Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Think There Should Be More Women In the Automotive Industry?

If there are more women enrolled into the education that leads to a career in the auto industry, then I don't see why they wouldn't be in the industry...The problem is the enrollement rate for science and engineering program is generally more men than women, probably due to the interest of the different gender.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    If there are more women enrolled into the education that leads to a career in the auto industry, then I don't see why they wouldn't be in the industry...The problem is the enrollement rate for science and engineering program is generally more men than women, probably due to the interest of the different gender.
    but then again the interest has something to do with career opportunities, so it looks like a classic chicken and egg....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I don't see how its a career oppotunity thing....a capable engineer is a capable engineer, a woman with the same degree is as qualified as a man for the same position. I happen to have a few of my peers being the "illusive" female in the automotive/motorsport/engineering field. And they go through the school and got their job like anybody else....there are less of them because there are less female in general in engineering school(I think in mech eng in my year its M:F 70:30).

I don't think a ceiling exists when you going into a job, there could be one in some backward company as you advances in that field, but engineering in many cases is such a result/performance oriented thing that it should really not matter.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I don't see how its a career oppotunity thing....a capable engineer is a capable engineer, a woman with the same degree is as qualified as a man for the same position.
    I agree with the latter, but the fact that so few women are working as capable engineers will be seen as a reflection for future opportunities for girls who are now considering what career to pursue.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Like I said though, I think if a woman finds interest in pursuing a career in engineering it should not stop them from doing so. Because if they go through with their interest they can probably find a job at the end of the school years. Personally my schooling decision was driven by my interest and that dictates where I am working now. And I think doing otherwise, being either man or woman, is not a wise path. And this not only applies to engineering side of things but career path in general.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    Does anyone else think cargirl1990 should stop creating whimsical threads?
    i concur!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I am in an Automotive Management Business program in University and out of the 50 people in my class 49 are male......I don't think its a matter of should there be more women in the industry, but why aren't more trying to become a part of it?
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy View Post
    I am in an Automotive Management Business program in University and out of the 50 people in my class 49 are male......I don't think its a matter of should there be more women in the industry, but why aren't more trying to become a part of it?
    Agreed....There are no female in the office I work right now. We used to have one, who was a receptionist and got laid off a while back. We have I think a total of 3 female on the engineering campus here with maybe 50 people total. One executive assistance, one buyer, and one HR person.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy View Post
    but why aren't more trying to become a part of it?
    REading most threads in any online car forum explains why not

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    I just want peoples opinion because i have a gut instinct that im out numbered by men on this site and i just wanted an opinion. Thats all i ask.

you guys are hypocrits. compared to the other women related posts here, i expected the answers in here to be a lot more mysognistic. chill guys, i know those women jokes were just that, "jokes". but keep it real and say the same thing in the presense of women!!
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

If they're interested, why not? Nothing's stopping them from getting the job.

Ouch, this seems to be a very sensitive topic for some men... I don't think why it should be gender related, although historically it's a man job. However, nowadays, women jobs, like nursing, teaching, etc. are conquering man's interest why shouldn't "man jobs" be interesting to women as well. And there are plenty of machines that do the lifting and carrying weights parts cause that's the only thing where men have some advantage.

Design it's creativity, I guess that's why it's being slowly taken over by women (let me introduce some feminism in here :P)

Being a girl studying mechanical engineering in Italy, I have honestly never encountered any obstacles or hurdles to leap over due to my gender. I think it is a male-dominated field because it has pretty much always been... but in the few years I've been in school I have noticed that the newer generations have increasingly more girls. I firmly believe that it's only a matter of time before we start seeing a significant influx of women in the auto industry.

I don't know about the automotive industry, but I sure wouldn't mind more women in the construction industry which I myself am involved in .

Thread Information