2 3.33%
  • Cotterik

3 5.00%
  • pat_ernzen

13 21.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Automotive Photography Competition #212 [Voting]

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    If that is your interpretation, go ahead, I though am convinced that I never said such a thing.
    Why don't you then explain your policy on editing for it to be crystal clear for all of us then? I hear you making comments about edited photos frequently and you consistently challenge the authority of the runner of these competitions even though the issue has essentially been been put to rest.

What exactly do you want in a photography competition henk?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Why don't you then explain your policy on editing for it to be crystal clear for all of us then? I hear you making comments about edited photos frequently and you consistently challenge the authority of the runner of these competitions even though the issue has essentially been been put to rest.

What exactly do you want in a photography competition henk?
    Dear Cameron, I think for those who know what photography is and who do it themselves, my point of view is perfectly clear. I know you don't belong to this group, which makes my explanations maybe more difficult to grasp. Perhaps you should read some old books about dark room techniques.
    When I read your post, it made my think of an old joke once made by Dutch comedian (long dead now) who commented on the Pope's ruling regarding contraceptives and birthcontrol. The line was: "If you don't play the game, don't interfere with the rules"

And please tell me where I "consistently challenge the authority of the runner of this competition" Do you mean the issue that one of my shots was refused because it was 803 in stead of 800? I have hardly participated in the competitions lately, and the only time I entered into a discussion was about HDR, and I was not even planning to until I saw some comments made by others.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Dear Cameron, I think for those who know what photography is and who do it themselves, my point of view is perfectly clear. I know you don't belong to this group, which makes my explanations maybe more difficult to grasp. Perhaps you should read some old books about dark room techniques.
    When I read your post, it made my think of an old joke once made by Dutch comedian (long dead now) who commented on the Pope's ruling regarding contraceptives and birthcontrol. The line was: "If you don't play the game, don't interfere with the rules"

And please tell me where I "consistently challenge the authority of the runner of this competition" Do you mean the issue that one of my shots was refused because it was 803 in stead of 800? I have hardly participated in the competitions lately, and the only time I entered into a discussion was about HDR, and I was not even planning to until I saw some comments made by others.
    Sorry if I annoyed you there henk - it was not my intention.

When I said that you "consistently challenge the authority of the runner of this competition," I meant that you frequently have pointed out when others had used post-processing and complained vociferously to other users in the forum that others had used this technique, even though the consensus had long since been reached regarding post-processing. I think this complaining or whatever you want to call it was challenging zeppelin as the way I read it - you wanted him to change the rules of the competition even though he ran it this way for some time.

Whether or not you or I like it, post-processing is allowed in these competitions and that's that. This issue has been beat to death many times and yet the debate still goes on. Whoever runs this, zeppelin or #1 needs to make a final decision as to whether post-processing is allowed and if it is, to what extent it is allowed - once this decision is made, I think people should be quiet about the use of post-processing. I'd like to see the raw images attached as I mentioned above so we can see exactly what processing has been done.

Yes I don't play the game, but I like to watch the game, and I think my opinion is still valid.

Now go back to my original post where I mentioned that I am from "the film generation" The only reason why I said that was to indicate that I am more familiar with things from that period, than with all sorts of modern computer programs that can be used to deal with pictures. Why did I mention that? Because I was using a programme that without me being aware of that, reduced the quality of my shot and people had started asking questions about it. I provided them with an answer.
    And out of the blue the discussion once more turns into this post processing issue. (and yes, I mentioned it a couple of posts later, with a smiley attached, but for your understanding it might have been better to attach the "dead horse" smiley, which I have seen somewhere else). I cannot remember that I have been launching (formal) complaints in the photo competition threads about post processing since ages. I saw Niko's first HDR shots and I kept silent. Furthermore though the "rules" have been established, I think it is still free to mention what you think about a photograph, and when one "thinks" that it is over processed, is that against the law of the competition, or even challenging the authority of the person who runs the comps? I think not.

And regarding your final remark, you surely must have seen "Being there", with the immortal scene involving Shirley McLaine and Peter Sellars, that followed after Sellars had said: "I like to watch"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Why do u guys take it so seriously lol, its just for fun and to improve our skills (taking pics and "enhance" them). And remember, there is no prize to fight for

Another thing, there is some great sticky threads waiting this kind of discussion. its healthy to take it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    And remember, there is no prize to fight for
    didn't anyone tell you? oh man..you've been missing out. whoever wins gets the golden chicken.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    didn't anyone tell you? oh man..you've been missing out. whoever wins gets the golden chicken.
    I am striving for the golden egg, actually.

nice. is that what you win with an un-edited shot?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    nice. is that what you win with an un-edited shot?
    yes preferably a Daguerrotype of shot.

Thread Information