Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAAB sold to Koenigsegg

SAAB sold to Koenigsegg

This could be a very good thing for them what do you all think?

Koenigsegg And Saab: Unlikely Bedfellows - Forbes.com

I was hoping this would happen...I think it'll be interesting to see what happens with Saab's performance models (and the brand in general, no pun intended)...maybe even an actual sports car in the future! Anyway, glad to see them back in Sweden. I always thought they lost some of their identity when GM took over.

I enjoyed the line in the article that said GM would be supplying engine technology to Koenigsegg!?...hmm

*The new Saab 9-3, available with either the 806hp 4.7L V8 from the CCX...or...the 1.2L I4 from the Aveo!*
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

I want modern versions of these:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Great news to me!
    Koenigsegg isnt big enough to ruin the brand, awesome!

Im really curious what we can expect from them.

100000 hp fwd, torquesteering madness. im down.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Hmmmm

I am not sure this is good news for Saab. Ok Koenigsegg make supercars, but I'm not sure that they know how to manage in the non-supercar business...

The good thing is that for a while they will have access to GM's platforms/engines/gearboxes, but as soon as this period ends, they will have to work with someone else.

Anyway, all the best for Saab, as I really like their cars.

Maybe they can make an 2.0T version of the Koenigsegg????
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Excellent news.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I guess I never considered that there might be positive results to GM filing for bankruptcy. All the small European car companies they bought up were morphing into the same corporate, generic garbage. Should this deal go through, they'll be back in their own country and they should have most of their own creative freedom to do whatever it is that Swedes do... The only thing that worries me is that $600 million of the deal is coming from an investment bank which will expect fast results and will be quick to pull the plug if things don't appear to be going their way.

It's nice to know that Opel has also been taken out of GM's hands. Maybe now they won't be just a rebadged Vauxhall.

For many years now the Vauxhall's have been the rebadged OPELs

Yay!
    I am very cautiously optimistic that SAAB will do good things and endure. I hope that Koenigsegg don't just focus on sports cars, as SAAB will still need its bread and butter cars to stay solvent. However, hatches that seem all too willing to deposit you in a ditch would be much appreciated. I think Koenigsegg's work with biofuels and hybrids might also trickle down, and that should be good for SAAB.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Hmmmm

I am not sure this is good news for Saab. Ok Koenigsegg make supercars, but I'm not sure that they know how to manage in the non-supercar business...

The good thing is that for a while they will have access to GM's platforms/engines/gearboxes, but as soon as this period ends, they will have to work with someone else.

Anyway, all the best for Saab, as I really like their cars.

Maybe they can make an 2.0T version of the Koenigsegg????
    Ever wondered how Koenigsegg himself financed the supercar adventure? He is a business man in first place, managed to establish a rather profitable import/export company which helped him in surviving while developing a car for 7 years without earning a single dollar out of it.

So did Pagani, for the record. Modena Design is as profitable as Pagani Automobili.

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    I guess I never considered that there might be positive results to GM filing for bankruptcy. All the small European car companies they bought up were morphing into the same corporate, generic garbage. Should this deal go through, they'll be back in their own country and they should have most of their own creative freedom to do whatever it is that Swedes do... The only thing that worries me is that $600 million of the deal is coming from an investment bank which will expect fast results and will be quick to pull the plug if things don't appear to be going their way.

It's nice to know that Opel has also been taken out of GM's hands. Maybe now they won't be just a rebadged Vauxhall.
    The 600 M $ comes from a bank, which in turn has a close tie with the Swedish Government, so it's a bit different.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Ever wondered how Koenigsegg himself financed the supercar adventure? He is a business man in first place, managed to establish a rather profitable import/export company which helped him in surviving while developing a car for 7 years without earning a single dollar out of it.

So did Pagani, for the record. Modena Design is as profitable as Pagani Automobili.
    Someone at Autoblog commented that this was like Pagani buying Fiat.

More like Lancia I thought. Which would be brilliant actually.

Do it.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Someone at Autoblog commented that this was like Pagani buying Fiat.

More like Lancia I thought. Which would be brilliant actually.

Do it.
    I'd say Alfa, considering the sportscar heritage, rather than rallying.
    I'll call him tomorrow in the morning .
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post

I don't doubt the financial backing. At this point the money is certainly there.

I am sceptical towards Koenigsegg's ability to take on the new role. The figures now are much bigger and competition is hard. They are entering a completely new territory with Saab.

Sure hope they make it, as they have a tough job ahead.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    I don't doubt the financial backing. At this point the money is certainly there.

I am sceptical towards Koenigsegg's ability to take on the new role. The figures now are much bigger and competition is hard. They are entering a completely new territory with Saab.

Sure hope they make it, as they have a tough job ahead.
    It won't be easy, that's for sure.

But I have hope definitely. These days of economic globalisation and moar because moar a lateral thinking aproach may just do the trick.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information