Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf (VI-5K) GTI 2009–2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    What generation is this now? I have lost count
    Look at the thread title.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Definitely less attractive then the current gen. though about time they added an extra exhaust, its one of my favorite touches.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    This is VI, even thought it's mostly a facelifted V in my opinion.
    That's exactly what it is.
    Visca Catalunya!

Cool pics. Thanks. The first two batches featuring the white car have been floating around for some time, but the rest are new to me. I like this GTI much better than the one it replaces. It seems like this is where the design could've/should've gone after the MkIV. The dual exhaust is a nice touch and I'm glad to see the large-mouth Audi-style grille has disappeared. I always thought the MkVs looked like Legos. I'm sure they're a step up from previous generations (I've had a MkIII and now a MkIV) but the styling was just a wee bit too boy-toy/street racer for me in my opinion.

It'll be interesting to see how this one performs. I feel like VW hasn't completely tapped the performance potential of the GTI yet. The AWD and V6 in the R32 is nice, but it's too heavy to really get up and go. On the other hand, the GTI is quick and nimble, but is missing the extra power and broader power band that would really make it kick ass. I'd really like to see a car that combines the weight of the GTI with the power of the R32. Give me that in a five-door with a 6-speed and RWD(yeah right) and I'm set! Perhaps the new GTI-R will do the trick. It's rumored to have 265 horsies coming from the 2.0T, so hopefully the AWD won't weigh it down too much.
    Last edited by switters78; 05-21-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    That's exactly what it is.
    They have changed a few parts and made it more efficient to build. Nothing major, but of course they're not saying it's just a facelift...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I'm presonally not too fond of the dual exhaust. I think it's out of place in a 4 cylinder hot hatch, as if it was trying to be more upmarket or premium than it really is. The classic twin tail pipes of the GTI were better in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how this one performs. I feel like VW hasn't completely tapped the performance potential of the GTI yet. The AWD and V6 in the R32 is nice, but it's too heavy to really get up and go. On the other hand, the GTI is quick and nimble, but is missing the extra power and broader power band that would really make it kick ass. I'd really like to see a car that combines the weight of the GTI with the power of the R32. Give me that in a five-door with a 6-speed and RWD(yeah right) and I'm set! Perhaps the new GTI-R will do the trick. It's rumored to have 265 horsies coming from the 2.0T, so hopefully the AWD won't weigh it down too much.
    You've just described the Scirocco R.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 05-21-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm presonally not too fond of the dual exhaust. I think it's out of place in a 4 cylinder hot hatch, as if it was trying to be more upmarket or premium than it really is. The classic twin tail pipes of the GTI were better in my opinion.

I did not post that.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Damn it! How did that happen?

Sorted it now.
    Visca Catalunya!

I can't help but think the new GTI and infact the golf VI in general is something of a standing-still upgrade. As mentioned already, it is essentially a facelift. Never before has a golf in any generation had such minimal changes in its step up. They had a solid design with the V. Arguably the best golf since the original. Having owned 2 Golf V's in our family the VI doesnt present anything appealing. The front GTI audi-style grille has been erased from memory it seems. Which had become a trademark golf-sport addition. With the R32 also sporting the same visual style. The new golf looks more like an audi A3. The only bonus I can see is that the interior is a little more modernised. But given the current economy I can't work out why they thought it was time to upgrade the golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    I can't help but think the new GTI and infact the golf VI in general is something of a standing-still upgrade. As mentioned already, it is essentially a facelift. Never before has a golf in any generation had such minimal changes in its step up. They had a solid design with the V. Arguably the best golf since the original. Having owned 2 Golf V's in our family the VI doesnt present anything appealing. The front GTI audi-style grille has been erased from memory it seems. Which had become a trademark golf-sport addition. With the R32 also sporting the same visual style. The new golf looks more like an audi A3. The only bonus I can see is that the interior is a little more modernised. But given the current economy I can't work out why they thought it was time to upgrade the golf.
    it wasn't very remunerative since the beginning, and sales were therefore a bit under the expectations due to the slightly higher price than what people were willing to pay. Therefore upgrading the product was in the air since the beginning. probably they thought it was better to make it a better product from the engineering point of view, so easier to build/assembly and therefore more remunerative now that people got used to the price, instead of changing completely the (averagely good) product and never get decent profits on the V project.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I can agree with that. I suppose it's a matter of opinion. The duals, while good-looking, do seem a bit out of place on a hot hatch, but not as much as the dual twins on a Pontiac Grand-Am! It seems like a lot of automakers are favoring duals these days however, since a lot of cars are becoming more performance oriented, which I don't quite get. I say leave performance to performance cars, and let everything else be what it was designed to be. I can't count how many times I've seen a soccer mom driving something with dual exhaust, 18" wheels, and more horsepower than she'd know what to do with (no offense to the soccer moms) From that point of view, duals on a GTI don't seem as out of place as they do on a Subaru Outback or a Toyota Avalon, or any number of other cars I could name.

Yeah...drool...but us Americans won't be seeing that car anytime soon, if ever. It would be nice to see VW send something like that over here.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Look at the thread title.
    It was suppose to be sarcastic.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

The best to have ever come from Germany! Thank you Ferrer!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    [QUOTE=switters78;885728]I can agree with that. I suppose it's a matter of opinion. The duals, while good-looking, do seem a bit out of place on a hot hatch, but not as much as the dual twins on a Pontiac Grand-Am! It seems like a lot of automakers are favoring duals these days however, since a lot of cars are becoming more performance oriented, which I don't quite get. I say leave performance to performance cars, and let everything else be what it was designed to be. I can't count how many times I've seen a soccer mom driving something with dual exhaust, 18" wheels, and more horsepower than she'd know what to do with (no offense to the soccer moms) From that point of view, duals on a GTI don't seem as out of place as they do on a Subaru Outback or a Toyota Avalon, or any number of other cars I could name.

Yeah...drool...but us Americans won't be seeing that car anytime soon, if ever. It would be nice to see VW send something like that over here.[/QUOTE]

thats because our governments may be wealthy, but their choice of what comes over the ocean suck. oh yeah, dual exhaust ports are one of the best detailing evar! gotta love those dual exhuast!
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Volkswagen Golf GTI #14
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information