Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Carpocalypse

As of today many car makers are doing some adjustment just to make the car's energy (fuel) being conserve. Like some of them are using solar powered cars and fuel efficient and environment friendly cars. That's why technologies are more advance now compared to previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Well this Obahn idea is 30 years old. But its not just Park & Ride, rather a 'your local street corner' pickup/delivery service .. without ever changing your seat.

Imagine a few of these Obahn networks in Canberra? (instead of what those myopic light rail 'visionaries' keep proposing)

No hideous desecration of Northborne or anywhere else, by rail-related tracks and overhead wires

Gunghalin or Tuggers local pickup, then rapid express into Civic .. up to 18,000 commuter cars per-hour, per guideway route, removed from our roads!

I'd like to see that
    The Light rail in Canberra is truly the worst Idea i've seen in a while....

As for the O-Bahn in Canberra...Well honestly I think the distances covered are a little bit too large for the door to door transport system they're looking to implement. at the moment Canberra runs a "Hub & Spoke" transport network, with 5 large main centres that smaller services branch out of. While the frequency of these services might not be spectacular, the routes they take do essentially cover most of Canberras population.

The problem with such a system is that the Interchanges become horrible places (much like Airports who use a similar system) that are overused and often a little dangerous.

On the flip side, the O-Bahn bus might be good in theory, but it'll still take it's sweet time getting anywhere, it still takes me 45 minutes (I live in Monash) to get to the city Via bus. Give it ~ 10 minutes either way with a clear route, and it's still 10 minutes slower than driving by car. On a good day.

This will always be public transports downfall - the need to meet the needs of the many, versus the convieniance of the few.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No it isn't.
    This is a difference in semantics - what you mean to be The Carpocalypse and what they/I mean are separate things. You defined it as the end of cars but I and probably they refer to it is the crashing of the car industry at this point and the imminent bankruptcies of major players - it won't end cars forever but it's still The Carpocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This is a difference in semantics - what you mean to be The Carpocalypse and what they/I mean are separate things. You defined it as the end of cars but I and probably they refer to it is the crashing of the car industry at this point and the imminent bankruptcies of major players - it won't end cars forever but it's still The Carpocalypse.
    Having Chrysler declare bankruptcy won't "crash the car industry". Not even GM declraing bankruptcy would cause that.

Even both could disappear and the world would still make cars. It's not the first time a large car group has been in deep trouble and subsequently disappeared. And no for that we stopped making cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Having Chrysler declare bankruptcy won't "crash the car industry". Not even GM declraing bankruptcy would cause that.

Even both could disappear and the world would still make cars. It's not the first time a large car group has been in deep trouble and subsequently disappeared. And no for that we stopped making cars.
    I didn't mean it to that extent (I shouldn't have said crashing) I mean the slow sales, the flagging profits - the industry is suffering let's say all part and parcel of the former credit crisis, now the recession. This low period is The Carpocalypse, that is all - the name is sheerly for humour clearly; it's not meant to be actually the end of cars.

Thread Information