Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When did it all die?

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.

When did it all die?

When did motorsport die in your opinion? If it hasn't, then good luck watching the FIA get beaten into submission by Ferrari, and say hello to all the chicanes out there for me. Maybe this thread will have too much nostalgia wafting through it, but I sure don't mind, and I hope you can put your finger on the moment when motorsport died inside.

RIP motorsport since Le Mans grew some chicanes, although you were in ill health since they finished the Targa Florio off.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

That depends on which sort of motorsport you pick.

And then there's the WTCC, which somewhat manages to be exciting and interesting to watch.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Can I take the cynical approach?
    It died when the racing drivers stopped dying......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Nothing has died. There is nothing new about Ferrari throwing their weight around. Le Mans is still a daunting track and really does not need a 6km straight.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Can I take the cynical approach?
    It died when the racing drivers stopped dying......
    Either that or when the sponsors entered.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

And then there's the WTCC, which somewhat manages to be exciting and interesting to watch.

What occasion, whether political, economical or just relevent to your interests took a massive blow on something you loved about motorsport, be it cars, motorcycles, boats or planes.e.tc.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    What occasion, whether political, economical or just relevent to your interests took a massive blow on something you loved about motorsport, be it cars, motorcycles, boats or planes.e.tc.
    Rallying was killed by the FIA because it needed to be "spectator friendly". So they killed night stages, made rallies much shorter and allowed cars to restart next day if they had crashed.

I guess that answers your question.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Nothing has died. There is nothing new about Ferrari throwing their weight around. Le Mans is still a daunting track and really does not need a 6km straight.

It may not need it, but I'm sure as hell it's not the same circuit without it.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    It may not need it, but I'm sure as hell it's not the same circuit without it.
    I beg to differ. The 24 Hours of Le Mans would no longer exist without the modifications made to the track. The Porsche curves, for example, are superb.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I beg to differ. The 24 Hours of Le Mans would no longer exist without the modifications made to the track. The Porsche curves, for example, are superb.

I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree, for when I think of Le Mans, I see unhindered speed; brought upon by a V12, full throttle for miles, no way of slowing as the car hits 2 ton and 50, tyres squirming under the extreme loads. Lights icily penetrate the dark and flicker as rough public tarmac is eaten at a rate to scare mere mortals, then the kink is taken with a deep breath and a crotchful of courage, life hanging in the balance as the car straightens itself to the tune of rubber painted on the road surface without a hint of lifting the throttle. Behind, following headlights all but dissappear as the brakes are hit and earthly speeds resume. That, to me is Le Mans, and you can't get that with silly chicanes.

watch GT3, it's freaking awesome.

Either that or when the sponsors entered.
    they happened about contemporary.
    agree with both.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

when politics were faster off the track than the cars were on the track.

I would seriously suggest taking a look at the aforementioned Porsche curves. Bravery does not require speeds of over 300 km/h.

(Ted Joans)

I believe it was Sir Stirling Moss who said, "I remember a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous"

Racing dies all the time when the World has some financial problems, be it an oil crisis of seventies or the latest recession. The thing is, after that it has always seen a period of growth, which lasted until something else happened. But I'm afraid this won't be true anymore, at least in that scale. After all, racing becomes more and more expensive every year, no matter what type of racing we are talking about (I bet even horse racing).
    W.R., I think it's just a nostalgia for those times when the trees were higher and the grass was greener, although I either don't enjoy seeing the 2010 GT1 cars which are hardly able to evade from the current GT2 ones, I don't enjoy bans on almost everything new. I don't enjoy cost cutting policies, but they're necessary, or we won't see any racing at all soon.
    Shortly, I hope it all didn't die, but is just ill now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    watch GT3, it's freaking awesome.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by faksta; 05-18-2009 at 04:40 AM.

Thread Information