Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Honda Insight

I agree with him - hybrids that use ICEs and batteries are doing more harm than good:

The reason why they can't progress beyond having to have an ICE to supplement batteries is that batteries are the fundamental flaw. They take enormous amounts of energy to produce, they're heavy, endurance is rubbish, operating constraints make them inefficient, their lifespan is short...the list goes on.

In the latest issue of Evo, they test the Tesla Roadster (essentially a battery-powered Elise), and it's rubbish. It drives well, yes...for five minutes before the battery runs out.

The heavy batteries also mean that it weighs around 300KG more than an Elise. Now I don't know about you, but I remember learning that heavy cars consume more energy, which is counterproductive. Not only that but weight has another long list of disadvantages in a car, including it being less safe in an impact, taking longer to stop and handling worse than a similarly-sized but lighter vehicle.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I agree with him - hybrids that use ICEs and batteries are doing more harm than good:

The reason why they can't progress beyond having to have an ICE to supplement batteries is that batteries are the fundamental flaw. They take enormous amounts of energy to produce, they're heavy, endurance is rubbish, operating constraints make them inefficient, their lifespan is short...the list goes on.

In the latest issue of Evo, they test the Tesla Roadster (essentially a battery-powered Elise), and it's rubbish. It drives well, yes...for five minutes before the battery runs out.

The heavy batteries also mean that it weighs around 300KG more than an Elise. Now I don't know about you, but I remember learning that heavy cars consume more energy, which is counterproductive. Not only that but weight has another long list of disadvantages in a car, including it being less safe in an impact, taking longer to stop and handling worse than a similarly-sized but lighter vehicle.
    The Tesla used old NiCd batteries.
    Prius mk1 batteries are still working properly, after 12 years.
    Modern Li-ions batteries are lighter and more efficient, and already available.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I didn't expect him to like it, he hated the Prius too.

read this in the times newspaper on sunday.

the mistake some people make is to take clarksons word or opinion as a religion of banter and truth. so not everything he says should be taken so seriously. but in this article his opinion on the way cars such as this are just alternatives to a decent diesel are indeed close to the truth. hydrogen cars are the way forward. we've already established that. this car will do the same MPG as a VW golf 1.8 diesel when both driven economically. yet the insight is sold as a smug green tree hugging car. he's right in saying that the effort and money put into making the insight could have advanced hondas participation in hydrogen engine technology.

I liked it actually. Some of the points he raised reminded me of the fuss made over the 2001 Wheels COTY which was handed to the Holden Barina (Opel Corsa) over the Mk1 Prius. As technically brilliant as hybrids are, particularly dedicated models such as the Prius and Insight, the rest of the car is generally poor, mostly as a consequence of further gains in economy such as low friction tyres which dont grip.
    I am the Stig

I think if you treat a car designed for economy like a sports car it's bound to cause you upset.

Economy requires a sense of discipline and an entirely new style of driving I doubt Clarkson finds interesting enough.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    read this in the times newspaper on sunday.

the mistake some people make is to take clarksons word or opinion as a religion of banter and truth. so not everything he says should be taken so seriously. but in this article his opinion on the way cars such as this are just alternatives to a decent diesel are indeed close to the truth. hydrogen cars are the way forward. we've already established that. this car will do the same MPG as a VW golf 1.8 diesel when both driven economically. yet the insight is sold as a smug green tree hugging car. he's right in saying that the effort and money put into making the insight could have advanced hondas participation in hydrogen engine technology.
    Consider that driving both cars reckless, the Golf (1.9, not 1,8) would pollute more, and if driven normally the Insight would still pollute less. I guess even fuel consumption would be better for the Honda.

Then you can operate it in electric mode to cross limited traffic areas, something a traditional car can't do.
    and it's silent, despite this being something people hate because it's supposedly dangerous because you don't hear the car coming.
    First of all, pay attention you are crossing the street, even a bicycle can hurt you, second, what about all those kids with iPods, who need to adjust the volume while on the street?!

I still think series hybrids (plug-in ones) are a better solution, but even parallel ones have been a good start.

I see hybrids as a good stop gap for a future alternative fuel.

Plug in hybrids, even better.

But it certainly is not a solution.

Ahem, like some people in the Midwest believe ethanol to be.

While not being the answer to the question, hybrid cars are definitely a solid rung in the ladder. When it comes to this kind of technology, its not so easy to go from one extreme to the next, and there will be a lot of goof ups along the way. Other than the seemingly inconvenient process of developing these vehicles, my question is why do they go through the trouble of redesigning "the car" and coming out with these futuristic shapes. They all look hideous.

As for Clarkson, I think he brings forth excellent points using lots of humor, wit and passion. Lots of people don't agree with his style, but when I think of other car reviews they are downright dull and boring in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche View Post
    As for Clarkson, I think he brings forth excellent points using lots of humor, wit and passion. Lots of people don't agree with his style, but when I think of other car reviews they are downright dull and boring in comparison.
    that doesn't make his reviews good.
    As a show, it's really entertaining, but as a automobile program it has some good points hidden behind sarcasm, hyperboles and pointless tests, but the way they are presented makes them impossible to see /understand for the average public, therefore its content is taken as gold and holy truth, and that's why I don't like it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche View Post
    Other than the seemingly inconvenient process of developing these vehicles, my question is why do they go through the trouble of redesigning "the car" and coming out with these futuristic shapes. They all look hideous.
    There are the Camry, Civic, Fusion, Malibu, and, dare I say, Escalade hybrids to name a few.

My view on Clarkson is that it's no skin off my nose, and he does make entertaining stuff, so I watch and occasionally there is an insightful (sorry) nugget buried in all the tire smoke and hyperbole.
    I have met one or two people whose only connection to the car world is through Top Gear and who take it at face value, but like I said, it's no skin off my nose. Ultimately Clarkson is an entertainer, not a "car expert."
    Actually, come to think about it, when I went karting, there was one kid that refused to believe that drifting around a corner wasn't the fastest way. I didn't ask him why he thought this, but I can guess.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    what he said is not true, hybrids are built for a reason Jeremy. TO SAVE THE PLANET SO THAT MY GENERARTION CAN HAVE A FUTURE ON THE EARTH AND NOT BURN UP.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

they are built to sell. plain and simple. playing on people's desire to look like they are saving the planet. if you want to save the planet, get a bike.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    what he said is not true, hybrids are built for a reason Jeremy. TO SAVE THE PLANET SO THAT MY GENERARTION CAN HAVE A FUTURE ON THE EARTH AND NOT BURN UP.
    Hahaha.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    they are built to sell. plain and simple. playing on people's desire to look like they are saving the planet. if you want to save the planet, get a bike.
    yeah im aware that they are part of the marketing skeem, but still, most of you guys are older than me and me ( and possibly some other members on here ) are going to have to deal with what some people have done to the planet.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Thread Information