Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010 GT500 First Drives

Well, I'm guessing the Cobra will remain absent until Ford's honeymoon with Carrol Shelby is over. How long that'll take?......who knows. In the meantime the GT500 will remain the top model Mustang. Personally, I think the Shelby badge will stay on the Mustang until the next model update (which is rumored to be for the Mustang's 50th anniversary in 2014/2015). At that point I think we'll see the return of the Cobra.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

damnit
    well i guess roush still do the whole IRS/handling thing.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Technically, Ford do make a Cobra; FR500CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    The problem isn't putting an IRS back there......it's putting an IRS back there that can handle the power/torque. These V8's make power starting way down low, so the rearend has to be able to handle all the driver can throw at it without constantly failing.
    We do have a few Termis running +600 with twin screws here, and they're still on the IRS. Eventually they upgrade to a solid rear, not only for added strength but also to eliminate wheel hop. The stock 03-04 IRS is good for stock blower plus bolt-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    damnit
    well i guess roush still do the whole IRS/handling thing.
    Handling, yes. IRS, no. The 427Rs, Stage 3s etc. still have the live rear.

(and it's the 99-01 and 03-04 Cobras that have IRS. Ford didn't make a Cobra in 02 because they realized the 99-01s didn't deliver)
    Turning money into memories.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I don't think the current mustang is the type of car that they make what was the cobra spec for. The 80's fox body and 90's fox-4 were much more sport coupes as opposed to the new muscle car version.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Which might explain bringing back the SHO as a twin-turbo all-wheel drive car! Honestly I'm sort of looking forward to that more than new mustang versions. 365HP AWD car sounds fun. Would have to get an aftermarket grille for it though, first thing.
    Last edited by digitalcraft; 04-14-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    Which might explain bringing back the SHO as a twin-turbo all-wheel drive car! Honestly I'm sort of looking forward to that more than new mustang versions. 365HP AWD car sounds fun. Would have to get an aftermarket grille for it though, first thing.
    I'd say that the base 315bhp GT is more fun than an AWD saloon with 365bhp and an automatic.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post

(and it's the 99-01 and 03-04 Cobras that have IRS. Ford didn't make a Cobra in 02 because they realized the 99-01s didn't deliver)
    Actually, Ford did make a limited production run of RHD Cobras for 2002 that were sold only in Australia. That's why I included it.

2002 Cobra...(don't ask me what's up with the weird set of extra lights in the front bumper)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I refuse to acknowledge the fact that 100 320bhp Cobras were converted and sold to the colonies.

On a personal note; damnit!
    Turning money into memories.

that's okay, rasmus, they sold like poop. i ascribe this totally to the wierd foglights some sailor slapped on them as a prank on the voyage over.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information