Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAILBox 360 - Help!

FAILBox 360 - Help!

And no: This isn't a "fanboy" thread.

I'm having big problems with my 360:

It started with GTA 4: The console used to play the game just fine, but after a while, it started to make some very concerning noises. The noise of the disc drive reading the disk suddenly stopped, and this was immediately followed by a loud scraping sound. The next noises I heard were a series of "ticking" noises, and after a certain amount of "ticks" (the same every time), the console would either crash, or display a message along the lines of "Disc Unreadable - It may be dirty or damaged".

This happened on several occasions and eventually I started to notice that the console was scratching the previously perfect condition disc, leaving deep scratches in perfect part circles around the disc (the sort of scratch you couldn't possibly make yourself without specifically intending to (and using the right equipment)).

This got to the stage where the disc appeared to be badly scratched and the console wouldn't even get past the loading screen.

(even more)

Now, this problem hadn't been occurring with any of my other games, so I took a chance and bought a new disc. Same story.

(p*** starting to simmer!)

The console has now started to display the same read errors with other games (Forza 2, Vegas 2)...I don't want it to wreck another £100 worth of games to add to the £70 it's already managed!

(you get the message)

I have contacted MS support and am awaiting a response...but honestly I don't trust them to find a solution. If they don't, I'm not spending any more money on 360s or associated products, that's for sure (I'd rather spend the money on my car than another console)!

This is a "heads-up", and something to refer to, for any of you that suffer from this problem.

Has anyone else had similar experiences (and please can you help if you have)?

Cheers,

Clive
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

The Xbox 360 has a habit of scratching disks. If your still under warrenty, MS should have you send it in for repairs. I've had several disks scratched in a similar fashion, I used a disk repair kit and was ablt to "clean" the disk up enough to play. Also try taking a wet cloth to the tray and wipe off any dust or other particles that may have collected.
    They can smell fear just by lookin' at you, so keep quiet.

How old is your unit?
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Do you play rented games? They might have offset paper labels taped on them that might spin in a bad way to damage the insides of the disc drive.

You might want to claim that warranty.

Look on the back of the unit and get the serial number and then call microsoft xbox technical support. The number should tell them whether or not the unit is still under the warranty. If it is they will send you a box with a waterproof bag, and a prepaid shipping label. Ship it to them and about a month later they will ship it back fixed or just send you a factory refurbished one. I've sent one in 3 times and finally said **** it and got one with a Gamestop warranty instead.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

I have this problem. Noises all the fricken time, I'm just waiting for the one that screws my box forever. This only happens with new games such as gow2 , resident evil 5, and cod5 etc. Haven't had any problems with fear 2 yet (awesome game btw), but we'll see.

Some video/dvd hire places can resurface your disks. This resurfaces the disk making as good as new - scratch free wise. I have done this numerous times works perfectly. Oh and get the fairly recent dashboard update and start installing your games to your hard drive. It pays off massively in the long term, no weird sounds and disk scratching going on, though your HDD space will rapidly decrease.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Yes. Definitely recommend getting the upgraded console. First thing I did was get me a 120 gig HD and install every game I had on it. Now my DVD drive gets very little workout these days. It's HIGHLY recommended for prolonging your box's life. Plus, like MF mentioned....it's really nice not to having the constant whirring noise of the disc drive while you play. Almost like being back in the cartridge console days.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    So that's what's constantly, relentlessly happening to my PGR4 disc.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mine's an XBox 360 "Premium" that's 2 years old (I bought it just before Forza 2 came out). I have never played any rented games, the console has been kept in perfect condition and it's never been allowed to get very dusty.

I heard that you could use External (USB) HDDs with the 360...is this true? If so, it means you don't have to buy the overpriced M$ ones.

That happened to me too.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Mine's an XBox 360 "Premium" that's 2 years old (I bought it just before Forza 2 came out). I have never played any rented games, the console has been kept in perfect condition and it's never been allowed to get very dusty.

I heard that you could use External (USB) HDDs with the 360...is this true? If so, it means you don't have to buy the overpriced M$ ones.
    I am no expert but I believe the scratching is a known issue that was the result of a design flaw. Here in The Netherlands, I seem to remember, all consoles that suffered from the problems were fixed by MS at no cost. If you want I can look into it some more. That might help you get yours fixed without having to pay anything.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I am no expert but I believe the scratching is a known issue that was the result of a design flaw. Here in The Netherlands, I seem to remember, all consoles that suffered from the problems were fixed by MS at no cost. If you want I can look into it some more. That might help you get yours fixed without having to pay anything.
    Nice...I finally get to use this phrase...

"You are too kind!"

That is to say: "Yes, please Wouter!"

EDIT: I've noticed that it tends to crash in certain stages of each game - in Vegas 2, there is one particular level that I can't proceeed through because it always crashes when you get to a certain corridor.
    Last edited by Clivey; 04-13-2009 at 04:17 AM.

If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thanks W. The section on scratched discs details exactly what's happening with my console - but M$ are apparently refusing to fix the problem if your console is out of warranty, which mine is.

Personally, I'm not prepared to spend any money on XBox 360 products unless this problem is resolved by Microsoft, for free, as I feel that this is entirely their fault. I have not misused any of the hardware or software in any way.

- Unless they fix it, they'll lose all future business from me!!!

and I was just starting considering an Xbox360 again...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information