Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical driving - Mitsubishi iMiEV review

Electrical driving - Mitsubishi iMiEV review

Hi,

Today I got the chance to drive a highly unique vehicle on invitation by the R&D President of Mitsubishi, the iMiEV. A short review of my first electrical drive, which is hopefully not my last!

For those of you unknown to this vehicle, the iMiEV is to be the first production EV(Electrical Vehicle). It is in a very advanced state of development compared to other vehicles at the moment. This EV is based upon the Mitsubishi I, a model sold exclusively in Japan. It is a typical Kei car, with full aluminium body like certain Audi's. The regular model has the small engine in the back, with RWD.

This iMiEV has a full electric drivetrain, powered by a battery pack under your feet and a electric engine in the back. It can be charged regularly(6-8 hours) or by quick charging (until 78.7% SOC) in approx. 30 minutes. Mitsubishi is in the testing phase now and it plans to put it on the domestic market in late 2009 (RHD) and in 2010 on the European market (LHD).

So let's get on to my driving experiences. First of all it was a perfect fit for me and within 10 seconds I had a excellent seat. First thing I noticed was the very nice interior and offcourse the RHD that I am not used to. The car has a automatic gearbox it looks, but with a twist. Apart from the usual you have Eco and Brk options on the gear lever. Eco mode is for feeding less power to the engines and save power. The Brk mode means it regenerates extra electricity upon releasing the throttle, by reversing the electric engine for it to become a generator.
    Furthermore the "regular" speedometer is replaced by a digital display with the speed in the middle of the gauges box. In the normal location of the speedometer is a SOC(State of charge) indicator. It shows how much power you are using and/or how much you regenerate.

So the Japanese engineer gave me the keys and explained every system of the vehicle. Starting is very odd, you turn the key and nothing happens except the radio starting to play. I turned it for 2 or 3 times, like most of us, i was expecting to hear something instinctively. This feeling remained for the rest of the drive.

As we took off it amazed me by the smoothness of operation. In almost every car I drive I need a few minutes to get used to the feel it has. I took off straight away in this one. The steering and operating feel of a vehicle like this is exactly the same as in a regular car. With one huge difference though. In every normal car you hear and feel the engine gaining speed and making revs, following it's own characteristic power diagram. The acceleration in a car like this is fully lineair.
    Because of this property you quickly break the speed limits as you dont have to gain momentum for example when you floor it when you want to overtake, the power is right there, not even a 0.x second delay. Accelation is perfectly seemless, you do not notice a single thing except that the landscape moves by faster.

When you let go off the throttle you can see the meter of the SOC-indicator flying left, regeneration mode, you see a fairly big decrease in speed as well. It is hardly noticeable, but it is larger than I felt in any "normal" vehicle without braking.

I did a total of 30 minutes and around 40 km in this vehicle. The batteries seemed to be coping fine and were around 25% depleted after this short drive. The promised range of 160km could be true in these conditions.

This seems all I can think of at the moment. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If I don't have the answer myself, I will forward them to the Japanese contacts I have now
    Last edited by drakkie; 06-03-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Cool, just wondering, why should it be first production EV?
    There has been other cars, not only the Tesla, but even the Panda Electra of the eighties.

I don't understand though why there is a specific "gear" for activating the regenerative breaking. It should be something integrated in the Eco mode.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Cool, just wondering, why should it be first production EV?
    There has been other cars, not only the Tesla, but even the Panda Electra of the eighties.

I don't understand though why there is a specific "gear" for activating the regenerative breaking. It should be something integrated in the Eco mode.
    According to Mitsubishi it's the first mass-produced EV. The regenerative braking is always active however when you release the throttle.However when you put it in this mode, it is much more intense and noticeable, thereby regenerating more power.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    According to Mitsubishi it's the first mass-produced EV. The regenerative braking is always active however when you release the throttle.However when you put it in this mode, it is much more intense and noticeable, thereby regenerating more power.
    Make sense now, but, if it regenerate more power, isn't it even more eco?
    I may understand the difference, but this could confuse people, they'd better fix it.

How'd you get a shot at driving this drakkie?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    How'd you get a shot at driving this drakkie?
    By being so awesome

On a more serious note:
    I attended the ATC Congress in Helmond today. Over there I posed some questions that interested this guy and he came to me after his presentation. We had a almost hour-long discussion and I was offered this then.

Pretty intense debating by the way between a representative of GM talking about the Opel Ampera and the Mitsubishi guy about the different strategies of recharging.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    By being so awesome
    Excellent, you're awesome enough to drive an electric city car...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Excellent, you're awesome enough to drive an electric city car...
    We knew. Now Mitsubishi knows. Soon the whole world will realise what it has been missing.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

oh hey, McReis is back!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    oh hey, McReis is back!
    You can't see me but I'm always present. Just like God. Not Drakkie. The other one.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    it kinda looks like a Tata Nano. only better.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

The i-Miev is everything the Smart ForFour should have been.

Although why you would go one over a Regular Mitsubishi i is another matter entirely.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The i-Miev is everything the Smart ForFour should have been.

Although why you would go one over a Regular Mitsubishi i is another matter entirely.
    then say the Mitsu i is everything a Smart FourFor should have been, and you'd be fine.

The Smart ForFour should have been so much more than it is, idealogically if for nothing else.

The Mitsubishi i Is a brilliant car, by all accounts, in it's own right. And should not be associated with that failure of a Brand.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

The i is the clever Smart. Same sort of layout but actually usable and not a toy.

The Forfour was actually a fine supermini, if not very especial.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information