Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lola Aston Martin LMP1

Lola Aston Martin LMP1

Just ran across this beauty over at Autoblog. Not too hi-res pics just yet, but hopefully you get the idea. All images taken from autoblog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bump for 2 more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

doesn't look as "interesting" as other new cars....certainly looks good styling wise though...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Lol, I see this thread has been renamed to Lola Aston Martin.

Sorry, didn't know this car originated from a Lola chassis. Still, good looking in my estimation.

I like the subtle keeping of the Aston grill, it'd be very cool if the instrument binnacle keeps the same theme inside like early Astons. They should try to get some shots of this car with the Lola Aston T70.

I like the Gulf colors. Quite a classic racing garb.

The smaller 2009 LMP wings do not look good. The new Lola Aston Martin LMP1 looks better than the new Audi R15 and Peugeot 908. The Dome S102 Judd, though, looks the best.
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Peugeot 908 is my favorite looking closed top LMP, the Acura for open top... Not a big fan of the Lola-AM.

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    The Dome S102 Judd, though, looks the best.
    Agreed, that is one very smooth car, almost 3.5 Group C from some angles, but with some Toyota TS 020 from others.

As interesting as it is for Aston Martin to be back at the top level of racing, I question what exactly this does for Aston Martin. Are potential Aston customers interested in how well AM does at Le Mans? Does this really grow their name in emerging markets? Is this just the desire of the ownership/management to race?

In short - what is the marketing reasons for why AM is racing?

The same reason can be asked for anybody....recent years, other than Audi who really does seem to be pushing their diesel development, I don't see tangible benefit for racing. You always have Ferrari or Porsche who does well in racing, and then you have Lambo who never race. All seem to do fine for their market segment. Other than increasing their brand prestige, I don't see any other reason...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Considering AM is now owned by Prodrive.... I would imagine that would be one of the only reasons behind the move to LMP1, otherwise I agree with both of you.

I realise from the pics its hard to tell but it doesn't look as though its a LMP1 car in terms of Aero, it still has the LMP2 feel about it. one wonders how it will go in any high down force circuits, where it appears to be designed with one track in mind... the Sarthe
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

It looks still with much of the Lola intact, the the sharply sculpted front corner should be able to install diveplanes for high downforce track the same way as the Lola does...and Lola's P1 and P2 cars shares many common feature, and was quite competitive in both the closed and open top trim, on most race tracks they raced on. So I'd imagine it should be fine......mind you, "competitive" is a relative term, since factory cars do have an advantage traditionally over privateer, which all Lolas were...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by KFA-R View Post
    Considering AM is now owned by Prodrive.... I would imagine that would be one of the only reasons behind the move to LMP1, otherwise I agree with both of you.

I realise from the pics its hard to tell but it doesn't look as though its a LMP1 car in terms of Aero, it still has the LMP2 feel about it. one wonders how it will go in any high down force circuits, where it appears to be designed with one track in mind... the Sarthe
    No. Here is the press release from exactly two years ago.

Also, LMP wings are smaller for 2009.

Mulsanne's Corner News

1987: Ford buys 75% stake
    1994: Ford takes full control

Ford Motor Company press release:

FORD ANNOUNCES AGREEMENT TO SELL ASTON MARTIN

DEARBORN, Mich., March, 12, 2007 – Ford Motor Company [NYSE: F] announced today it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell Aston Martin, its prestigious sports car business, to a consortium comprised of David Richards, John Sinders, Investment Dar and Adeem Investment Co. This transaction is the result of Ford's decision, as announced in August 2006, to explore strategic options for the Aston Martin business as the company restructures its core automotive operations and builds liquidity.

The sale is expected to close during the second quarter and is subject to customary closing conditions, including applicable regulatory approvals. The transaction values Aston Martin at £479 million ($925 million). As part of the transaction, Ford will retain a £40 million ($77 million) investment in Aston Martin. Other terms and conditions specific to the sale are not being disclosed at this time.

"The sale of Aston Martin supports the key objectives of the company, to restructure to operate profitably at lower volumes and changed model mix and to speed the development of new products," said Alan Mulally, Ford's President and chief executive officer. "From Aston Martin's point of view, the sale will provide access to additional capital, which will allow Aston Martin to continue the growth it has experienced under Ford's stewardship. Today's announcement is good for Ford Motor Company, good for Aston Martin and good for the UK. We wish Aston Martin every possible success for the future."

The new owner of Aston Martin is a consortium comprised of: David Richards, founder and chairman of Prodrive, a world-leading motorsport and automotive technology company; John Sinders, an avid Aston Martin collector and a backer of Aston Martin Racing; and Investment Dar and Adeem Investment Co, international investment companies headquartered in Kuwait.

----

(end of press release)

prodrive

Aston Martin's CEO, Dr. Ulrich Bez, wanted Aston Martin back in GT racing and not Le Mans Prototypes or open-wheel racing so ignore the F1 rumors. Dr. Ulrich Bez used to work at Porsche and helped keep Porsche alive in the early to mid 1990s with the 968 and 993.

This article claims that Aston Martin made $77,508,000 in 2006.

Ford Motor sells Aston Martin for £450 million - Times Online

"Despite Prodrive's strong background in all-wheel drive, the new owners said that no sport/utility vehicles—or even awd products—are in the Aston pipeline."

- Aston Martin Sold: AutoWeek Magazine

(note Aston Martin has built sedans before and after WWII)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    As interesting as it is for Aston Martin to be back at the top level of racing, I question what exactly this does for Aston Martin. Are potential Aston customers interested in how well AM does at Le Mans? Does this really grow their name in emerging markets? Is this just the desire of the ownership/management to race?

In short - what is the marketing reasons for why AM is racing?
    because Le Mans-style racing isn't fake. Aston Martin Racing wasn't just formed to sell cars like Toyota is in NASCAR to sell pickup trucks. There are engineering benefits of AMR.

Toyota raises dust in NASCAR: AutoWeek Magazine

I like the exhaust exit of the new Lola Aston Martin LMP1.

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...T_jour2_10.jpg
    Last edited by togos452; 03-12-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: exhaust by rear wing
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    because Le Mans-style racing isn't fake. Aston Martin Racing wasn't just formed to sell cars like Toyota is in NASCAR to sell pickup trucks. There are engineering benefits of AMR.
    Really? What engineering benefits exactly are applied from these LMPs to street cars? Does racing really improve the breed anymore these days?

Thread Information