Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feds Give Billions for Electric Cars

Best wave power untis developed now are interconnected floating tuibes with generators driven by the flexing of the units.
    The days of tethered units were dropped long time ago and it looks as if the shore based air chamber can't match the flexibility and efficiency of the "snakes".
    Scotland has some of the BEST eaves for wave power generation and a fwe prototypes up and running already.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    Yeah they don't really kick up dust, because its the wind moving them, they're not creating wind. Any dust being kicked up is because its windy.
    It's the turbulence caused by the wind blowing through them, not the fact that they act like fans which kicks up the dust. Many of the places here where the wind farms can produce the most power there are dust issues, which the wind farms have been shown to exacerbate.

I tried and failed to find an article I read a while ago on tidal generators and how they're hoping to be able to use them to completely eliminate reliance on coal burning plants on the east coast. Geothermal generators seem to be pretty cool, too, but I haven't heard much about their use aside from Gore finally cleaning up his house using them, in part.

Edit: Any thoughts on what china could use? The dense population and the rate that they're industrializing poses some unique problems and I don't think a ton of enormous hydroelectric dams are the answer. The fact that they don't have as much money and tech to spend on the solution is kind of a problem, too.
    Last edited by wwgkd; 06-28-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    It's the turbulence caused by the wind blowing through them, not the fact that they act like fans which kicks up the dust. Many of the places here where the wind farms can produce the most power there are dust issues, which the wind farms have been shown to exacerbate.

I tried and failed to find an article I read a while ago on tidal generators and how they're hoping to be able to use them to completely eliminate reliance on coal burning plants on the east coast. Geothermal generators seem to be pretty cool, too, but I haven't heard much about their use aside from Gore finally cleaning up his house using them, in part.

Edit: Any thoughts on what china could use? The dense population and the rate that they're industrializing poses some unique problems and I don't think a ton of enormous hydroelectric dams are the answer. The fact that they don't have as much money and tech to spend on the solution is kind of a problem, too.
    China is going coal all the way. It's the cheapest way by far. Ironically, NY Times was saying that their clean coal technology is advancing faster than the US's coal technology because China is set on using coal as it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/wo...20china&st=cse

Besides, hydroelectric plants are expensive, and they might have been linked to last year's gigantic earthquake. It certainly makes sense that it could play a role. Of course, the officials there would deny it.

There are so many reasons why electric cars are not practical.

If we are so looking to failed old technology for answers, maybe we need to resurrect the Stanley Steamer.

Next, someone will get the bright idea to harness a horse to a buggy . . .
    If you choose to hang out with owls, it is wise to anticipate a certain amount of dead mice.

FYI, Tesla doesn't even have a group of proper chassis engineer or industrialization plan in place for this vehicle yet....Our manager was approached by them to head up a chassis R&D group for them to relocate to California(where they plan to have their operation, Santa Barbara I think it is). Seeing the amount of knowhow and expertise available at Detroit area, and the much lower cost of living, you'd think they would have the foresight to move here....

Again I question the wisdom in seeing Tesla has the goods to do this...just because they've built a 150K electric car doesn't mean they can do one mass produced for 50K...its like asking Rolls Royce to make a economy car...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I agree....Tesla getting a chunk of this money is ridiculous.....but then it isn't shocking considering other decisions from this administration.

California simply can't support battery powered cars because the grid and generating capacity are already at limits. On a hot day, there are brownouts all over California, what are we going to do when thousands of cars get plugged in?

And no, they won't just recharge at night. UC Davis just did a study showing that battery car drivers will recharge every time they park. So they will be recharging during the daytime too.

We can do so much better. Even students in Turkey can use a fuel cell to get 353 miles on a liter of fuel. Why can't we have that here? Crown makes a forklift with a fuel cell, there is a growing business corridor in Northern Ohio researching and manufacturing fuel cells. They are being tested on airplanes. Nissan and the UK have kicked off a program to build a hydrogen infrastructure there. And the German 212 class submarines (the Germans know a thing or two about subs) is using a fuel cell that allows the diesel-electric sub to recharge the batteries underwater, no snorkel.

Why do we want to waste time and money on battery toy cars?
    If you choose to hang out with owls, it is wise to anticipate a certain amount of dead mice.

Quote Originally Posted by oldjunk View Post
    Why do we want to waste time and money on battery toy cars?
    Government contracts... Think about the revenues to the state off car charging.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    This is interesting news. I'm however split on my opinion of the massive subsidization. I still think the "green" movement is somewhat of a con.
    Yes. I agree definitely very interesting news. I have also different opinion with regards to massive subsidization.
    http://best-tops-direct.com |http://4wheelonline.com/Fender_Flares.3212 | http://4wheelonline.com/Bushwacker_Fender_Flares.3170]Bushwacker

Thread Information