Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GTR Spec V 1/4 mile time!!

I have grown to like it too, especially because of the negative reactions it generates in certain circles.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I have grown to like it too, especially because of the negative reactions it generates in certain circles.
    That's what happened to me to, i was allways kind of bafled of how ppl keep comparing it to cars it has almost nothing in common, specially price.

11.3 is a great time for such a heavy car, electronics really came a long way.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    That's what happened to me to, i was allways kind of bafled of how ppl keep comparing it to cars it has almost nothing in common, specially price.

11.3 is a great time for such a heavy car, electronics really came a long way.
    But it still costs a bit less then 200 large. Honestly, I know its a track car but people with two hundred grand are going to buy GT2s and Gallardos and 430s and stuff. They can't just get a $200,000 Nissan. It sounds wrong. Especially if the owner isn't intent on using it on track. Then its really useless and goofy.
    It also defiantly leaves the driver wanting more (Standard GTR, I can't speak for the Spec-V). I've never driven one, but I spend almost every weekend in the summer either racing or shooting at the track. Guys talk and verdict is in. Its not responsive enough or light enough for novices to be competitive and I have yet to meet any real fast drivers with a GTR but if I do, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    But it still costs a bit less then 200 large. Honestly, I know its a track car but people with two hundred grand are going to buy GT2s and Gallardos and 430s and stuff. They can't just get a $200,000 Nissan. It sounds wrong. Especially if the owner isn't intent on using it on track. Then its really useless and goofy.
    It also defiantly leaves the driver wanting more (Standard GTR, I can't speak for the Spec-V). I've never driven one, but I spend almost every weekend in the summer either racing or shooting at the track. Guys talk and verdict is in. Its not responsive enough or light enough for novices to be competitive and I have yet to meet any real fast drivers with a GTR but if I do, I'll let you know.
    That's what i think to, i see the Nissan as a great GT, never a track car, the fact that at the very limit it can keep up with more track focused machines it's a real achievment but not what the real nature of the car is about.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Whats the ZR1 do again? Oh right 11.2@ 130.5.
    And how much more horsepower does it have? Oh right, 120 more.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    That's what i think to, i see the Nissan as a great GT, never a track car, the fact that at the very limit it can keep up with more track focused machines it's a real achievment but not what the real nature of the car is about.
    It may be a stretch to say "never" a track car, even the standard GTR is a fine track car. I'm just saying that most people I race amongst are minimalists who drive minimalist cars minus the maximus prices The GTR-V still is really none of those. Except expensive.

A lot of these are probably going to go to collectors in its home market where the GT-R (or Skyline) name has been significant for decades. The badge carries much more cachet there than it does in the States. For many of these people, it won't be the only car; for them it's not a matter of GT2/Gallardo/F430 or Spec-V. If it's good on the road and can still carry 4 people and a decent amount of luggage, then it's still useful IMO.

Give it time. The GT-R is still considered new in the US market. Just because you personally have not met these drivers does not mean they are not out there. The guys that you talk to sound quite a bit different from owners I've heard who are quite blown away by the GT-R. It's not a track car in the sense of a GT3 or F430, but you can find plenty of videos on youtube, streetfire, vidler, vimeo, etc of pretty fast GT-R drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
    Give it time. The GT-R is still considered new in the US market. Just because you personally have not met these drivers does not mean they are not out there. The guys that you talk to sound quite a bit different from owners I've heard who are quite blown away by the GT-R. It's not a track car in the sense of a GT3 or F430, but you can find plenty of videos on youtube, streetfire, vidler, vimeo, etc of pretty fast GT-R drivers.
    K, that last part nulls your point, driving fast and being fast are too different things. Most of those videos are of guys driving fast on the street (like a-holes), I have yet to see the GTR blow anyone away on track and Ive seen 4 to be exact.

Many of the guys I'm thinking of drive at the top levels of amateur racing and lower pro tiers such as Grand-am.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    And how much more horsepower does it have? Oh right, 120 more.
    + it weighs 500lbs less.... but let's all be proud that it is .1 second faster

Aren't these figures just there to make the kids and adults who act like kids tighten in the pants? Like it really matters.

K, that last part nulls your point, driving fast and being fast are too different things. Most of those videos are of guys driving fast on the street (like a-holes), I have yet to see the GTR blow anyone away on track and Ive seen 4 to be exact.

Many of the guys I'm thinking of drive at the top levels of amateur racing and lower pro tiers such as Grand-am.
    None of those videos I'm talking about has anything to do with street racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    one very simple word .... TORQUE.

The SpecV looks to be about about 25% more than the 430 Scud.
    and it's peak is at 3200 rpm .... so the launch control is right on the button !

Torque provides the acceleration, power the top speed
    It must suck driving an RX-8 then...

I kid, I kid...

Anyways I have always thought that the GT-R's disproportionate acceleration (compared to other cars with similar power) was due to the combination of its smart AWD system, dual clutch transmission, excellent power curve, and good aerodynamics.

Apparently the V-Spec is somewhat lighter and makes just a few more ponies so it is expected to be just a little faster than the original R35 which clocks a 1/4 mile in 11.5@120mph.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

yeah, you have to really work the RX-8 to get the acceleration , but rest assure the first corner and all the drawbacks disapper I'm used to being woudn up about it

Not so much the aero for accelration, but all the smarts which allows them to adjust torque to the wheel that is getting most grip WITHOUT having to cut engine power ... the BIG failing in the RX-8 and why for launches ... turn the smarts off

Matra you're such a Rex fanboy.

I love it.

Not really ... hoest and realistic
    Like I said above it's DSC is awful for track and serious driving.
    Great for keeping the driver safe, but way too ovr-protective if wanting to drive it in a spirited fashion. Other cars do it better ( and some worse )
    You want to hear some of THE fanboys !!
    They're more work to "get under control" than anyone trying to do a windup for sure.
    Back at KNockhill for 3rd time this year and we've arranged another 3 for RX-8 club members in co-ordination with MSCC.
    CHeck out the last one Monklands Sporting Car Club Trackday
    Been winding up mate in the 944 comparing the lean of his compared to the VW camper van ..... it DID have serious suspension mods and the engine was uprated -- OK, till didn't make it THAT fast, but was neat to see the guy give it 10/10ths

Thread Information