Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 Fashion Faux Pas for Cars

I will add the increase in badge sizes. It's as if the companies need you to know that good looking (or far to often bad looking) car is a X for 200 yards away!

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I will add the increase in badge sizes. It's as if the companies need you to know that good looking (or far to often bad looking) car is a X for 200 yards away!
    That is probably because many times, you wouldnt know what you are actually looking at until you see a badge.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    That is probably because many times, you wouldnt know what you are actually looking at until you see a badge.
    generic isn't always a bad thing, i don't like how some of the makers try very hard to make their cars unique, like audi's grill. Audis were generically good looking, and now they're uniquely ugly

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    generic isn't always a bad thing, i don't like how some of the makers try very hard to make their cars unique, like audi's grill. Audis were generically good looking, and now they're uniquely ugly
    I don't think Audis were generic. At least most European cars weren't. All had their traits and attributes.

German car were usually subtle and restrained, they gave an apperance of quality. Italian cars used to be quite flamboyant and stylish, usually beautiful. French cars were innovative and quirky and that showed in their designs.

Not that many years ago you could recognise almost any cars looking at its shape. Jags for instance had this very characteristic long and low profile. Or Saabs had hatchabcks and practical designs.

But now all cars looks about the same. And as you say they only know to make them different by making them ugly. Or by taking them mainstream, like the latest Jags. Why do they have to forget their heritage? Why not modernise it, instead of forgetting it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yeah, weight and larger cars would be the major one. The stupid body kits is a blatantly obvious thing that they missed.

I would also include high beltlines and smaller and smaller greenhouses. What's wrong with glass on a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't think Audis were generic. At least most European cars weren't. All had their traits and attributes.

German car were usually subtle and restrained, they gave an apperance of quality. Italian cars used to be quite flamboyant and stylish, usually beautiful. French cars were innovative and quirky and that showed in their designs.

Not that many years ago you could recognise almost any cars looking at its shape. Jags for instance had this very characteristic long and low profile. Or Saabs had hatchabcks and practical designs.

But now all cars looks about the same. And as you say they only know to make them different by making them ugly. Or by taking them mainstream, like the latest Jags. Why do they have to forget their heritage? Why not modernise it, instead of forgetting it?
    The world used to be a more inspirational place. Now all the companies are run by the corporate mentality, everybody cares only about the bottom line, and many of the things that traditionally inspired artists and designers for years and made cars from different countries unique (nature, art, culture, innovation) are being homogenized and forgotten by everyone in favor of less fulfilling short term gratification. The automakers don't think heritage is important because nobody else cares about it either. They're just echoing the mentalities of the masses.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    I wonder how cars would actually be if the industry was run by car enthusiasts.
    Ferrer, your a genious.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

I wonder how cars would actually be if the industry was run by car enthusiasts.
    There'd probably be a lot of sports cars that wouldn't sell very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This. Everyone would make their dream cars and no one else would like them. Plus they'd all probably cost way too much so you'd have people saying "but this car has the same options for less money."

Car enthusiasts are a minority and what they like wouldn't be acceptable to the masses. I talked to a girl recently about cars and she said she liked them. So I asked her what her favorite car was and she said "Any euro car." Like a Fiat 500 or a BMW 3 series or a Ferrari Enzo? No, any euro car, didn't even know their names. That's what passes for car enthusiasm for half the population. The other half thinks all car enthusiasts love every car shown on the fast and the furious.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Well not from me. And anyway we'd need a range of cars for different purposes.
    Visca Catalunya!

Most liekly end up with this ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    This. Everyone would make their dream cars and no one else would like them. Plus they'd all probably cost way too much so you'd have people saying "but this car has the same options for less money."

Car enthusiasts are a minority and what they like wouldn't be acceptable to the masses. I talked to a girl recently about cars and she said she liked them. So I asked her what her favorite car was and she said "Any euro car." Like a Fiat 500 or a BMW 3 series or a Ferrari Enzo? No, any euro car, didn't even know their names. That's what passes for car enthusiasm for half the population. The other half thinks all car enthusiasts love every car shown on the fast and the furious.
    You would have Mitsubishi and to a lesser degree Mazda. Mitsubishi was one of the leaders in technology. They did direct injection and AWD before most. They were happy to twin turbo this and AWD a sedan there and digidash when ever possible.

Unlike Toyota and Honda, they didn't concentrate on making good, simple, quality mainstream cars that get the little things right at a reasonable price. In the end Toyota and Honda have done well, Mitsubishi is in terrible shape. Ironically about the only thing they are doing well in is, the high tech AWD Evo.

You would have Mitsubishi and to a lesser degree Mazda. Mitsubishi was one of the leaders in technology. They did direct injection and AWD before most. They were happy to twin turbo this and AWD a sedan there and digidash when ever possible.

Unlike Toyota and Honda, they didn't concentrate on making good, simple, quality mainstream cars that get the little things right at a reasonable price. In the end Toyota and Honda have done well, Mitsubishi is in terrible shape. Ironically about the only thing they are doing well in is, the high tech AWD Evo.
    Disagree, Honda was one of the most engineering led car companies. They hay have the reputation of making cheap, reliable cars, but unlike most other japanese manufacturers they really put interest in the engineering solutions applied to their cars.

Other petrol head companies included Lancia, Citroën or Subaru in my opinion. And they aren't exactly known for their sportscars. So yes, there are many car enthusiasts that like sportscars, and performance and hardcoreness, but there's so much more it than just that.
    Visca Catalunya!

This..

Disagree, Honda was one of the most engineering led car companies. They hay have the reputation of making cheap, reliable cars, but unlike most other japanese manufacturers they really put interest in the engineering solutions applied to their cars.

Other petrol head companies included Lancia, Citroën or Subaru in my opinion. And they aren't exactly known for their sportscars. So yes, there are many car enthusiasts that like sportscars, and performance and hardcoreness, but there's so much more it than just that.
    And that.. companies that have great niches.. but have failed to engauge the mainstream... Give me family brilliance and sporty greatness. I'm drunk, but check my avatar..

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I'm drunk, but check my avatar..
    I ask the population of UCP - what is better than being drunk whilst reading the wise words of wisdom that this website contains?

Perhaps nothing.

Thread Information