Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic car show, Canberra ACT

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Funny story how I found out it was on...

Went for a haircut on Saturday and tried a new barber, an elderly gent in Mawson who's shop happened to be adorned with lots of model cars and automotive pics. We got talking (as you do with your barber) and he told me about his Corvette .. as did I .. and he mentioned of exhibiting it at the show

While we were chatting I noticed an almost empty bottle of upper cylinder lubricant on the counter amid the models. It was this well known brand

So I joking asked if he was going to hit me with that gunk as an eu de cologne. His reply was that he used it to lubricate his electric shears (the ones he was currently using .. on me!) and that it was the best stuff he'd used in 43 years of cutting hair

It was about then I noticed a new and slimy countenance to my just-washed hair and neck coupled to a definitive oily pong

So be forewarned mate if you ever want to get your hair cut in Mawson!

(thanks for the Auto Italia tip and maybe I'll see you there)
    Duly noted. I usually just go to the Roger David Barber in Woden. Cheap, efficient, and it grows back quickly

Who knows - Auto Italia is going to be fairly awesome though. Autumn + Italian Cars FTW photographically.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

#2 & 3: In contrast this tiny FIAT with lovely headlights. Is that an OHC engine I spy under this neat alloy cover?
    I fail to see how that car would be from the sixties

Exellent stuff btw
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I fail to see how that car would be from the sixties
    I think you meant to quote that:
    #1: Austin Princess limousine from the 1960s, a big machine.
    And it is in fact from the 50's.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think you meant to quote that:

never mind, I fu**ed up. I'm always very tired after an exam (crossing fingers).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    never mind, I fu**ed up. I'm always very tired after an exam (crossing fingers).
    Don't worry I've had an exam too today.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    Aye , aye those Fairmonts still makes my heart beating faster and faster Especially those without the shaker.........
    Just regarding that particular burgundy Fairmont XY (post #5 pics #1 & 2) I neglected to mention that the shaker, along with its spoiler and Ford 'five slot' sports wheels, are items not strictly accurate to Australian-spec XY Fairmonts.

Instead they are 'signature' items belonging to the XY GT model, and in the case of the spoiler to XY GT-HO. I guess they could have indeed been fitted as dealer extras to non-GTs before delivery, moreso the spoiler and wheels, but I doubt their authenticity in regards to having been incorporated in Ford's production-line process.

Btw I've seen (and heard) that burgundy Fairmont getting around Canberra; the motor sounds much modified and to be in an extremely high state of tune, and nowhere near its originally mild 351C 2V specification. However imo its refreshing to see such a collectible-specification car which retains its original visual authenticity and thus integrity (complimentary period-accurate extras notwithstanding) inside and out, including factory paint colour and standard-dimension wheels. No hideous Monster Tacho rubbish or unsympathetically modern oversized mags! Indeed from a quick look it appeared this 38 y/o car still wore its original 1971 paintwork

To clarify for you, the Australian-manufactured but South African-assembled Fairmont GT you're familiar with, are AFAIK essentially a rebadged Oz-spec Falcon GT, with full GT mechanicals & suspension etc. Unlike in SA, our Oz Fairmonts (and Falcons) could not be had with the premium 351 4V, which was only fitted to GT, GT-HO, LTD and Landau coupe (and 1969 Fairlane). Before 1976, every other model/engine combo was restricted to 2V carburation and lower compression, even when optioned with 351 V8. Btw in Oz all Falcon GT models since 1967 included Fairmont-level interior fitout as part of their sport-luxury model definition

Personally I favour the earleir, more classic XW styling (your non-Shaker model) but the (XY-fitment) Shaker itself is a fun item, and functional too

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Thanks for the correction Ferrer; I plead fatigue due to such a long posting session (will edit for accuracy)
    Last edited by nota; 03-23-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks for the correction Ferrer; I plead fatigue due to such a long posting session (will edit for accuracy)
    You're welcome.

And don't worry, the excellent amount of information more than makes up for it.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information