Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Neglegted forum ???

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    It's colder here actually, I just compared average temps for Edmonton and QC, and I live through winter rather well. Just find something that you like to pass the time, I play ice hockey. I will try snowboard too in the near future. Handbrake shenanigans on snowy and/or icy parking lots do help too.

The only problem I've got with winter is that it is too long, at the end of February the lack of sunlight does hit my happiness a bit, but nothing a solar lamp can't cure. Otherwise I ain't too depressed.

I remember once I had to walk at -46C to school and back, that's about an 1 km walk, and the wind was so strong it made my eyes dry and cry, and my tears froze halfway on my cheeks. I hadn't listened to the radio that morning which issued warnings no to go outside and that all schools were closed.

Also, total snowfall in QC in 2008 was 558 cm, or 18 feet. A record high, no need to mention. Still very impressive. Phuck shoveling.
    Whoa. -46C? I was in Quebec for about 3 days- school trip. People don't bother shoveling at all.

That was the most amazing school trip, btw. Too bad this year, my high school went to France instead. Graduating ftl.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Whoa. -46C? I was in Quebec for about 3 days- school trip. People don't bother shoveling at all.

That was the most amazing school trip, btw. Too bad this year, my high school went to France instead. Graduating ftl.
    i'd rather go to France than Quebec. the Quebeckers are always trying to seperate from the rest of Canada when it isn't reallistically possible.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    i'd rather go to France than Quebec. the Quebeckers are always trying to seperate from the rest of Canada when it isn't reallistically possible.
    Wow, generalization much.

The referendum failed twice if you don't know.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

There was a smiley there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    There was a smiley there.
    I do not condone smileys.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Wow, that's not a nice thing to say. I mean, even though it was just 3 days, I still thought the city was amazing.

And to be honest, Quebec isn't the only place to try and succeed. Staten Island and Long Island, both in NY have always tried to leave NY state, and failing of course.

I honestly liked Quebec a lot. Don't worry.

Maybe because I missed snow a little too much. Perhaps it was the touristy part of the area, but people were really cordial with me. Even when I butchered my French. I don't know if the same would happen if I were in France- they may hate me for that.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    sorry. i really need to watch what i say. i really shouldn't of said that. i should know better than that. nobodies perfect. total ignorance. and again, i apologize.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Look guys, I edited the post because I didn't want to get into the name calling game. Whoever thinks the hat fits can put it on. Plus, it doesn't matter. The simple fact of the matter is, the forums have been a lot on the off-topic side lately and that's what matters.
    The problem I've been having is the amount of inane and basically content-less posts of late. Now I will admit to posting my fair share of throwaway one-liners, but I do try to make the occasional substantive post. I have no problem with having humor on UCP. I've laughed just as much at the Aussies' nutty antics and "Fiset's sister" jokes as anybody. These idiosyncrasies are what gives the forum character, and one of the reasons I spend way too much time on here. But, there comes a point in which humor gets in the way (something along the lines of the saying; "It's offensive only if ain't funny"). If there is a thread created about a certain car I usually want to talk about that car, the occasional crack is fine and off-topicness is too as long as it pertains somewhat to the subject at hand. I guess that sounds a little paradoxical, but what I mean is that we shouldn't stray too far from cars, driving, racing, etc... in the more structured parts of UCP. There are, of course, some golden moments that go completely against this rule, so I cannot really make a blanket statement, but I don't think that "humor" need be as present as it is now.

It seems that even though the fori are busier than they were a few months back, the quality of posts has gone down enough to negate any of the bonuses of the increased activity. It isn't just humor where it shouldn't be, though. Even in many of the "serious" threads there are many posts that are simply pointless. Again, I'm not innocent, I have posted questions that I could have found thorough answers to on Google just as easily, but instead posted them here because I was lazy. And yes, there is such thing as a stupid question (or possibly inquisitive idiots) and I have asked many of them/ been one. I am also not saying that questions with answers can be found elsewhere shouldn't be asked. Especially if the member one is asking has some sort of direct connection to the subject at hand, I would say use UCP to its fullest and exploit the international knowledge base the we have accrued on here.

Though I've had my fair share of vacuous posts, I would like to think that I still contribute something to the fori and have gotten better than the post-whoring smiley-overdosing member that I was for the first few months ofter joining. So I'm not saying "leave" to anybody who might be guilty of the aforementioned things, all I'm saying is try to improve.

The miscellaneous threads are pretty much fair game for anything, so if you are going to be off-topic from the outset, go there. But, even there try to at least post a full goddamn joke, there is almost no need for an affirmation of reading somebody else's post and thinking it was funny and/or agreeing with it unless it was massively funny or you explain why you agree with it.

I realize I've come off as a bit of a prude in this rant, but hopefully you guys can see that I am just a little pissed off and not a fun-hating bastard.
    Rant over.
    Oh, yeah. I'm talking about you, Kitdy.
    Now get over it and back on topic please.
    I thread-hopped the quote to a more appropriate place. Hopefully the hijack of the awards thread is over.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I couldn't agree more.

I just think it's a shame the two most active threads nowadays both start with "Random" in their names.

A while ago I had an argument with henk over off-topic and random posts, I said I didn't mind them because having fun is an important thing in life and it's also important here, but I also mentioned the key is balance. And now we haven't got a good balance between off and on topic posts. And I don't like it. In fact it pisses me off.

Hence why I have been a bit grumpy in my recent posts.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

In a way, I agree with you guys- quality has gone down a bit, but that's the way the forum is headed. We can't really do anything about it.

I couldn't agree more.

I just think it's a shame the two most active threads nowadays both start with "Random" in their names.

A while ago I had an argument with henk over off-topic and random posts, I said I didn't mind them because having fun is an important thing in life and it's also important here, but I also mentioned the key is balance. And now we haven't got a good balance between off and on topic posts. And I don't like it. In fact it pisses me off.

Hence why I have been a bit grumpy in my recent posts.
    The Technical Questions Thread is a little like a random questions thread for technical things. So it is a high quality "random" thread. Random doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing automatically.

I think the issue really is the slowing economy- no new cars/interesting ones coming out, so the forum slows down and concentrates with off topic material. When there's no car stuff to talk about what do you want us to talk about?

Add the fact that we have lost a lot of old members, it's bound to happen. LandQuail was quite entertaining, but we've seem to have lost him, along with Asif and many others.

It's alright, I don't think it's something we can do anything about.

I'm guilty of posting a lot in the two 'random' threads but I don't think that's much of an issue as long as it's contained in there. As long as we keep it civilized elsewhere and boost the amount of quality in the automotive sections we'll be alright.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

How about a daily post-cap for those who post over 12.10 times a day?

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    How about a daily post-cap for those who post over 12.10 times a day?
    Nah, when I used to run the photo/Gran Turismo comps or the Awards threads I could easily crank out 30+ posts that day
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Nah, when I used to run the photo/Gran Turismo comps or the Awards threads I could easily crank out 30+ posts that day
    Nah man, the post-cap won't be for us.

We've got the power.

The post-cap would be for mortals.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

If you visit any car specific forum the number of off topic posts and random talk is way more than what UCP sees. Think of an automotive forum the same way you do car meets. You have the people that are die hards that chit chat about cars all day long and are usually very smart and somewhat dull, the fun guys that joke around and usually start the burnout competition and purge their nitrous into the sky but can still turn their own wrench, and the folks that do both at the same time. In the end though they are all their for the love of cars and camaraderie.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information