• Reading

2 9.52%
  • Spa

19 90.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading vs Spa-Francorchamps

Reading vs Spa-Francorchamps

Ok, I have been having an arguement with people about the following:
    Reading Festival or Track day at Spa-Francorchamps.

Reading Festival - £266 ish...
    Kings Of Leon
    Arctic Monkeys
    Radio Head
    Kaiser Chiefs
    The Prodigy
    Bloc Party
    Placebo
    Maximo Park
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Fall Out Boy
    Ian Brown
    Vampire Weekend
    Deftones
    The Courteeners
    Brand New
    Funeral For A Friend
    Enter Shikari
    Eagles Of Death Metal

Spa-Francorchamps: £279
    Open Pit
    No noise limit
    Caterham Superlight

Discuss.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Being a car forum the answer is probably going to be somewhat biased.

I'd go to Belgium myself...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

thats a tough one... those are some of my favorite bands, and all in one shot would be overwhelming. but i had to side with Spa. it would be such an immense experience to drive that track with that car.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Being a car forum the answer is probably going to be somewhat biased.

I'd go to Belgium myself...
    I figured that we all enjoy music too though. But I was looking for a bias view...
    Just call me Tom

It is simple:
    You can drive on the track
    You cannot play with any of those bands.
    Cross the Channel.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Reading would be good, but Spa would just be such an unbelievably fantastic experience I think it's gotta win!

I have a soft spot for music, and when a festival includes some of your favorite bands, it's hard to beat that. But, having been to both a festival, or a concert of my favorite band (Tool), and to a race event (F1 qualifying session, Italian GT FIAT GT rounds (even with VIP pass) and a few others) I can say the experience at a race event is much more enlightening, even if perhaps the involvement at a music festival is better.
    But, if are talking about a track day, which involves actual driving, a Caterham and one of the best track in the world, the answer is so obvious I forgot the question.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Looking from the votes the original thread starter has already made a decision.....you will finally get a chance to see how steep the Raidillon really is...Before the track became permanent, it was part of the public road and it really is something special, like facing a wall.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Looking from the votes the original thread starter has already made a decision.....you will finally get a chance to see how steep the Raidillon really is...Before the track became permanent, it was part of the public road and it really is something special, like facing a wall.
    I vividly remember that from the back seat of my father's Citroen BX in my child seat They drove over it and were wondering how many gas stations were really here..Before realizing it was the pit lane

I'm the ONLY ONE who chose Reading?!? well then:

my reasoning is that you never know when these bands will play again at the same venue, that said, there will always be a caterham light and a track to tear it up in someplace, sometime. Now, I'm not a fan of a lot of those bands, and I would have taken SPA myself, but in my decision I tried to weight the gravity of such a line-up in the SUKA's mind, after all, he did consider these two events to be somewhat equivalent in social experience. So, if I was SUKA, I would go for reading, but if I was me, I'd go to SPA...

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    I'm the ONLY ONE who chose Reading?!? well then:

my reasoning is that you never know when these bands will play again at the same venue, that said, there will always be a caterham light and a track to tear it up in someplace, sometime. Now, I'm not a fan of a lot of those bands, and I would have taken SPA myself, but in my decision I tried to weight the gravity of such a line-up in the SUKA's mind, after all, he did consider these two events to be somewhat equivalent in social experience. So, if I was SUKA, I would go for reading, but if I was me, I'd go to SPA...
    correct, but at so big festivals you are really going to enjoy the quality of the music or the line up, just the massive fun with friends and people, and I assume an flood of alcohol too.
    Not that it's bad thing to have such an experience, but it doens't really matter at a certain point what's happening on the stage.
    I would still go to SPA, even being Suka.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Suka View Post
    I figured that we all enjoy music too though. But I was looking for a bias view...
    You know what, I don't know most of the bands you listed...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think I need to clarify my opinion.
    I don't actually want to go to Reading, it was just an arguement between friends. I can't understand why you would pay that sort of money to go to this sort of an event. I find that the majority of these bands are a huge let down to go and see live anyway! Most of their album material is polished beyond their ability to actually play the track. The last gig I paid to go to was Party in the Park in a town near me, a load of top class local bands played an open air stage and the atmosphere was amazing. Before that it was Bowling for Soup in a room the same size as a tennis court! I could pay to see both, more than twice(!) for the cost of a ticket to one of these modern day festivals. My friend asked me to find something else for the money that would be better, so I went straight to bookatrack.com...

My Dad just commented my mini rant I posted on facebook. He said the last time he was at Reading Festival the tickets were £15.95 for the weekend, those must have been good times.
    Just call me Tom

SPA anyday. There's no participation in Reading, while track involves actual driving, and especially in a Caterham...

I'm a musician myself, and I have to admit, unless you're playing in it, it's pretty boring to watch.

I sided with the music

Thread Information