View Poll Results: Was it the Right for the United States to drop the atomic bomb on Japan

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 57.41%
  • No

17 31.48%
  • No Opinion

6 11.11%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Atomic Bomb Poll.

Operation Downfall was the overall Allied plan for the invasion of Japan near the end of World War II. The operation was cancelled when Japan surrendered after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the Soviet Union's declaration of war against Japan.

Operation Downfall had two parts: Operation Olympic and Operation Coronet. Set to begin in October 1945, Operation Olympic was intended to capture the southern third of the southernmost main Japanese island, Kyūshū, with the recently captured island of Okinawa to be used as a staging area.

Later, in spring 1946, Operation Coronet was the planned invasion of the Kantō plain, near Tokyo, on the Japanese island of Honshū. Airbases on Kyūshū captured in Operation Olympic would allow land-based air support for Operation Coronet.

Japan's geography made this invasion plan obvious to the Japanese as well; they were able to predict accurately the Allied invasion plans and accordingly adjust their defensive plan, Operation Ketsugō. The Japanese planned an all-out defense of Kyūshū, with little left in reserve for any subsequent defense operations.

Casualty predictions varied widely but were extremely high for both sides: depending on the degree to which Japanese civilians resisted the invasion, estimates ran into the millions for Allied casualties[1] and tens of millions for Japanese casualties.
    I think that might answer the question.

^^^^^^ not really as it only presents that one option that is used a ll the time to "justify" the atomic bomb.

Another jopint US/UK plan had a protracted blockade and limited contact with an invasion in 1947.

Also the US Navy supported a naval blockade and the US Air force the capture of airstrips in CHina and other areas allowing them to bomb with low risk and high rate.

BUT, powerful folks in US administation and armed forces didn't want that. THey wanted to end it quickly and decisevely and so called for the bomb.

Also the American public was very tired of the war and those extra two years would have been extremely unpopular.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

yeah 2 years later getting in and wanting to get out sooner
    Everybody else had already given those 2 years and were OK with going longer to reduce overal casualties !

Seriously though, yes the people were tired of it. But am not convinced that's a good reason for killing more of the opposing nation

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Seriously though, yes the people were tired of it. But am not convinced that's a good reason for killing more of the opposing nation
    Pfft, haven't you ever read The Stranger.

^^ nope, give us a link or author
    Equally have you read any of the hardships and lifestyle effects in Europe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^^ nope, give us a link or author
    The Stranger (L’Étranger) is an existentialist work in which the main character kills a man because he is tired, hungover, and the sun is in his eyes. The book is also absurdist (if that is an -ism) and the main character's actions generally make no sense. It was a bad joke, nothing more.
    EDIT: It's by Albert Camus.
    Equally have you read any of the hardships and lifestyle effects in Europe ?
    Caused by the bombings? No. I have read some interviews but never full-on books. Except, of course, for the infamous Mr. Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.

I just thought about this a little different.

If I worked it out right, Nazi Germany was responsible for about 2500 deaths a day during their tenure.

The US government of the time on the other hand, while not causing as many deaths (yet?), was responsible for about 73500 deaths a day in a space of three days.

That doesn't say much, but asking whether it was the "right" of the US to drop atom bombs is like asking does the US have a free pass to commit mass murder.

Thread Information