Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future!

The future!

Hi,

I know most of you might not really be interested in green verhicles at the moment, but still I wanted to open this discussion

I'm wondering how you think about these technologies, what do you think has the future and how will this be done, both technological as well as legislation wise and so on..

Last week I have been present on a few different days on the Amsterdam Motor Show. I got the chance to drive a Tesla Roadster on the press day. The experience was nice, but with all the developments the market is slowly adjusting their focus. I have had some very interesting discussions with multiple people from the business/automotive scene, including our own minister of transportation and prime minister.

You can clearly see the developments going fast now. IMO full electric vehicles have the future, maybe connected to a diesel engine (serial hybrid). Fuel cells are nice but getting it commercially viable is very difficult I think.

What is your view on this ? Did you ever drive a electric vehicle or a hybrid ? Did you like it ? What has more future ? Electric, more efficient diesel/petrol engines, fuel cells or perhaps something else ?

switching to full electric cars would make sense only if we enlarge the network for the production of the elctricity.
    Bigger plants are also more efficient, up to the 60%, an if people would be smart enough to charge the cars during the night, the plants wouldn't have to slow done are adopt expensive and complex flywheels, which both reduce the efficiency (less the flywheels obviously).
    right now the range is fair enough for the majority of users, serial hybrids would be perfect for those who drive really a lot, everyday, not every now and then.
    Maybe diesel engines would be better for serial hybrids, even if it isn't required a lot of power and therefore a smaller turbo petrol engine would be much easier to adopt and fit.

for the forthcoming future I don't see this is going to happen, full electric cars I mean, while serial hybrids (both petrol and diesel) will surely increase, they are cheap and even still relying on fuel, which is a big interest in the overall economic situation (oil, it's still the black gold after all).

Fuel cell and hydrogen cars are probably not going to happen period.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I think we need to see plug-in diesel hybrids. The torque characteristics of diesels are better suited to running as a generator than a petrol engine, and with advances in batteries and electric motors we could see hybrids where the diesel only charges the batteries, not drives the car. There also needs to be more hybrid versions of existing cars, not special (and fugly) hybrid models. But people are so vain and self-important these days that's not gonna happen.

Also, motorbikes.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

you guys know whats a simpler yet just as effective solution to help the environment? STOP HAVING BABIES. europeans are good at it. the rest of the world needs to stop ****ing.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

im guessing for the near future more efficient gasoline engines (including hybrids) are probably the ticket. I say this because thats what the system revolves around now. I also think biofuels will become more popular like they already have in the midwest with ethanol. 10-25 years

as far as the more distant future goes i think there will be more and more hybrids as battery technology increases. I think GM has a great idea on its hands with Volt if they can get the thing to be cost effective. Also, i think as solar power becomes better/cheaper it would be a great idea to have solar paneled roofs, hoods and trunks on cars and trucks charging the batteries as your drive and park.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    europeans are good at it. the rest of the world needs to stop ****ing.
    i dont want to get too side tracked here but isn't that kind of a double edged sword for europe right now? doesn't europe rely a lot on immigration to fill the gap caused by less babies and aren't there starting to be some issues with these immigrants having a lot more babies than the non immigrant population?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    im guessing for the near future more efficient gasoline engines (including hybrids) are probably the ticket. I say this because thats what the system revolves around now. I also think biofuels will become more popular like they already have in the midwest with ethanol. 10-25 years

as far as the more distant future goes i think there will be more and more hybrids as battery technology increases. I think GM has a great idea on its hands with Volt if they can get the thing to be cost effective. Also, i think as solar power becomes better/cheaper it would be a great idea to have solar paneled roofs, hoods and trunks on cars and trucks charging the batteries as your drive and park.
    one meter square of a good solar panel can produce a peak of 100 Wh, which is quite a low figure in an automotive application. Still you could use the energy to power the auxiliaries and interiors' stuff.

i dont want to get too side tracked here but isn't that kind of a double edged sword for europe right now? doesn't europe rely a lot on immigration to fill the gap caused by less babies and aren't there starting to be some issues with these immigrants having a lot more babies than the non immigrant population?
    condoms.
    immigrants are welcomed for me. and they don't seem to have so many children, they can use/use condoms too.

You know I briefly entertained the idea of a vasectomy, as insurance coverage from my girlfriend . People should know there's always in vitro; this would mean that the mistakes won’t be born anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    You know I briefly entertained the idea of a vasectomy, as insurance coverage from my girlfriend . People should know there's always in vitro; this would mean that the mistakes won’t be born anymore.
    out of curiosity, and very on topic talking about "the future", what's the price of condoms in the States or somewhere else?
    Here they are almost 7 freaking € for twelve, regular ones. 10 € for "premium" ones.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    out of curiosity, and very on topic talking about "the future", what's the price of condoms in the States or somewhere else?
    Here they are almost 7 freaking € for twelve, regular ones. 10 € for "premium" ones.
    Depends, a 3-pack is around $3-$4. A box of 40 is around $12-$15.

universities give them out for free

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Depends, a 3-pack is around $3-$4. A box of 40 is around $12-$15.
    Excellent.

I wouldn't rely much on those bio-fuels for mass usage. After all they already need large cultivations to match the request, so if the demand spreads to the whole world or so, I don't think there would be enough for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I wouldn't rely much on those bio-fuels for mass usage. After all they already need large cultivations to match the request, so if the demand spreads to the whole world or so, I don't think there would be enough for everybody.
    true, but there is also algae produced biofuels which some companies like dupont are in the process of developing which seem to hold some promise

Biofuels are a neat temporary solution, but it is also a big stress on the allready overstretched food market. How do you see this being solved ?

as far as the more distant future goes i think there will be more and more hybrids as battery technology increases.
    How long do you think is the near future ? I'd honestly expect atleast 50% hybrids on the road in 10 years from now. People should try it, it's actually rather good driving (drove a Prius last week). If the car makers have balls they put out the technology on the market now. Every car maker has got the technology......

I think GM has a great idea on its hands with Volt if they can get the thing to be cost effective.
    Yea absolutely, but they need to be fast. It'd be the 1st 100% serial hybrid on the road i think if they can make it. Costs isn't the issue, technology isn't that complicated anymore..

It would be hilarious to see the Karma beating the Volt being sold before of it (expect the first sedans delivered by 3rd quarter this year), especially because it adopts a GM engine!

Thread Information