Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Corvette (C6) GT1 Championship Edition 2009

Chevrolet Corvette (C6) GT1 Championship Edition 2009

Chevrolet Introduces 2009 Corvette GT1 Championship Edition at Sebring 12-Hour Race

Chevrolet and Corvette Racing introduce a limited edition to commemorate a decade of success

SEBRING, Fla., March 20, 2009 – Today Chevrolet introduced the limited production GT1 Championship Edition Corvettes at Sebring International Raceway. The GT1 Championship Edition (Regular Production Option GT1) commemorates the success of Corvette Racing and the Corvette C6.R:

Eight American Le Mans Series GT1 manufacturers and team championships
    Five-time 24 Hours of Le Mans class champions
    74 victories in international sports car competition

Included in the GT1 Championship Edition package:

Graphics inspired by C6.R livery feature Corvette Racing "Jake" mascot, ALMS championships, and driver flags
    ZR1-style body color full-width spoiler and chrome wheels
    Custom leather-wrapped ebony interior with exclusive yellow accent stitching
    GT1 embroidery on leather seats, instrument panel, and center console armrest
    Special engine cover with carbon pattern and yellow Corvette lettering
    Windshield banner (owner installed)

GT1 Championship Edition to be produced in Corvette coupe, convertible and Z06 models in spring 2009:

Available in 45U Velocity Yellow (with black headlamps) or 41U Black
    Specific VIN sequence 300001 series for 45U Velocity Yellow representing the No. 3 Corvette C6.R
    Specific VIN sequence 400001 series for 41U Black representing the No. 4 Corvette C6.R
    Production limited to 100 per each color and body style combination (600 total)
    Coupe and convertible versions also include Z51 Performance Package and NPP Performance Exhaust
    Optional MX0 6-speed paddle shift automatic on coupe and convertible
    Optional C2L dual roof package on coupe
    Optional U3U Navigation System on all models

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), one of the world’s largest automakers, was founded in 1908, and today manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries. With its global headquarters in Detroit, GM employs 252,000 people in every major region of the world, and sells and services vehicles in some 140 countries. In 2008, GM sold 8.35 million cars and trucks globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. GM’s largest national market is the United States, followed by China, Brazil, the United Kingdom, Canada, Russia and Germany. GM’s OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at General Motors | Corporate Website | GM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Typical GM decal crap.

Looks cheesed and the polished rims.....ick.

Me no likey. YUCK!
    "Consider all things - the events of your past and the possibilities for tommorow.
    Let nothing stop you from becoming the architect of your future." - Nicholas Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Typical GM decal crap.

Looks cheesed and the polished rims.....ick.
    If this helps justify the racing program to the GM top brass then I am all for it. It would be a real shame to see Corvette Racing disappear.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    If this helps justify the racing program to the GM top brass then I am all for it. It would be a real shame to see Corvette Racing disappear.
    There are very few programs GM sticks with....it is shocking the Vette's got support as long as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    There are very few programs GM sticks with....it is shocking the Vette's got support as long as they did.
    Probably because it is the single most successful program the company has at the moment.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

it's embarrassing to see them fighting each others in a two cars race though.
    I'm pro this car as for the reson you said, but I would have preferred something more than a sticker, say bespoke suspensions setup and brakes, or something.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Probably because it is the single most successful program the company has at the moment.
    Isn't it their most successful vehicle as well?

It also helps that when they move to GT2 class, it will be closer to the street version (I believe) so it would help them out even more. It also brings the guys from NASCAR over to real racing.
    "Consider all things - the events of your past and the possibilities for tommorow.
    Let nothing stop you from becoming the architect of your future." - Nicholas Hill

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    it's embarrassing to see them fighting each others in a two cars race though.
    That's not their fault. It's commendable that they still race and give the fans the opportunity to watch one of the best endurance racing teams in action. From Mid Ohio onwards, they'll be in the GT2 class, which should worry the rest of the competitors.

(Ted Joans)

I guess the +50 year history and the fact that the race car looks a lot like the road car also help.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Personally I don't think it looks bad but I'd definitely be wanting some sort of better upgrades to make it worthwhile.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Come on guys. It's still a Z06 so we all know it can perform, and if you just get the standard C6 coupe or vert they give you the Z51 performance package and NPP Performance Exhaust.

There is a soft spot fore special edition Corvettes, just like there is a soft spot for the eleventy billion special edition Mustangs. GM will undoubtedly make money off these things.

Oh and the seats are tits.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Yeah its just when you use a name like "GT1" people expect things... They should have just called it a Z06 Championship Special or something of the sort.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Thread Information