Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: When did it all die?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i think that is a challenge for the top level drivers due to the time that F1 takes up. It's not like the 70s when all of the F1 drivers were also racing CanAm. it would be very cool for something like that to happen again though.
    They have to work for three days every two weeks, especially now that testing is banned.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    They should make it mandatory for F1 drivers to compete in other races as well. I like Bourdais for the simple fact that he races sports cars while being an active F1 driver.
    They should.

But then again they should promote other forms of motosport outside F1 as well.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    They have to work for three days every two weeks, especially now that testing is banned.
    But they also have to practice and memorize their pre-written no-feelings-were-hurt-in-the-making-of-this-speech speech.
    I would also like to see F1 drivers participate in other series. For selfish reasons because it might bring them to the States, and just because I would respect the driver a lot more if I learned he could race in different formulae. Hell, even if one of them was a pro dragracer, I'd take that.
    The problem, imo, is that F1 is so overblown and so constantly touted as the pinnacle of motorsports that few drivers would deign to participate in "lower" series, and few teams would let them because of fear of injury etc...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    But they also have to practice and memorize their pre-written no-feelings-were-hurt-in-the-making-of-this-speech speech.
    I would also like to see F1 drivers participate in other series. For selfish reasons because it might bring them to the States, and just because I would respect the driver a lot more if I learned he could race in different formulae. Hell, even if one of them was a pro dragracer, I'd take that.
    The problem, imo, is that F1 is so overblown and so constantly touted as the pinnacle of motorsports that few drivers would deign to participate in "lower" series, and few teams would let them because of fear of injury etc...
    maybe it has something to do with audience too.
    Like, if a driver drives in another series, maybe F1 isn't that exclusive as they keep telling me.

Bertolini is the driver of the n° 1 Maserati MC12 in FIA GT, it's the factory driver, and he is also their main test driver, the faster among the other, the better tuning cars, he is involved in F1 Clienti Ferrari's program, he used to participate in early tests of previous seasons' Ferrari F1 cars.
    At the same time he also work with Ferrari for both road and race cars.
    Other than that he is a simple person, very kind, and a real enthusiast (Maserati fitted his previous Gransport with two turbos for a total 600 bhp, just for the sake of it, for instance).

So he drives extremely well GTs, F1s and road cars.
    That's a driver.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    That's a driver.
    Exactly, sounds like a good guy.
    I was very excited back when the first rumors of Valentino Rossi going into F! surfaced, because it would bring a different kind of driver into the picture.
    However, I enjoy watching him on two wheels more than most drivers on four.

That is actually a good segue into another thing that annoys me about F1; you can't really see the driver. Whether or not the driver leans is very hard to make out in that tiny little cockpit, and though they have the driver camera, you cannot see their arms very well either. It is a joy to watch a driver like Fangio sawing away at the wheel, or to see the minimalist fluidity of a smooth driver. This is just another part of removing the human and emotional/visceral part of the sport, and it's the worse for it.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Rallying was killed by the FIA because it needed to be "spectator friendly". So they killed night stages, made rallies much shorter and allowed cars to restart next day if they had crashed.
    + 1.

And when they killed the noise with silencers. Rallycars are too silent today what they used to be.

I attended the Glen GP in '73, '74 & '75 and by the end of that decade, (with notable exceptions such as Gilles & Ayrton) F1 was for all intents and purposes dead. You could see fields of 30 cars trying to qualify and the Cosworth DFV ($20,000 then) allowed privateers like Alexander Hesketh a reasonable chance of winning. You could see Ronnie Peterson, Niki Lauda, or Emerson Fittipaldi literally toss a car sideways into the chute-loop, and then use the wheel and throttle to power out. Billion Euro Bernie and his "how much will you pay to play" attitude ruined the sport. Teams now spend $20,000 to have someone polish the wheel nuts on the transporters. I see "drivers" who sit in a car and have to have the pit tell them which knobs on the steering wheel to twiddle. Shows how far down the level of competition has come. Today they can't even drive through the first turn without destroying at least 4 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Can I take the cynical approach?
    It died when the racing drivers stopped dying......
    I sort of agree henk4.
    Although I do not wish to see drivers dying, the fact remains that ever since this 'Safety is king' mentality developed in F1, the sport has become increasingly uninteresting and unexciting.
    It is also the reason why people generally have greater respect for the older drivers than the modern drivers.
    Why do you think that to many people, Ayrton Senna is considered one of the greatest drivers of the past 30 years even though Michael Schumacher has 7 championship titles to Senna's 3.
    Simply, Senna was a dangerous driver, hence, an exciting one.

that. do it.
    Robert quebitsa

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    Robert quebitsa
    Not sure if you're suggesting how bad that ended up or what.
    But I still think F1 drivers are far too payed and nannied by the technicians compared to what they do on track.

Ironically, once they did something more (see Alonso and Hamilton in Malaysian last Sunday), they get a penalty...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by querty2 View Post
    Billion Euro Bernie and his "how much will you pay to play" attitude ruined the sport.
    This. Safety improvement didn't kill motorsport... in general the 30+ year commodification of motorsport as advertising medium did.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    This. Safety improvement didn't kill motorsport... in general the 30+ year commodification of motorsport as advertising medium did.
    so the main culprit was maybe Colin Chapman, the first to paint his cars like a pack of cigarettes?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

so the main culprit was maybe Colin Chapman, the first to paint his cars like a pack of cigarettes?
    or maybe the second one ... coz that started the bidding war
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Of course not... though Matra's right, too. Advertisers help pay for the show, and promoters (like Bernie) realized there was much
    more to be made if the marketing management was done right. They ended up with the lion's share of profit, not the (smaller) competitors. It's that accumulated weight and the required economic performance that has shaped modern racing series. Prior to the 1960s, it was still a matter of national pride to field racing teams; remember the colors? Goverments now spend absurd amounts to have an F1 race, but their shiny new tracks all lose money... a team's paint job and a little back-door support was much cheaper.

Same is true for driving talent; recently a brief encounter with one of the old guard illustrated how bitter some of them are at the small potatoes they got for risking their necks compared to the millions some modern stars are paid. But I suppose that's true of sports figures in general, isn't it?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Not sure if you're suggesting how bad that ended up or what.
    But I still think F1 drivers are far too payed and nannied by the technicians compared to what they do on track.

Ironically, once they did something more (see Alonso and Hamilton in Malaysian last Sunday), they get a penalty...
    if i had 2 guys deciding the fate of a 100 million dollar exercise, id want them staying out of danger while they were away from the race weekend

roberts crash is even more frustrating considering how good this years non-lotus-non-renault is (or at least seems to be so far)

Thread Information