Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Best handling Classic car

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Isn't that 356 remake that they are talking about?

And keeping on topic and staying with Porsches, wasn't the 914 apparently excellent with regards to handling? I read somewhere that it was so good that Porsche's rally drivers didn't like it very much and that they preferred the "worse" 911.
    the 914-6 is supposed to be brilliant. they are still rather expensive to pick up, and a ton of them are set up for track use.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Kitdy, butt out ... puhlease.

If you look we are actually trying to share information.
    FLeet may not have known of the 911T and S and I for sure am uncertain of the Corvette range of the day.

So less of the "pathetic" and if you don't like the thread then leave ????
    I've left, but two questions: how many times have you tried to "share information" with Fleet in the past and how has that worked out?

^^^ hmmm once we got over the subjectivity then you'll be surprised the number of times the application of facts has cleared the air.
    As usual, folks remember the bad bits adn don't give credence to the good.

The 250LM Ferrari had perhaps the best balance of power and nimbleness of any 'major' sportscar- otherwise, the Lotus Europa

American muscle cars (properly powered and equipped) could be steered with the throttle- Mopars were the best- and none were generally 'world class', but great fun none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Isn't that 356 remake that they are talking about?

And keeping on topic and staying with Porsches, wasn't the 914 apparently excellent with regards to handling? I read somewhere that it was so good that Porsche's rally drivers didn't like it very much and that they preferred the "worse" 911.
    yeah, i heard they're like go karts, no idea how good they'd be handling wise in a direct comparison to an elan, but surely they'd be up there.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Thanks Fleet.
    Was it only engine differences in the 'Vette ?
    for Exampel the "intermediate" E version was created to give a bit more "luxury" to the range without the excess of power. Seems to me the 'Vette ranges were all about power and whether manual or auto ?

Thus my comment about the danger of comparing "intermediate". The inter-Porsche is a "make it easier" option, the inter-Vette is a "make more power" option.

Hmmm yea the usual price issue comes up. Well we know that comparison in $$$ is hugely skewed by the pricing/profit/import goals of the companies.

I do concur for the price it SHOULD have been better (even in Europe prices) and why as said, everyone serious replaced the "luxury" suspension with the standard to get the handling back

Wrapping this one up, the mag compared an "improved comfort" version of the 911 with an "improved power" version of the Corvette. Still makes a fun read as all your old mags do. Ta.
    Not too familiar with 'Vettes, but I think there were different trim options (interior and exterior) and possibly upholstery.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

I just love the credulous belief in quoted power outputs years back! These were figures drawn out of a hat by the marketing department and bore no resemblance to reality. Take the E type for example, oft quoted as a 150mph car. Well, it was - in a way. Norman Dewis tried three engines before trying to get that figure and for some reason the car tested had a lot of alloy body panels.......................

The quoted power in the day was 265bhp, but frankly on a standard E type that was about 30 more than reality. My D type engine, built by Lynx in their day, was supposed to be a beast what with its triple Webers but when we dyno'd it had exactly 265bhp. Now after the rebuild, with Venolia pistons and 10.5 comptression plus some trick bits it has 325 plus enormous torque of over 400 lb/ft, and that at a lazy 3770 rpm. That's more like it!

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
    I just love the credulous belief in quoted power outputs years back! These were figures drawn out of a hat by the marketing department and bore no resemblance to reality. Take the E type for example, oft quoted as a 150mph car. Well, it was - in a way. Norman Dewis tried three engines before trying to get that figure and for some reason the car tested had a lot of alloy body panels.......................

The quoted power in the day was 265bhp, but frankly on a standard E type that was about 30 more than reality. My D type engine, built by Lynx in their day, was supposed to be a beast what with its triple Webers but when we dyno'd it had exactly 265bhp. Now after the rebuild, with Venolia pistons and 10.5 comptression plus some trick bits it has 325 plus enormous torque of over 400 lb/ft, and that at a lazy 3770 rpm. That's more like it!
    Hi Lowdrag,
    How about some pix of the Dtype. I dont think that is an example here in South Africa. Very scarce car
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

The D type

well, it's only a Lynx, not a real one but I guess real enough anyway. Here's a few for you. First is me at Woodcote bend, Goodwood:-

The Stelvio, 48 hairpins and you don't get more fun with your socks on:-

Now to finish a couple more including the engine rebuild:-

Finally, after 4,000 glorious miles in two weeks, the flies of four countries proudly displayed:-

Hope that's OK
    Last edited by lowdrag; 04-20-2009 at 11:20 AM.

how is it reliability wise with the engine all tuned and such?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

No reliability problems at all although the oil consumption is higher being a race prepared engine - probably about 3/4 litre per 1,000 miles but I prefer a loose engine anyway. The only silly problem sometimes can be the electronic ignition. If the engine stops just in the right place just turning on the ignition can cause the engine to start without even pressing the button, purely because there is enough fuel left in the cylinder and the engine stopped just as that cylinder fired. I've got used to it though by now and am always careful. Apart from that it is totally reliable.

Nice thread...The classic car images are really amazing..
    Last edited by henk4; 04-22-2011 at 04:03 AM. Reason: welcome to UCP. You are welcome to advertise, but please contact the administrator to discuss a proper tariff.

Thread Information