View Poll Results: Was it the Right for the United States to drop the atomic bomb on Japan

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 57.41%
  • No

17 31.48%
  • No Opinion

6 11.11%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Atomic Bomb Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I feel these things are not given the attention that they deserve, and frankly, the fixation on Jewish life lost in World War II only gives fuel to the Neo-nazis fire.
    I actually agree with this to a degree. I mean, being Jewish I am naturally sympathetic, but the only reason I can think of for the (nearly excessive) attention is how large a portion of our population it was.

Yet, I cannot imagine the gypsy population did not suffer similarly? Among other groups, at that.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

What I always find interesting about World War II civilian deaths are a few things and how they are interpreted. The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are frequently brought up as examples and only certain people can think of say Dresden, or the Blitz, or any of the other major bombings in Europe. The Holocaust where 6 million Jews died is frequently mentioned, but the other 3-5 million other victims of genocide in Germany are often forgotten. What about the Red Army's war crimes? Or the Japanese slaughter of what, 10 million+ Chinese? I feel these things are not given the attention that they deserve, and frankly, the fixation on Jewish life lost in World War II only gives fuel to the Neo-nazis fire.

Ninja'd.
    Yeah, I don't know why the Rape of Nanjing isn't covered more. By some estimates, the Japanese might have killed an equivalent amount of people as the Nazis did. But no one talks about it at all. I'm not saying that Jewish lives aren't as important as any other lives, but at least give fair coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why the Rape of Nanjing isn't covered more. By some estimates, the Japanese might have killed an equivalent amount of people as the Nazis did. But no one talks about it at all. I'm not saying that Jewish lives aren't as important as any other lives, but at least give fair coverage.
    It's not Jew and gentiles, it's whites and non-whites. This is why most Western historians seem fixated on the European theater in my opinion.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

.....and only certain people can think of say Dresden, or the Blitz, or any of the other major bombings in Europe......

Ninja'd.

credit goes to Kurt Vonnegut Jr....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 03-28-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

Not only that, the Japanese are also constantly denying it, their national position changes from PM to PM. The only people who constantly bring it up are the Mainland Chinese(who no one listens to because somehow because they are commie and have sketchy human right record history from their side somehow become less valid, even when this predates their government), and the Taiwan Chinese, who no one acknowledges. While the rest of the world embraces the Japanese culture to some idol worshipping level.

I like Japanese stuff as much as the next Asian dude, but it'll always be in the back of my head being a Chinese....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I actually agree with this to a degree. I mean, being Jewish I am naturally sympathetic, but the only reason I can think of for the (nearly excessive) attention is how large a portion of our population it was.

Yet, I cannot imagine the gypsy population did not suffer similarly? Among other groups, at that.
    Well the fact of the matter is it may get special attention because it was the Nazis goal to eliminate the entire race.

I don't think it's "nearly excessive" attention, but just that the other atrocities in the modern era are not given enough attention.

I think that has to do with affluence. People don't care about groups that they think are "dirty."

That's why many similar travesties can occur today in third world countries and not too many people care. It's not another Holocaust b/c it is happening to poor people. It's a shame.
    You can call me scott.

Hey Everyone thank you so much for all your feedback this is great for my report
    No Me Gusta Tu Coche

getting back to the original question, the atomic bomb was necessary to save lives in the long run. japan had a strategy to arm the populous and fight an invasion tooth and nail. with women and children using everything from guns to bamboo spears to attack troops. it would have meant hundreds of thousands of american lives, and millions of japanese lives. by demonstrating the level of force that the US could deliver, and the willingness to use it on anyone, it was the single event that convinced Tojo and Hirohito that they could not come out of an invasion positively. the japanese did not want to surrender and it was only under extreme duress that they did.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I'm gonna vote no opinion, simply because I could never be in full command of all the facts that were available to the decision makers back in that day. And without that, I don't see how I could (if that decision were weighted entirely on my shoulders) make an informed choice. My opinion, as such, tends to be caught somewhere in the middle on this one. On one hand, using such a powerful weapon on civilians seems unimaginable in the age we now live in. But on the other, the Japanese were not a force to be taken lightly...nor would they have laid down arms in defeat for anything but the most definitive of Allied displays of might. As mentioned earlier, wiping out an entire city with this new bomb did not evoke a surrender....why would a "scare" bombing have worked? Granted, I probably would have tried it anyways....but there's no way to be sure the Japanese warmachine would have flinched. If anything, they may have interpreted such a "warning" as a sign of the U.S.' unwillingness to commit to the use of the bomb tactically.....a.k.a.: weakness.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

I don't quite understand everything that happened during these times, but from what I do understand it would have been only another few weeks/months before the US was assured victory in Japan when the Bombs were dropped.

I think it's an abhorrent thing to have done, but War is hell. While that doesn't excuse it, no one can deny it had the desired effect.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

saved russia and china a lot of time thats for sure, i`m all for the nukes and got 1.5ish billion people that agree
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Right? Probably not. Awesome? Yes.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

to be quite candid, a lot of it is the fact that the Jews are major players in the world these days and essentially run the media. Gypsi's, slavs, and russians do not. the jew have managed to convince most people who dont know much that they were the only people who suffered from german war crimes.

ever been the holocaust museum? that thing is dedicated almost entirely to jews (i wonder who it was financed by?) when in reality (and please correct me if im wrong) im under the impression that more russians/slavs/eastern european non-jews were slaughtered/"cleansed" than jews were
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    It's not Jew and gentiles, it's whites and non-whites. This is why most Western historians seem fixated on the European theater in my opinion.
    To a certain extent yeah, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Not only that, the Japanese are also constantly denying it, their national position changes from PM to PM. The only people who constantly bring it up are the Mainland Chinese(who no one listens to because somehow because they are commie and have sketchy human right record history from their side somehow become less valid, even when this predates their government), and the Taiwan Chinese, who no one acknowledges. While the rest of the world embraces the Japanese culture to some idol worshipping level.

I like Japanese stuff as much as the next Asian dude, but it'll always be in the back of my head being a Chinese....
    Didn't know you were Chinese. I am too. You're right, it is in the back of my head too, but I also like Japanese culture, but like you said I don't hold a grudge anymore. It was the thinking of those in the past, I doubt anyone has the same type of thinking anyway. Plus, if you (any group) keep hating them, it doesn't help anyone in the end.

Sorry for kind of throwing this thread off topic by the way.

Thread Information