Thread: moment of sports brilliance

moment of sports brilliance

For as many hits as the NBA's image has taken over the past decade or so, for as much as the level of play has declined over this time period, last night's Lakers-Spurs game was absolutely one to remember! Although both teams only shot roughly 50% from the free throw line and there were turnovers galore, the final 15 seconds was absoltuely amazing, a moment all sports fans could admire regardless of who you were rooting for. Tim Duncan hitting an apparently "game winning" jumper with 0.4 seconds left followed by Derek Fisher's prayer turnaround with less than 0.1 seconds left...swish....game, over.

Incredible.

(I've had to branch out a little bit with Schumacher winning the first five races with little to no competition)

Really.......guess I'll have to watch SportsCenter tonight.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

Quote Originally Posted by bige321786
    .... the final 15 seconds was absoltuely amazing, a moment all sports fans could admire regardless of who you were rooting for. Tim Duncan hitting an apparently "game winning" jumper with 0.4 seconds left followed by Derek Fisher's prayer turnaround with less than 0.1 seconds left...swish....game, over.
    Goes to confirm my view of basketball.

Why not just make the game last 15 seconds ?
    All the rest is just about keeping within 2 points of each other for an hour
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Careful there, Matra. I've never been a huge fan of basketball, either, but one could easily say the same thing about European football, accept it's more a matter of staying within one point or tied for the entire game. Maybe it should just be sudden death, first goal wins!
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    Careful there, Matra. I've never been a huge fan of basketball, either, but one could easily say the same thing about European football, accept it's more a matter of staying within one point or tied for the entire game. Maybe it should just be sudden death, first goal wins!
    ah but they're not points in football.
    They are "goals"
    Ans as in life, having too many goals isn't worrth having.
    Quality over quantity - except for my home team 'Airdrie' a "hoof and hope" team
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    Oh dear, you need to be careful about who hears that...

The thing with Basketball is it just seems to be:
    Team A scores, Team B is given control of the ball, team B scores, team A gets the ball, team A scores, ad infinitum

Football isn't quite so simple, as there tends to be a lot more going on in between the scoring, involving skill, effort, and running back and forth quite a lot, goals are not always guaranteed, which adds to the excitement.

In Basketball, the scoring is inevitable; just how much, by whom.
    Thanks for all the fish

Not true, Lakers had a 16 point lead and gave it up to the spurs. The game wasnt all within 1-2 points. I dont think anything can get more exciting than tim duncan making a shot with .4 seconds left. They thought it was over but derek fisher managed to put it back in and won the game. That game was amazing. I have never seen anything like that. Think what you want about soccer/football/european football, but I like basketball more. Did anyone else watch that game?
    boobs

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Goes to confirm my view of basketball.

Why not just make the game last 15 seconds ?
    All the rest is just about keeping within 2 points of each other for an hour
    Sorry to all you basketball fans, but i have to strongly agree with matra on this one. Make the score 0-0, put 1 minute on the clock and let them fight it out. That way you could play like 20 games a night and make it more interesting.
    "Please, just stop blabbering! If you want to blabber...go to supercars.net cause UCP aint gonna accept this kind of behaviour." - Gtek-i

http://junaman.wordpress.com/ New articles up.

I hope you're not serious, the whole greatness of the game is the fight along the way. San Antonio played their hardest the whole game and it was all determined on that shot. And even if you could play twenty games a night wouldnt that be the same as one basketball game? People dont just watch the last 15 seconds. Now give me some +reps basketball fans.
    Last edited by bballmikey105; 05-14-2004 at 08:50 PM.
    boobs

20 games a night would make it much more interesting ladder-wise. More 1 minute games will give weaker teams a chance, and not just the same teams winning every season. It would make the play-offs interesting as well. And 1 minute would give the game excitement and put pressure on the players to perform at their best. You'll see more class and better plays. This is just my opinion and don't get mad at me for it.
    "Please, just stop blabbering! If you want to blabber...go to supercars.net cause UCP aint gonna accept this kind of behaviour." - Gtek-i

http://junaman.wordpress.com/ New articles up.

Thread Information