Thread: Norway Romp Home with the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest

Norway Romp Home with the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest

Well as many forum regulars know i'm somewhat of a tragic for the Eurovision song contest. It must be something about pretty flickering colours and good from far, but far from good-looking Eastern Europeans that appeals to the sadist in me, but this year was truly a return to form for the Eurovision song Contest - both in Content and execution.

For starters the program was very, VERY well conceived and produced. the stage was of a massive scale and the Constructivist theme chosen was well executed. Each individual stage show looked like it came from the same family but showed an entirely different facade. To cap it off the presenters spoke French/English proficiently, Voting was smooth, and the end result not entirely undeserved. There was just enough tackiness thrown in for good measure, which, really, is what we all love to see in our eurovision lives.

Ahh yes, the competitors. This year "Fairytale", sung by 23 year old Alexander Rybak, romped home with a truly massive 387 points, clearing closest rival, Iceland's Yohanna with "Is It True?" by over 100 points. Azerbaijan also had a bumper year, rounding out the top three with Aysel & Arash singing "Always", which garned 207 points.

The theme of "Fairytale" was, in my mind, incredibly well chosen as the past few years have seen the contest itself take on the theme (Finland in particular took the theme to heart with it's production in 2007). The song itself was reasonably catchy, and the addition of Cossack dancing was a nice touch.

Yohanna is an attractive enough Icelandic girl who's "Is It True?" was considered by many to be 3 minutes of near perfect pop, and highly suited to the competition. the performance was reasonably simple - No fireworks, no flames - and was benefitted as such.

Aysel & Arash represented the old Guard of the Eurovision Contest - the warbling, off key, loud and cliched eastern european country making good. "Always" was probably my least favourite song of the night because it wasn't bad enough to not be taken seriously, but it wasn't good enough to earn it's position in 3rd.

I mean look at them, seriously.

Honourable mentions for this contest go to the United Kingdom, who have fallen from grace in recent years, to make their way up to 5th position with what can only be described as a Pop Idol contest song winner. "It's My Time"

The Ukraine (12th) for what can only be described as Gay Sparta. Points are awarded for the WTF name of "Anti-Crisis Girl".

France (8th) for doing what they do best and harking back to their glory days of the 70's - with a pared back female-led ballad.

and Portugal (15th) who I felt were somewhat unlucky with their position, considering the Acid nature of their backing screen and the relatively upbeat mood of their song, it seems they chose the wrong tone for the competition.

Dishonourable mentions go to Germany (23rd) who flew In Dita Von Teese to sex up their act, only for her hard work to be undone by a pair of male, skin tight silver pants - possibly causing any hard on created to shrivel and die.

And Finland (25th) who misfired this year with a Dance song about the Homeless. Yes, you read that correctly.

Overall the new voting system had it's intended effect - Bloc Voting, while still somewhat prevalent, was all but wiped out, and it allowed a western European country the right the host the 2010 contest, which I look forward to.

Special mention must go to SBS for showing the program in Australia, with commentators who take it as seriously as I do (Meaning not very )
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 05-17-2009 at 05:58 AM.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Till lykke Norge på nasjonaldag

Also congratulations to Julie on SBS who, with a straight face, introduced 'a girl, her 2 midget brothers and a man dressed in green'
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I wasn't intending to watch the contest this year, but since the TV was on showing Eurovision, I watched the second part. Most of them, as always, sang the absolutely typical Eurovision songs, which were far from good. The guy from Norway was different, so were the girls from Estonia, which I liked the most in fact. Sadly they didn't earn anything.
    Last edited by faksta; 05-17-2009 at 08:47 AM.

The Estonian Entry looked like an Android.

The common thread seemed to be the Violin or Fiddle this year - most of the good entries had at least one of them.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I'm in love with a fairytale!!

Alexander did a great performance. So nice he won!

As he invited "the whole world" to come and meet him at the airport in Oslo when he came home, some thousands showed up to celebrate both the national day and him.

He also got a great welcome on the plane on the way to the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
    I'm in love with a fairytale!!

Alexander did a great performance. So nice he won!

As he invited "the whole world" to come and meet him at the airport in Oslo when he came home, some thousands showed up to celebrate both the national day and him.

He also got a great welcome on the plane on the way to the gate.
    Alexander is much better than Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir and Gorgoroth.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Thread Information