Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Québec bans registration of RHD vehicles for 6 months.

Québec bans registration of RHD vehicles for 6 months.

RHD vehicles: No New Registrations in Quebec : MontrealRacing.com

At around noon today one of our members, prelude83, published a forum discussion thread containing a draft ministerial press release that had some very disturbing news for JDM lovers in it. According to the press release, the SAAQ (the Quebec Auto Insurance Board) has banned new registrations of right hand drive vehicles for for at least 180 days while they study the matter further. Apparently these vehicles were deemed unsafe for Quebec roads. Those who doubted him didn’t have to wait long because shortly after the thread was made, the SAAQ itself confirmed the rumor and put out the press release.
    Prior to this enactment, it had been legal to import any vehicle fifteen years or older and many companies took advantage of the high demand for right hand drive JDM (Japan Domestic Market) vehicles. Nissan Skylines, Nissan Sylvias, Toyota Soarers, Toyota MR2s and even Honda Civics and CRXs with right hand drive were becoming quite numerous on our roads.
    The SAAQ has put word out to its certified garages to not do any inspection for a RHD vehicles as of April 29 2009. Without an inspection the vehicle can not be admitted to the road. The move will not affect current owners of these vehicles who have already had them plated legally or specially certified RHD vehicles such as garbage/recycle trucks, street cleaners or postal vehicles. We can only guess the amount of losses that JDM importers who have shipments of RHD vehicles en route scheduled to arrive after today will have to absorb. Needless to say if the move becomes permanent, the value of the RHD vehicles that made it on the road before the new law will surely increase to the delight of their owners.
    Dealers will not be permitted to put x-plates (temporary dealer plates) on any RHD vehicle not registered before today. If you are in the market for a JDM or RHD vehicle ask for the proper documentation to prove that the vehicle was properly plated before the deadline otherwise you’ll be in for a surprise.
    The SAAQ is scheduled to remit a reccomendation to the Transport Minsiter Julie Boulet before 180 days. You may wrote to them at the following address to express your concerns:

Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec
    333, boulevard Jean-Lesage, C-4-21,
    C.P.19600, Québec (Québec)
    G1K 8J6

Personally I don't think they are unsafe, granted there are some intersections that are a bit tricky, you can't really see oncoming traffic, even in a LHD car, so they must be ridiculously dangerous in a RHD car... but still, there's generally no drama.

The biggest safety issue with RHD vehicles I think is their owners. I don't want to generalize but most JDM-imported vehicles I've seen were driven by 17-19 y/o's wth tilted baseball cap, diamond earrings and pink Lacoste polos.

Aka douchebags.

And they were driving stupidly fast.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 04-30-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    RHD vehicles: No New Registrations in Quebec : MontrealRacing.com

Personally I don't think they are unsafe, granted there are some intersections that are a bit tricky, you can't really see oncoming traffic, even in a LHD car, so they must be ridiculously dangerous in a RHD car... but still, there's generally no drama.

The biggest safety issue with RHD vehicles I think is their owners. I don't want to generalize but most JDM-imported vehicles I've seen were driven by 17-19 y/o's wth tilted baseball cap, diamond earrings and pink Lacoste polos.

Aka douchebags.

Ah, these guys...

Aka douchebags.

So, they should ban them for driving not cars based on where the steering wheel is.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    So, they should ban them for driving not cars based on where the steering wheel is.
    I honestly don't know how people manage to get their licenses sometimes.

The sad thing is, people who can appreciate RHD cars will probably have to skip their turns thanks to a bunch of young adults who grew up playing Gran Turismo/watching Fast & Furious and couldn't make the distinction between games, movies and reality and who think you can get 1,100 bhp out of a GT-R by fitting a 'Stage 4' turbo only, like they did in GT.

They better not ban them permanently. I want my goddamn Soarer with the 1UZ-FE V8 for ultimate sleeper status.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

I honestly don't know how people manage to get their licenses sometimes.

The sad thing is, people who can appreciate RHD cars will probably have to skip their turns thanks to a bunch of young adults who grew up playing Gran Turismo/watching Fast & Furious and couldn't make the distinction between games, movies and reality and who think you can get 1,100 bhp out of a GT-R by fitting a 'Stage 4' turbo only, like they did in GT.

They better not ban them permanently. I want my goddamn Soarer with the 1UZ-FE V8 for ultimate sleeper status.
    what about NFS then...

I know how certain people manage to get their licenses: with stupidly pointless tests.
    What I don't understand is how there are some stupidly pointless tests instead of an actual school where to really learn how to drive, and not how to turn a steering wheel or press a pedal.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    what about NFS then...

I know how certain people manage to get their licenses: with stupidly pointless tests.
    What I don't understand is how there are some stupidly pointless tests instead of an actual school where to really learn how to drive, and not how to turn a steering wheel or press a pedal.
    Hooray Finland?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Hooray Finland?
    That Top Gear film was enlightening.

They should implement that kind of driving lessons everywhere. The world would be a better and safer place then.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

every second nissan owner is the issue here, the amount of douchetards thinking they're top shit in their R33..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thing is, douche bags will still be douche bags whether it be right hand drive or left hand drive. It is not exclusive to one side of the steering. Not sure how effective this ruling will be.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Thing is, douche bags will still be douche bags whether it be right hand drive or left hand drive. It is not exclusive to one side of the steering. Not sure how effective this ruling will be.
    they ruin the reputation of imported cars. ban them.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

...pink Lacoste polos.

Aka douchebags.

Ban pink polos!

and pink Lacoste polos.

Aka douchebags.
    Was the collar in the upward position?
    Last edited by LTSmash; 04-30-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That Top Gear film was enlightening.

They should implement that kind of driving lessons everywhere. The world would be a better and safer place then.
    Yes, agreed. I would dearly love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    every second nissan owner is the issue here, the amount of douchetards thinking they're top shit in their R33..
    Yes, this. R32 here as the R33 isn't 15 y/o yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Ban pink polos!
    Douchebags are still gonna be douchebags outside of their cars and they are still going to wear pink polos.

We shouldn't ban them then. We need to...

KILL THEM WITH FIRE

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Was the collar in the upward position?
    Oh ya, popped collars are required.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Douchebags are still gonna be douchebags outside of their cars and they are still going to wear pink polos.

KILL THEM WITH FIRE

We can't. They reproduce too quickly.

But if they take one of our privileges away, we'll put two of theirs in the morgue, if need be.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Ban pink polos!
    Yes, agreed. I would dearly love to see that.

Yes, this. R32 here as the R33 isn't 15 y/o yet.

KILL THEM WITH FIRE

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    We can't. They reproduce too quickly.

But if they take one of our privileges away, we'll put two of theirs in the morgue, if need be.
    I say even better- sterilize them.

Thread Information