Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1966 American Cars: Engine Weight

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Not in '66, but yea, some were later on.
    probabily not the ones on the list but there surely was the 3.5 liter Oldsmobile engine, deemed to be too small for the American market, but then scoring hugh success in various British cars, as well as as the basis for the Repco engine that gave Sir Jack his first constructors F1 title.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    probabily not the ones on the list but there surely was the 3.5 liter Oldsmobile engine, deemed to be too small for the American market, but then scoring hugh success in various British cars, as well as as the basis for the Repco engine that gave Sir Jack his first constructors F1 title.
    I was talking about the Big Block Chevy. But yea, the 215 olds/buick/pontiac was aluminum. I think that ran from 61-63, some models being NA and some turbocharged.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    I was talking about the Big Block Chevy. But yea, the 215 olds/buick/pontiac was aluminum. I think that ran from 61-63, some models being NA and some turbocharged.
    IIRC a turbocharged Buick V8 was one of the first (the first? or was that the Corvair?) production turbocharged cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yay! Boat anchors!

Sorry, I had to get that in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    IIRC a turbocharged Buick V8 was one of the first (the first? or was that the Corvair?) production turbocharged cars.
    I think they were both introduced on the same model year.

Oldsmobile F-85 Jetfire debuted in 1962 (in February IIRC?) a few weeks before Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder, meaning Oldsmobile built the world's first turbocharged production car. Imo the early 1960s period saw GM-NA engineering at its most adventurous, and best, realising many novel and highly interesting designs into mass production.

Could one of you who knows about either of the turboed cars make a thread in the Oddball Corner about them?
    I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that Chevy had made a turbo Corvair, but I had never heard of Olds doing it and I'm very intrigued.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Some google searching will turn up some facts about the GM turbos. I think the Corvair system was the better of the two designs. Yes, it was almost like two different companies designed the two different turbo models. I think the big issue was controlling the turbo as there were no electronic controls at the time. I think Porsche and SAAB both had some level of electronic control by the time they brought out their first turbo road cars (I THINK Porsche and SAAB were the next two turbo road cars).

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Some google searching will turn up some facts about the GM turbos. I think the Corvair system was the better of the two designs. Yes, it was almost like two different companies designed the two different turbo models. I think the big issue was controlling the turbo as there were no electronic controls at the time. I think Porsche and SAAB both had some level of electronic control by the time they brought out their first turbo road cars (I THINK Porsche and SAAB were the next two turbo road cars).
    Did they use mechanical wastegates?

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Oldsmobile F-85 Jetfire debuted in 1962 (in February IIRC?) a few weeks before Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder, meaning Oldsmobile built the world's first turbocharged production car. Imo the early 1960s period saw GM-NA engineering at its most adventurous, and best, realising many novel and highly interesting designs into mass production.
    Indeed. And the early Tempest, which is a very interesting car.
    Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    There was the BMW 2002 Turbo too.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information