Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Passed my driving test!

Early Panda 1.2?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well, I'm pleased to announce I now own a car. After viewing a total of 16 cars. All the same model. We finally found a decent one. Its a 2001 3dr Vauxhall Corsa 1.2i 16v SXI. 30,000 miles on the clock. Which is astonishingly low. Mature male previous owner, so none of the usual boyracer scratches bumps and general bad condition. It comes with all the extras. CD player, electric windows + mirrors, air conditioning. Sports Seats, Audio Remote etc. It took us a while and it was amazingly stressful but I'm so pleased. We pick it up in a week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cotterik; 05-02-2009 at 03:56 PM.

I have nothing to say but 'Congratulations!' And once more for passing a test

Congratulations.

How rare, a manual GM car...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

thanks! will do an egg nogg test when i pick it up next saturday morning

Well done ^2

We know what you want to do with it ......

JUST SAY NO

due to the disgust that relates my car to the above photo. I have now sold it at auction to the quickest buyer.

Congrats.
    With an engine named "1.2i 16v SXI" you would expect some sort of sportiness (or revviness), does it live up?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

thanks!

yeah the engine under the bonnet is effectively the standard ecotec opel/vauxhall 4 cylinder 1199cc 74HP engine. Compared to the 900cc 3 cylinder standard corsa engine it certainly does pull. 0-60 is around 11 seconds compared to the standard 17.

The SXI is primarily above all directed towards younger male drivers. So the majority of the sportiness is outside the bonnet. I.E bucket seats, black trim along bottom of the car, 15 inch alloys, subtle rear spoiler, the only interior extra is doesnt have is leather seats. Infact the only model above it is the SRI so the overall look is a subtle sporty variant to the standard supermini corsa. But it doesnt have an effect on insurance. Which is why so many young guys like me drive one. I'll just make sure I dont ruin it with aftermarket trash like they do.. Infact the only things I've ordered for it are a fresh set of floor mats and an extra SXI badge for the back as it currently only reads "corsa 1.2" and the SXI logos remain on the doors only.

more photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cotterik; 05-02-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Nice one Rik, totally agree, I never want to have to buy a new car eer again. Dad's Audi was very unstressful, Mum's Peugeot was devoid of stress (im thinking its easier to buy a car with a 'big' budget than a 'small' budget) but buying my car? f**k me! Glad I finally sorted it and sold the Mazda (though I miss it) What's insurance like on this? I went to look at a black 05 Energy 1.2i Twinport (as finding an SXI with AC was a bitch) but was quoted over £1200! £910 for the Megane!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

yeah, buying a new car must be a walk in the park. These SXI's are almost always bounced around by guys under 25. Which means its so hard to find one in good condition. That ticks all the boxes. And has low mileage. I spent the best part of 2 weeks driving up and down the north west of the UK before I found this one. And I hated almost every second of it. There are so many cowboys in the used car market..

My insurance on this reflects the typical driver of this model of the car, so its quite high. £1300 is my best quote. But I have to do finance, so its closer to £1.5K.

When you look at the used car market with a budget, certainly shopping new looks easier.

but in the end it's about shopping smarter, not harder find what sort of car you want, set yourself a budget, and be realistic - you can't just expect there to be an undiscovered bargain out there - chances are 30 other people know about it also

My experience with used car shopping is to be selective and do your research - choose a field of cars as opposed to a specific model - you never know if you can get a slightly better model for cheaper (my experience shows some higher end stuff depreciates harder than the base model )

EDIT: I also laugh at the seperation of yourself from the "Guys who bounce these cars around who are under 25" category....essentially, you ARE the problem group, according to the insurance company. right down to the silly haircut
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 05-03-2009 at 06:55 AM.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Well, thanks for the tips. I wasnt narrowed down to the SXI only. I actually started looking at '99 Corsa 1.0 base model for under £1K, and we agreed to take out my savings account that I got when I was 18. So I was just looking at cars 10 years old or younger. We viewed the best part of 20 cars overall. The price range between models and age was not atall steady like you say some cars depreciate or lose value quicker than others while some are simply just not looked after.

According to the insurance guys I am obviously the problem group. But while I'm driving around in my dads Golf GT-TDi I dont go a tad over the speed limit or play about on the roads. Which is more than what I can say for most guys my age. Obviously I'm inexperienced as they are but less willing to add to that with irresponsibility. My rate goes down 40% next year when I'm 21 though, so its not too bad for too long.

As for the haircut, I have it short nowadays so they cant penalise me for that.

just a quick question. since insurance is so high, is it possible to have myself as a named driver but my mum/dad as the main driver on insurance? since its supposed to save alot on payment. but i've heard its classed as fraud since the main driver would hardly drive it in my case..

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    just a quick question. since insurance is so high, is it possible to have myself as a named driver but my mum/dad as the main driver on insurance? since its supposed to save alot on payment. but i've heard its classed as fraud since the main driver would hardly drive it in my case..
    I put my car under my dad's name. I'm insured as 3rd driver.

I pay $33/month instead of about 90.

And I'm the only one driving it.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Thread Information