Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Passed my driving test!

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Nice one Rik, totally agree, I never want to have to buy a new car eer again. Dad's Audi was very unstressful, Mum's Peugeot was devoid of stress (im thinking its easier to buy a car with a 'big' budget than a 'small' budget) but buying my car? f**k me! Glad I finally sorted it and sold the Mazda (though I miss it) What's insurance like on this? I went to look at a black 05 Energy 1.2i Twinport (as finding an SXI with AC was a bitch) but was quoted over £1200! £910 for the Megane!
    Holy shit!

That's like $2000 almost!

That's enough for a quarter of my college tuition!

My Mégane is technically owned by my Mum, it is also insured on her policy, but there was no option for stating who would be the main driver, soooo....
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

My Mégane is technically owned by my Mum, it is also insured on her policy, but there was no option for stating who would be the main driver, soooo....
    But still, that's a large chunk of money.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    But still, that's a large chunk of money.
    true, my mother pays about 600 or 800 € for a 1.9 liter diesel Fiat Stilo, and I can drive it, as everyone else.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

It is the case that the insurance companies are getting stricter and may refuse a claim if it's shown the "named driver" was the main user of the car.
    Typical insurance company operation .... take your money but then refuse to pay out if you've gone against their rulse ... AND no chance of getting premiums back on the argument that they weren't covering you anywa.
    It's a rip off

Well put it this way. My lowest quote is £1302 for my first year of insurance on my new car. If I put my dad as a named driver the price doesnt go up. But if HE is the main driver and I am just a named driver then it goes down by a third in price. But as you say they can refuse a claim. Which renders my insurance obsolete. And as he would only drive it once every few months if that. Whereas I will drive it every day. I'd save money as long as I didnt crash. But even if I drive perfectly theres still idiots on the road and I could run into trouble. And then have big complications with the insurance company. Alot of people I talk to do this. But I'm not sure its worth the risk. However expensive..

but surely if it was a non-fault claim they'd have no qualms?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

well thats the risk you take I guess. I dont want to be borderlining fraud in my first year of driving..

A big congrats bud, i passed my test a month or so ago, it feels good doenst it?

Anway I was just going to give a few bits of advice ive been given seeing as ive been through the car buying process. I own a skoda fabia, oh yes im that cool lol

1. Insurance, Stay away from Quinn direct do not touch them with a mile long barge pole. trust me. I found Churchill to be the cheapest for young drivers, any company underwrittn by admiral will charge you an obscene amount. Do not try and defraud sompanies with the main driver shenanigans, it doesnt pay off and can have dire consequences, if you have to wait a while to afford the higher premium go for it, it doenst pay to skimp on something you could rely quite heavily upon.

2. If you get the chance as already mentioned go have a blast on an open area that is safe. Or go to a track day or something just to get any speed urges out of your system. it helped me although i have the advantage of working at track days, but its defianetly worth doing. And i know its probably not going to snow anytime soon but if it does or you get ice, get to an empty car park and just learn the feel of skidding, i did it in december when i was learning and it is definately worth doing.

3. when you own a car, even with the best intentions in the world you will get so many urges to go racing off or try something new. I know i got them and i may have given in twice but it was controlled. Also i know you are probably gonna get bugged to death by friends for lifts etc. If possible dont for the first fortnight, especially if you are still getting used to the car. As i said you will get urges to push yourself and its harder to resist if your mates are egging you on, it would be unfair to risk your friends lives.

I know you will probably have heard most of this and some of it may sound dramatic, but the reality is it isnt im in the same boat as you i probably have a month or 2 more experience than you but you learn a lot really quickly when you are out on your own.
    www.flickr.com/photos/mlunnphotography

but surely if it was a non-fault claim they'd have no qualms?
    NOT necessarily
    They are within their rights to void the insurance thus leaving you to chase the other party's insurer yourself and of course the possibility that plod could come after you for no insurance !
    AND of course you then have to always tick that box about "refused insurance" on every aplication from then on ... which is guaranteed to up the premium by lots and lots

Thanks DBR9. That's very thoughtful advise. I'll be keeping it safe in this car. It's cost me my entire savings and alot of monthly payment ontop of that thereafter. So its my number.1 investment by far, and I wont be risking that be giving into urges and overconfidence. I've only test driven the car. So I have it all to get used to. Since I've only ever driven 2 cars in my life, I need to gather my confidence over time in the car.

As regards my insurance. We tried to purchase it today with my dads interest free credit card. But LV.com said the payer had to be the policy holder. So we're trying to work out how we can pay for it. Then we tried putting my dad as the policy holder (as he technically doesnt own a car or have insurance in his name as he drives a company car) however I am the registered owner and keeper so he can't be a policy holder on my car.

I never knew insurance could be so darn complicated. What ever was wrong with the days of insurance, no drink driving laws or safety measures?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    NOT necessarily
    They are within their rights to void the insurance thus leaving you to chase the other party's insurer yourself and of course the possibility that plod could come after you for no insurance !
    AND of course you then have to always tick that box about "refused insurance" on every aplication from then on ... which is guaranteed to up the premium by lots and lots
    But how can they know who's driving and when?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But how can they know who's driving and when?
    WHen you have an accident
    WHen you pass one of the thousands of road side speed and autamtic number plate rcognition cameras. Taek your face too. So if speeding you'll get in big BIG trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    WHen you have an accident
    WHen you pass one of the thousands of road side speed and autamtic number plate rcognition cameras. Taek your face too. So if speeding you'll get in big BIG trouble
    Yep but if you are caught speeding once or you crash or something you can still claim that usually your parents drive the car but at that time you were driving it. And I think it'd be difficult to prove otherwise. You're nevertheless insured too.

If you crash every week... well then don't drive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yep but if you are caught speeding once or you crash or something you can still claim that usually your parents drive the car but at that time you were driving it. And I think it'd be difficult to prove otherwise. You're nevertheless insured too.

If you crash every week... well then don't drive.
    That's what people usually do, and therefore insurance companies learned to usually say "it's your turn to pay".

That's why both my parents have an insurance that allows everyone to drive even if the main diver is one of them, and the insurances would cover any kind of damage even if it's one of my friends driving (assume just for half a second I'm smart enough to get drunk despite driving).
    It costs probably a bit more, but it's safer.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information