Thread: Porsche to replace engines of current 911 GT3 models

Porsche to replace engines of current 911 GT3 models

Following two fires, Porsche will now replace the engines of ALL 991 model 911 GT3s already built.

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche
    Sports car manufacturer Porsche will be replacing the engines of all 911 GT3 vehicles of model year 2014. This is the corrective action derived from intensive internal analyses that were initiated in response to two engine fires. Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that engine damage resulted from a loosened screw joint on the connecting rod. The loose connecting rod damaged the crankcase, which in both cases led to leakage of oil which then ignited.

After becoming aware of the two accident cases, Porsche promptly took action to avoid any risk to customers by advising them to cease using the affected 785 vehicles until further notice and have them picked up by a Porsche Centre. Now, engines with optimised screw fittings will be used in all Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles of model year 2014 – including in those that have not been delivered yet. The relevant Porsche Centres are in direct communication with customers worldwide to discuss the further course of action.

Porsche points out that no other 911 models or other model series are affected by this action.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I would like to acquire one of these discarded engines and stick it in a 5th gen Subaru Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I would like to acquire one of these discarded engines and stick it in a 5th gen Subaru Legacy.
    +1

I wonder if they're just going to be scrapped or if they will entertain interested buyers. Very intriguing stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    +1

I wonder if they're just going to be scrapped or if they will entertain interested buyers. Very intriguing stuff
    I am sure they will be stripped for parts for future engines. It seems to be a pretty localised problem.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Results in a slightly cheaper burnt down car...

Also not boasting well for the whole non-Metzger based engine thing...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

This would be a seriously hot car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I am sure they will be stripped for parts for future engines. It seems to be a pretty localised problem.
    We had the same problem on the pre-series of one of our new engine types. About 300 trucks had to be recalled, big drama with <1% profit margin on the trucks for their owners nowadays. Our management decided to take the conrods out and replace them on each individual engine. In our case the cause was out-of-spec conrods. We found out when we had multiple engines blow up / catch fire in our test cells..

Thread Information