Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf (VI-5K) GTI 2009–2012

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Oh my goodness. I love it although I have seen many here in my city. Who doesn't love the GTi? Bang for the buck!
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Sadly since the MkII the GTi is more like "bang for the bulk"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Sadly since the MkII the GTi is more like "bang for the bulk"
    As with every other modern car.

If we consider all the modern rival this isn't a bad car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I went to a VW dealer cause now my wife decided that she wants to get a VW Tiguan (WTF?) Anyway, I excused myself from the boring little SUV and walked over to the new GTi. Pretty damn nice car inside and out. I'd probably like it even a bit more if it wasn't for all the pricks that drive around in GTis and think they own Ferrari killers....

BTW, is it me or is the clutch way too close to the brake? That felt extremely uncomfortable imo, I have big shoes and need some space down there.

I don't know if they changed the pedal layout from the MK V to MK VI but I wear size 13 wides and I've never had an issue.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    As with every other modern car.

If we consider all the modern rival this isn't a bad car.
    Renautl, Citroen et al have taken their "performance" model and gone lighter, faster
    I think the GTi lost it's raison d'etre once the marketing folks starting using it to sell more plain Golfs.
    It's taken the French to get back to quietly selling lairy cars at the top fo the price/performance bracket in their model range.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The Megane RS weights 1462kg, the Golf GTI 1393kg, officially.

It doesn't matter that the Golf isn't the fastest or the most radical, it was always meant to be an all rounder, and that's what it does it and does it quite well.
    Visca Catalunya!

Megane's a bigger model in the range.
    Golf USED to be Clio sized. I'm guilty of always thinking the Golf was it's best when it was the smaller version perhaps

Re the GTi ... it was meant to be the fastest/rad hatchbak in the range -- until they did the G60 mind

No it isn't, or wasn't for that matter. The Golf has always been in check with its rivals when it comes to size. Yes, it has grown bigger, but so have the Alfasud/33/145/147, or the 11/19/Megane. You cannot accuse the Golf of being the culprit, if anything it's an industry wide trend.

Also, yes the Golf was meant to be the fastest in its range. But compared to its rivals there always were larier and more radical, faster versions, be it the Chevette HSs, the Lotus Sunbeams, the 309 GTi 16vs, Kadett GSi 16vs and so on. I'd say that the GTI was meant to be an all rounder, capable fo doing everything. Like the current one does.
    Visca Catalunya!

Wouldn't put the 33 in the same category of the 145/6 and 147. I always consider it more of a 155 and 156.

Anyway, perhaps the Golf was Clio-sized, but on the other hand the Clio has always been bigger than its competitors. It was already 4 meters long when the Punto didn't even exist.

Had many chance into the Golf mkIV, never liked. The V surely was an improvement, but it was still too expensive. The GTI surely was a nice car, and the VIish generation can't be worse. If the weak point of the V is the price, imo, then with the VI they have solved a problem as many costs have been absorbed over the years, the price of the average competitor is now higher than 7 years ago, and so they can maintain a similar price while focusing on say new engines or other stuff.

Just don't call it mkVI
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Just don't call it mkVI
    Having ridden in a Mk.VS GTI, it was very roomy and nice inside, but its exhaust droned, it felt heavy(though I didn't drive it), and the suspension felt hard like a truck's not a sportscar's. All in all, not a great passenger car that did not seem all that vivacious.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Having ridden in a Mk.VS GTI, it was very roomy and nice inside, but its exhaust droned, it felt heavy(though I didn't drive it), and the suspension felt hard like a truck's not a sportscar's. All in all, not a great passenger car that did not seem all that vivacious.
    MK VS?

Hard suspensions are a main issues on VAG cars it appears.

Yes, I faintly recalled (and wiki sort of confirmed) that S was the unofficial Roman numeral for "1/2".

The DSG seemed quite good though, as good as any slushbox in terms of smoothness.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I rode in an A1 with the S-tronic gearbox and it was remarkable how seamless the shifts were.

It's still an automatic though.
    Visca Catalunya!

So be it, Gold MK VS

Thread Information