Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP Delivered

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Congrats, Fleet.
    The interior is very nicely laid out and I'm glad Plymouth avoided using a strip speedometer.
    I, too, prefer the traditional type of speedo.

Note the wide brake and accelerator pedals? I also did like wide ones; I find skinny pedals harder to control.

Here are some photos I took today of the engine. I like a wide engine bay! The valve covers will be repainted (by me) eventually. In the correct original color.

And one photo of the luggage compartment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

See what I meant about the Merc comment Fleet ?

By making out it was going to be $500 and THEN getting defensive to show the MOPAR part was cheapr than the $40 someone pointed out they coudl get an M-B one for you're confusin the point MASSIVELY.

It is NOT $500 as you claimed, that is all that anyone was interested in correcting in the fantasy.
    NOT the details of how much one actually costs.
    They're clearly in the same ballpark and so the comment was pointless and HAS led to a typical anal analysis of a detil that's irrelevant.

So please folks, drop the Merc price debate, it'll just descend into a dark palce we've been before

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    See what I meant about the Merc comment Fleet ?

By making out it was going to be $500 and THEN getting defensive to show the MOPAR part was cheapr than the $40 someone pointed out they coudl get an M-B one for you're confusin the point MASSIVELY.

It is NOT $500 as you claimed, that is all that anyone was interested in correcting in the fantasy.
    NOT the details of how much one actually costs.
    They're clearly in the same ballpark and so the comment was pointless and HAS led to a typical anal analysis of a detil that's irrelevant.

So please folks, drop the Merc price debate, it'll just descend into a dark palce we've been before
    I meant $500 for recent Mercedes, not '80s or '90s.

If you go to that carsurvey site, you will see how much parts cost for Mercedes

The cost of a Mercedes from one owner:
    A/C blower unit... $1,000

Window motors... $471 each

Climate control fan speed regulator... $846

Automatic transmission work... $3650 plus labor

3 various oil seals including rocker cover... $521

Total for all work done excluding trans... $2800

WHy haven't you dropped this already ?

After all do you really think we believe you compared an old car part with a new car part ? NO WAY. We all know what modern car parts cost and a lot of us know (as demonstrated by posts ) the price of old parts.

So I repeat the request/suggestion ... concetrate on the car adn not comparisons that are subjectuve and biased lacking facts.

PS: Lincoln/Ford air con compressr repalcemtn here is £600 ... check out the exchange rate and the Merc price is in the same ballpark. So in reality your friend has an expensive car ( irrelevant it's a Merc or a Ford )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-02-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    WHy haven't you dropped this already ?

After all do you really think we believe you compared an old car part with a new car part ? NO WAY. We all know what modern car parts cost and a lot of us know (as demonstrated by posts ) the price of old parts.

So I repeat the request/suggestion ... concetrate on the car adn not comparisons that are subjectuve and biased lacking facts.

PS: Lincoln/Ford air con compressr repalcemtn here is £600 ... check out the exchange rate and the Merc price is in the same ballpark. So in reality your friend has an expensive car ( irrelevant it's a Merc or a Ford )
    Maybe we should compare these to modern Plymouth parts prices.

Oh no, wait... we can't.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

Oh no, wait... we can't.
    That was as Rick James/Dave Chappelle woulda said: coldblooded!

This silly argument should stop.

Sometimes it's not worth arguing - especially with people from the other side of the world you have never met.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

Sometimes it's not worth arguing - especially with people from the other side of the world you have never met.
    And in anycase it's not like we buy cars because the parts are cheap or expensive...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You obviously have not grasped the concept of the internet.

But, I do agree. Matra, I doubt you will sway Fleet and Fleet, I doubt you will sway Matra. This argument will undoubtedly traverse many other nooks and crannies as the two of you, with occasional support from the peanut gallery, stray further and further from the topic at hand.

Some of us are more interested in the classic automobile.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

+1

The Plymouth is a great-looking car, it looks like its in fantastic unmolested condition. A light machine buff with some fine glaze and a decent licking of polish and a coat of carnuba should really bring it up nicely!

US cars are rather plentiful here in Oz, but for the most part we suffer the usual run of Mustangs, Corvettes and Camaros, so I really enjoy seeing rarer classics, especially ones that are not restored. There's a certain air of charm to cars that have not been reborn via way of modern restoration methods and are pretty much as intended when they left the factory. I'm glad to hear that Fleet won't be lowering it or painting it, but it certainly seems like the engine bay needs some minor cosmetic work and a bit of cleaning (as does the interior).

Fantastic car. Keep us informed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    When the delivery driver was ready to take it off the trailer, it wouldn't start!
    11 hours later...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    This Plymouth does seem to be reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    11 hours later...

If it didn't start on a weekly basis, it would not be reliable.

But a one-time thing, like a starter solenoid (which could be replaced in about 15 minutes) hardly makes a car unreliable. And who knows how old that starter solenoid was? Probably 20 years or so.

I do remember the fuel pump in my '66 Dart being replaced in 1990 and I owned that car starting in 1979 so it was at least 11 years old.

Let's just say that, in general, parts for a '60s Plymouth or similar American car, cost a lot less than parts for a '90s or later Mercedes. Not going by ebay but by what shops and auto part stores charge.

Quote Originally Posted by AERO_HDT View Post
    +1

The Plymouth is a great-looking car, it looks like its in fantastic unmolested condition. A light machine buff with some fine glaze and a decent licking of polish and a coat of carnuba should really bring it up nicely!
    Glad you like it. Yes, I think it looks best as it was originally made. I was thinking about buffing it, too. Also my '76 limo which could really use a good buffing session.

US cars are rather plentiful here in Oz, but for the most part we suffer the usual run of Mustangs, Corvettes and Camaros, so I really enjoy seeing rarer classics, especially ones that are not restored. There's a certain air of charm to cars that have not been reborn via way of modern restoration methods and are pretty much as intended when they left the factory. I'm glad to hear that Fleet won't be lowering it or painting it, but it certainly seems like the engine bay needs some minor cosmetic work and a bit of cleaning (as does the interior).
    Yep, as the saying goes, they are only original once.

Fantastic car. Keep us informed!
    Thanks. I will do a youtube video so the engine and exhaust sounds can be heard. When I first started it up, it sounded on the loud side, but I am used to quiet Cadillacs and Lincolns so maybe that was why. But with a Mopar, I wnat to hear some engine sounds anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

Oh no, wait... we can't.
    You could compare a 2001 or 2000... those are kind of modern.

Thread Information