Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Of the Most Overrated Cars Around.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Edition View Post
    well, we all have to admit that most supercars if not all of them are very expensive. though, some of them may be worth the money you pay for.
    A Pagani Zonda (any of the assorted models) is a supercar worth the money you pay. Not overrated... just awesome.

The UK is known for having the most finicky of car markets:

People would rather pay £15k + for a pretty basic 105BHP diesel Golf than pay the same for something that's arguably a much better car...but not German.

Same with the Audi A3 - except they pay even more for those!

I can't understand why you'd buy a base-model Audi A4 for over £22k when you could get a highly-specced Accord / Mazda 6 / Mondeo / Insignia etc. for the same money. People often cite build quality and reliability, but experience often shows that in reality, components break as often as cars from anywhere else.

Quattro Audis are mostly different - they're arguably worth the premium over the equivalent FWD car from another manufacturer. Same with BMWs and most Mercedes - because they bring RWD to the party. In short: You're paying extra for the engineering.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Yes.

Also:

- Every Porsche since the 993; except the Carerra GT and (you're going to hate me for this) the Cayenne, which though ridiculous, is a brilliantly sorted out car.

- 90% for the cars Mercedes-Benz has made in the last ten years, with the exception of the CLs, but especially the CLKs.

- Bentley Conti GT, GTS, Flying Spur.

- Aston Martin V8 Vantage. If I had the money I'd rather have a DB9, if I didn't, an M6 or Porsche 911 (still).
    Sorry, at this point I have to disagree.

The Vantage is the only car of its type on the market today I can fit my bike in the back of. Now the V12 version is available we have the best of both worlds (so long as the roads are good).

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA
    - The interior volume on a Range Rover. How can a car that big feel that small inside? The rest of the car is fine.

- Driving a Lambo Murcielago on anything other than a clear, straight road with no speed limit. As James May said, 'The winner is the person who gets to stand on the street corner and admire it, the loser is the driver.'
    Again, here...

If it a manual I'll happily take a LP640 any day. Its comfortable, its not hard to drive, the soundtrack is brilliant, it has some boot space, the air-con works...
    True the rear visibility is crap, its a pain to find a parking spot wide enough, you have to give some room at the apex with your front tyres so you don't scrape the rear ones, and you have to put your shoes on as you get out as you are driving in socks...

Its one of those cars that is just special though. Every time you walk up to it you know the key is yours...

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA
    - The interior quality on Lexus or Infiniti, compared to a BMW or Audi it's really not up to par.

- Pretty much any American car versus a VW or Toyota.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Nothing is more grossly overrated year in year out then the 3-Series. Especially if you read Car and Driver. BMW could release a poo smelling leather option with a 2 liter diesel and in C&D's eyes, it would be better then a A4 with a jet turbine strapped to the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    Nothing is more grossly overrated year in year out then the 3-Series. Especially if you read Car and Driver. BMW could release a poo smelling leather option with a 2 liter diesel and in C&D's eyes, it would be better then a A4 with a jet turbine strapped to the roof.
    The thing is...the 3-Series blows most rivals (in the UK market at least) out of the water for its mix of driving pleasure, efficiency and performance.

I know the car is spoiled by some who drive them because of the badge, but I personally couldn't care less if it had a Skoda badge on the front. Where else can you get a car that size that will do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds but still return 45-50mpg average and cost you a sensible amount in taxes? (320d)

Granted - that's a diesel (diesel costing more per gallon) and I'm measuring using UK gallons, but it's still more efficient and has better performance than direct rivals that also use derv.

The other thing that's crucial to me: RWD. There's only the Lexus IS (drives worse) and Mercedes C Class (comparable chassis but thirsty engines) that also offer that in a small saloon these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    The thing is...the 3-Series blows
    This.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Corvette, BMW 3-Series, Porsches.

I say DIE to anyone who said Ferraris, take it from from an owner.... They are (especially Scuderia), some of the most awesome cars around. The Scud and 599 put anything to shame. Lambos are overrate, and no skill is required to drive one as the run 4wd systems. My dad has driven a lot of other cars, from 911 to turbos, and nothin can compare to Ferraris

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    This can only be a fanboy-fest
    It had begun.

The UK is known for having the most finicky of car markets:

People would rather pay £15k + for a pretty basic 105BHP diesel Golf than pay the same for something that's arguably a much better car...but not German.

Same with the Audi A3 - except they pay even more for those!

I can't understand why you'd buy a base-model Audi A4 for over £22k when you could get a highly-specced Accord / Mazda 6 / Mondeo / Insignia etc. for the same money. People often cite build quality and reliability, but experience often shows that in reality, components break as often as cars from anywhere else.

Quattro Audis are mostly different - they're arguably worth the premium over the equivalent FWD car from another manufacturer. Same with BMWs and most Mercedes - because they bring RWD to the party. In short: You're paying extra for the engineering.
    Could've been shortened to simply Audi.
    The thing is...the 3-Series blows most rivals (in the UK market at least) out of the water for its mix of driving pleasure, efficiency and performance.

I know the car is spoiled by some who drive them because of the badge, but I personally couldn't care less if it had a Skoda badge on the front. Where else can you get a car that size that will do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds but still return 45-50mpg average and cost you a sensible amount in taxes? (320d)

Granted - that's a diesel (diesel costing more per gallon) and I'm measuring using UK gallons, but it's still more efficient and has better performance than direct rivals that also use derv.

The other thing that's crucial to me: RWD. There's only the Lexus IS (drives worse) and Mercedes C Class (comparable chassis but thirsty engines) that also offer that in a small saloon these days.
    This. BMWs aren't overrated. But it's a shame that twats who pretend to know abou cars ill go at lenght explaining how good a BMW is... without having actually dirven one.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

What I've learned from this thread: Every single car that has been cited for competence in any area is overrated.

And Ladas too.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

The Prius seems pretty overrated to me. Most underrated in America would be diesels.

I think hybrids in general get too much praise. Not that this is a bad thing considering the hybrids purpose, it's just that the whole eco-friendly 40 mpg has turned into more of a sales pitch than a tool to save the environment.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Could've been shortened to simply Audi.
    As I said: I like most of the new AWD versions (the ones that aren't nose heavy).

What I hate are those that drive a base-model A3 that's older and has twice as many miles on the clock as my car, then proceed to tell me how much better theirs is, and how mine will fall apart etc.

I mean yes: The A3 looks nice and is quite well built...but it's not worth the massive price hike over an Astra/C4 etc.

This. BMWs aren't overrated. But it's a shame that twats who pretend to know abou cars ill go at lenght explaining how good a BMW is... without having actually dirven one.
    What do you mean?

BMWs aren't overrated. But it's a shame that twats who pretend to know abou cars ill go at lenght explaining how good a BMW is... without having actually dirven one.
    My reason for listing it.

The last BMW I drove was my uncle's 1602. It was a very nice drive, certainly for 1968.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information