Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any car. Many miles. Go on, choose.

without a car at all it would be even easier to turn around and look behind. But it would be silly, because, without a car, you wouldn't need to look behind while backing.
    On the other hand, commuting with something the size of a small boat is a little difficult and inefficient, while moving all those space and weight in the traffic.
    surely a very wide/high/long car is spacier than a smaller one, that's obvious, but there is a limit which is "how much larger" makes sense, objectively. And I think an Acura TL is better than something bigger for commuting comfortably in a sensed way.
    To each his own then.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I wouldn't call an Acura TL small, cramped and uncomfortable though. Or a Citroën DS for that matter.
    I have sat in my brother's Acura... compared to my Fleetwood, it is cramped!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    without a car at all it would be even easier to turn around and look behind. But it would be silly, because, without a car, you wouldn't need to look behind while backing.
    On the other hand, commuting with something the size of a small boat is a little difficult and inefficient, while moving all those space and weight in the traffic.
    surely a very wide/high/long car is spacier than a smaller one, that's obvious, but there is a limit which is "how much larger" makes sense, objectively. And I think an Acura TL is better than something bigger for commuting comfortably in a sensed way.
    To each his own then.
    That's true, to each his own.

But it is very easy driving my '69 Fleetwood. Years ago, most people who never drove one found them easy to drive once they got used to the size. They also don't seem as big when you are driving one. They look at lot bigger when viewed from the outside.

I drove my '69 Fleetwood to the weekly car gathering a weeks ago and backed into a parking place up against a concrete wall. I was able to park within about one foot of the wall (first time, no corrections). This was mainly because all four fender tips are visible... a big help. On an Acura TL, for instance, all four fender tips are not visible and I think they are actually harder to park (except in very small parking lots) than my '69 FB. When I was in my brother's TL, I noticed I had no idea where the back of the car was.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    To each his own then.
    I think that covers it quite well.

And I think calling an Acura TL cramped is a bit far fetched. Surely it's smaller than a Cadillac, but what isn't these days...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think that covers it quite well.

And I think calling an Acura TL cramped is a bit far fetched. Surely it's smaller than a Cadillac, but what isn't these days...
    What can I say? I felt confined and cramped inside my brother's TL. Of course, I am used to big American cars!

I happened to take a photo of my '69 FB when I back in the parking place I mentioned. See how close I got (and on the first and only try). Fins do come in handy!

The other photos show the views looking out the back and front windows; the end of the fenders are easily visible. Helps a lot when driving and parking.

I'll give you three examples of properly cramped cars, all 4(ish) seaters.

http://www.autotropolis.com/wiki/ext...T_interior.jpg
    http://r4nt.com/images/v6/article/in...254/jaguar.jpg
    http://www.ukcar.com/road_tests/pors...o-interior.jpg

I could sit in the back of the Porsche, but not the Jag or the Audi.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    That's true, to each his own.

But it is very easy driving my '69 Fleetwood. Years ago, most people who never drove one found them easy to drive once they got used to the size. They also don't seem as big when you are driving one. They look at lot bigger when viewed from the outside.

I drove my '69 Fleetwood to the weekly car gathering a weeks ago and backed into a parking place up against a concrete wall. I was able to park within about one foot of the wall (first time, no corrections). This was mainly because all four fender tips are visible... a big help. On an Acura TL, for instance, all four fender tips are not visible and I think they are actually harder to park (except in very small parking lots) than my '69 FB. When I was in my brother's TL, I noticed I had no idea where the back of the car was.
    that's common on modern cars, regardless of the size.
    I never really understood where the front fender was in all the cars we had and that I drove except the Renault Clio mk1.
    Even on the larger one, the Lancia Phedra, it was impossible to see/perceive how long was actually the front, despite being a van with the usual short nose.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I'll give you three examples of properly cramped cars, all 4(ish) seaters.

http://www.autotropolis.com/wiki/ext...T_interior.jpg
    http://r4nt.com/images/v6/article/in...254/jaguar.jpg
    http://www.ukcar.com/road_tests/pors...o-interior.jpg

I could sit in the back of the Porsche, but not the Jag or the Audi.
    See, that's what I'm talking about. Look how skinny those seats are, especially the first and third photos. It gives a feeling of confinement. I know some people like that and it's fine for sports car but I wouldn't want to take a 3,000 mile trip in one.

I'll take a nice wide and soft seat...

What can I say? I felt confined and cramped inside my brother's TL. Of course, I am used to big American cars!

I happened to take a photo of my '69 FB when I back in the parking place I mentioned. See how close I got (and on the first and only try). Fins do come in handy!

The other photos show the views looking out the back and front windows; the end of the fenders are easily visible. Helps a lot when driving and parking.
    While thats some mighty fine parking, your front end is still sticking out beyond the parking limits
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    While thats some mighty fine parking, your front end is still sticking out beyond the parking limits
    That parking lot was most likely repaved with those parking lines in the 1980s or 1990s when there were a lot more compact cars.

Remember, these days, a Toyota Avalon is considered to be a "big" car (it would have been classified as a compact in the '60s... in the U.S., anyway).

For a long trip?
    - Cadillac DTS
    - Lincoln Town Car L-Series
    - And being a Mopar (and Cadillac) guy, maybe a Dodge Challenger, though I much prefer a '70-'71 Challenger R/T 440-Magnum
    Very cool.

And an Acura TL is about what I call kinda big too.

Your cars is what I call aircraft carrier sized.

To each his own indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Very cool.

And an Acura TL is about what I call kinda big too.

Your cars is what I call aircraft carrier sized.

To each his own indeed.
    Well, an Acura TL is shorter than my former '66 Dodge Dart GT which I never considered big.

As for my car, aircraft carrier sized sounds about right!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.

me likes Fleetwood.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    me likes Fleetwood.
    You have good taste.

everybody says cars are getting bigger and bigger.

but not fleet
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information