Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe...Surprisingly Good?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm sorry but, why?
    they are Nazis, didn't you know?!
    stupidly kidding
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I'm sorry but, why?
    my whole curse thing... BMWs scare the hell out of me. i am generally afraid for my life when im in them. the driving of the 135 a few weeks ago was very nerve wracking.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

mmm no thanks its a Hyundai sorry.
    Thanks for coming by, Please dont come again =)

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I have my personal prejudice against Korean cars
    like the prejudice north americans had when japan started to export here? you need to grow up asap
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Hyundai no longer have a bad reputation for durability, I don't have a problem with it. My only (small) complaint is its not my favorite looking car. It's not bad, but it's not awesome. I'm glad Hyundai is doing well though, and I think they deserve this car and the sedan version to sell well.

(I still liked the styling of the Tiburon 2nd gen better)

Oh by the way, I was doing some reading and the genesis is not the replacement for the Tiburon.
    New Car Reviews : R.I.P. Hyundai Tiburon: 1997-2008

According to wikipedia there will be a new tiburon someday, and probably still front wheel 1.6-2.0 liter turbo.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

It probably is a big step for the Korean car market, probably very good car too. But it's so ugly I don't think I ever want to even see one.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

I don't know about you guys, but I like a car with a little racing in it's pedigree.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I like a car with a little racing in it's pedigree.
    These days it's difficult to find an affordable car with proper racing pedigree.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

i'm sure it will get entered in something.. and the 2.0L turbo engine is from mitsubishi.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    the japanese brands dont have the design language that goes back decades, so they are still trying to piece it together. i think infiniti is the only one that has a very consolidated theme among all of its models, and they arent very aggressive. so i think as the brands mature they will start to subdue and become more consolidated. but i think it is also what the japanese consumers are after, and so thats why they look that way.
    I think that's certainly part of it, although I can think of some classic Japanese models that were designed very nicely (Mazda Cosmos, Toyota 2000GT, Datsun 240Z to name a few). I think perhaps the reason for the appeal of aggressive looking cars could also be tied to population numbers in general. It seems that aggressive behavior in nature occurs most frequently in densely populated areas where animals have to defend territory, fight for food, mates, etc. I think as the world population grows (and Japan is very densely populated!) a more aggressive mentality is slowly seeping into human culture, which would naturally find its way into not only automobiles but other aspects of culture as well.

That said, I agree that the Asian companies lack the lengthy heritage of, say, Mercedes-Benz, and thus the maturity, so it'll be interesting to see where they go as time progresses. However, a company like MB had the fortune of developing when the world wasn't quite as fast-paced as it is today. I think it's going to be more difficult for modern companies to find their stride than it was for an automaker 50-100 years ago, because there's more competition and less time and space to prove oneself before public desires change again. Back then it wasn't necessary to reinvent the wheel every 5 years just to stay in the game, but times have changed and I think a lot of brands get confused trying to stay on top of what people want instead of focusing on their ideal, and I definitely notice this more with the Japanese marques since, as you said, they don't have the history to draw from.

I've always liked the G35s...a buddy of mine has one...Infiniti has one of Japan's more cohesive design identities for sure, although they too seem to be getting a little angry lately
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Let them start from somewhere though.
    And no, drifting ain't racing.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    I think that's certainly part of it, although I can think of some classic Japanese models that were designed very nicely (Mazda Cosmos, Toyota 2000GT, Datsun 240Z to name a few). I think perhaps the reason for the appeal of aggressive looking cars could also be tied to population numbers in general. It seems that aggressive behavior in nature occurs most frequently in densely populated areas where animals have to defend territory, fight for food, mates, etc. I think as the world population grows (and Japan is very densely populated!) a more aggressive mentality is slowly seeping into human culture, which would naturally find its way into not only automobiles but other aspects of culture as well.

That said, I agree that the Asian companies lack the lengthy heritage of, say, Mercedes-Benz, and thus the maturity, so it'll be interesting to see where they go as time progresses. However, a company like MB had the fortune of developing when the world wasn't quite as fast-paced as it is today. I think it's going to be more difficult for modern companies to find their stride than it was for an automaker 50-100 years ago, because there's more competition and less time and space to prove oneself before public desires change again. Back then it wasn't necessary to reinvent the wheel every 5 years just to stay in the game, but times have changed and I think a lot of brands get confused trying to stay on top of what people want instead of focusing on their ideal, and I definitely notice this more with the Japanese marques since, as you said, they don't have the history to draw from.

I've always liked the G35s...a buddy of mine has one...Infiniti has one of Japan's more cohesive design identities for sure, although they too seem to be getting a little angry lately
    Do you know how old Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan are?
    Only Mitsubishi (Motors) is 39 years old, desptie the first Mitsubishi Company being enstablished 139 tears ago, and Subaru is 55 year old.

It's not just something related to the time since their foundation, its something about global market, social behavior, their own cultures and of the markets they want to enter, and much more.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Do you know how old Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan are?
    Only Mitsubishi (Motors) is 39 years old, desptie the first Mitsubishi Company being enstablished 139 tears ago, and Subaru is 55 year old.

It's not just something related to the time since their foundation, its something about global market, social behavior, their own cultures and of the markets they want to enter, and much more.
    And Audi has managed to forge a strong identity in just 40-odd years.

I agree with Damiano basically. Look at the covers of their car magazines. For us it's a mess, but a japanese person is able to single out every detail and enjoy it, while we prefer a simpler and more cohesive package.
    Visca Catalunya!

And Audi has managed to forge a strong identity in just 40-odd years.

I agree with Damiano basically. Look at the covers of their car magazines. For us it's a mess, but a japanese person is able to single out every detail and enjoy it, while we prefer a simpler and more cohesive package.
    or look at a Mustang, and then look at the 500. not saying I wouldn't drive a Mustang, or that an American wouldn't like a 500 (both old and new probably), but there is a reason why the Mustang wasn't designed in Turin or the 500 in Michigan.

These days it's difficult to find an affordable car with proper racing pedigree.
    If not the model, at least the marque. Honda and Toyota have F1 histories, Nissan races the Z, Minis rally, Fiat 500s rally, etc.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

If not the model, at least the marque. Honda and Toyota have F1 histories, Nissan races the Z, Minis rally, Fiat 500s rally, etc.
    Hyundai used to have a works rally team.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information