvassed views of existing fans but also, for the first time, drew on insights from a cross-section of general and infrequent followers of the sport, in line with FOTA’s stated ambition to broaden as well as to deepen the appeal of Formula 1,” the organisation stated.

FOTA split its proposals into three categories – technical, sporting and commercial – and said they would “ensure the retention of Formula 1’s unique and essential sporting ‘DNA’, improve the show for all audiences, reduce costs, and increase the value proposition to the major stakeholders”.

The technical proposals largely confirmed previously announced measures aimed at slashing teams’ operating costs and maintaining a full grid through the global recession.

The main new proposal is to standardise KERS systems, which have proved a major new expense for F1 teams, through a tender process that would aim to fix their cost at €1-2 million per team per season.

As well as signing up to the FIA’s agenda of introducing more standard car components and banning exotic materials, FOTA is targeting a further 50% reduction in aerodynamic spending in 2010 and has agreed to standardise telemetry and radio systems.

Its central proposal on the sporting side is to restructure the points system to give a greater reward for winning – echoing Bernie Ecclestone’s criticism that the present 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 format discourages risk-taking and overtaking.

But whereas Ecclestone favoured awarding Olympic-style medals to the top three drivers and deciding the championship on the number of golds, FOTA believes a modest tweak to the present system will suffice.

It proposes awarding 12 points to the winner and nine points to the runner-up – increasing the differential by one point – with the third place finisher scoring seven points and the remainder of the points being distributed on the current 5-4-3-2-1 basis.

However, FOTA envisages further changes in 2010, billed as “radical new points-scoring opportunities” – suggesting as an example that the fastest race pit stop could be rewarded with a constructors’ championship bonus point.

Citing the results of its audience survey, FOTA said: “As with qualifying, all audiences want a meritocratic points-scoring system.

“This means that they want winning grands prix to count for more than it does currently.

“There is an indication that all audiences would like to see a greater points reward for winning grands prix.”

FOTA also proposes shortening race distances from 2010, pending the approval of commercial rights holder CVC.

It wants to bring the length of races down from 305km-310km on average (approximately 190 miles) to 250km (155 miles), which would reduce the typical race duration from 90 to 75 minutes.

The teams’ body said its research revealed no great enthusiasm for another major overhaul of the qualifying format, and categorically ruled out handicapping and reversed grids.

“When asked to consider alternative qualifying formats, all fan types expressed a modest preference for a meritocratically determined starting grid,” said FOTA.

“There was some degree of interest in allowing luck to play a part in shaping the starting order, but the general sentiment was that the fastest driver should always start from pole.”

It added that there was a more general “strong desire” from fans for F1 to remain meritocratic, rewarding the best drivers, cars and teams rather than artificially creating excitement through gimmicks.

“Consumer interest is driven most by appreciation of driver skill, overtaking and technology,” FOTA said.

“There is no evidence to suggest that grand prix formats need ‘tricking up’ via, for example, handicapping, sprint races, reversed grids or one-on-one pursuit races.

“Formula 1 audiences appreciate the traditional gladiatorial, high-tech nature of the sport and would not respond favourably to a perceived ‘dumbing down’ of the current format.”

FOTA also outlined an ambitious series of reforms designed to improve F1’s direct engagement with its audience and give the media greater access to information.

It recommends making driver autograph sessions – commonplace in US motorsport – mandatory from this season to give fans greater access to their heroes, making a nominated team spokesman available for TV interviews during grands prix and providing the media with more data to inform its coverage.

FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo hailed the fact that the teams were united behind such a wide-ranging reform agenda as further evidence of the cooperative spirit the organisation has fostered.

“This is an unprecedented moment in Formula 1 history,” he said.

“Above all else, for the first time the teams are unified and steadfast – with a clear, collective vision.

“Thanks to this unity, all the teams have already managed to make a significant reduction to their costs for 2009.

“And, while we will continue to compete vigorously on track, we all share one common goal: to work together to improve Formula 1 by ensuring its stability, sustainability, substance and show for the benefit of our most important stakeholder, namely the consumer.

“It is with this mindset that we now intend to work hard, with our partners at the FIA and FOM, our shared goal being to optimise the future of Formula 1.”
    From FOTA unveils 'roadmap' to better F1 - F1 | ITV Sport

Full statement from FOTA including all the quotes from the team bosses here: pitpass - the latest, hottest F1, GP2, GP2 Asia & A1GP news

Interesting to note that Nick Fry was present at the photo call this morning, giving further unofficial confirmation that the management buyout of Honda is going ahead as planned.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Not bad at all. I like the comment about the 'gimmicks' with which I wholeheartedly agree.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

No word about the standard engine. Is it already a done deal, or swept from the table?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

this is a breath of fresh air. I havent heard a set of proposals where I like every proposal until now. There is nothing there that I disagree with, and in fact I prefer most of those recommendations to the current set up. The team rep available for interviews is a very cool idea, and i think the mandatory autograph sessions would be good to bring the relatively isolated drivers further out into the public fold. And that they dont want some stupid un-natural reshaping of the grid, and have the research syaing the public doesnt want it either to back it up, is much more comforting than relying on Bernie's whims.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    I just don't care about F1 anymore. It's painfully boring and all thes new proposal they're planning are only going to make it all the worse. If you want good, exciting racing, go to a local race circuit and watch a low cost, few rules, club race. Much better.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    I just don't care about F1 anymore. It's painfully boring and all thes new proposal they're planning are only going to make it all the worse. If you want good, exciting racing, go to a local race circuit and watch a low cost, few rules, club race. Much better.
    You should take a look at the new Red Bull Adrian Newey penned. It's quite exquisite from a technical point of view. He has incorporated pull-rods for the first time in F1 since the 1980s. Perhaps they can create a big upset.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

pull rod was used by Arrows back in early 2000s....

At any rate I like the new points, I like increased fan exposure, but I don't like shorter races. They are already running less track time, you are just taking away more viewing oppotunity for the paying public at the track....the cost cutting measures seem sound, except I hope they let the team who does have 2 tunnels use both instead of limit them to one, since that's a concious decision by teams about their investment...just give them an accountable cap and let them have at it. Or introduce a homologation process for updates and limit the frequency they can apply updates...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Yes, I'm not entirely sold on the logic behind less track time and shorter races. How can a they think that will help entertain fans when by the time you've taken you seats, the race is halfway over....

After attending two F1 races I can tell you the 2 hours goes by very fast.

Shortening the race will accomplish nothing constructive. I would rather shorten the silly qualy format that I have never liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    Yes, I'm not entirely sold on the logic behind less track time and shorter races. How can a they think that will help entertain fans when by the time you've taken you seats, the race is halfway over....
    Maybe it adds competition through fuel/pit strategy. I don't mind the idea personally but I haven't been to an F1 race in person either.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

What are pull-rods?

i think that shortening the race would benefit TV audiences. With a shorter race you would have more viewers through the duration of the race, instead of the people flipping to it during the commercials on what they're really watching. i would be interested in races, but i know that that would be even unfriendlier to TVs, since a channel wouldn't want to give up that much time.

and i like the qualifying system. more interesting to watch than everyone just getting one flying lap. a lot more strategy involved too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What are pull-rods?
    Long time no see, the pull rod suspension - F1technical.net

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i think that shortening the race would benefit TV audiences. With a shorter race you would have more viewers through the duration of the race, instead of the people flipping to it during the commercials on what they're really watching. i would be interested in races, but i know that that would be even unfriendlier to TVs, since a channel wouldn't want to give up that much time.

and i like the qualifying system. more interesting to watch than everyone just getting one flying lap. a lot more strategy involved too.
    I don't think most of the world has commercials during the race, at least they didn't used to.

But you've hit on a point regarding what is good for TV and still keep live audiences entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I don't think most of the world has commercials during the race, at least they didn't used to.

But you've hit on a point regarding what is good for TV and still keep live audiences entertained.
    we get lots of commercials.. and when its on Fox, and not on Speed, its even worse, with commercials comprising almost as much time as racing.

Thread Information