Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small car

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    Unfortunately we didn't get to look at cars today, weather is too bad here atm...

Bikes are just not realistic for us lol. My mother seems to have a phobia for those things, and if I really wanted to bike, I already have a very good road bike. Good for exercise, and even more economical

Honestly though, I'm really keen on the Fiesta... almost completely have my mind set on it. Because we can only drive auto, it's only available with a 1.4 Lt engine. Might test drive it next week, unless they contact us earlier.

We still need to check out the Polo though. Conveniently, there is a VW showroom next to the Fiesta showroom. So we might accidently go wonder there one day
    wut
    serious
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I was going to suggest 2, Swift, iQ and Panda.

But auto only? In a small car? Come on...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

only auto?!

get this:

mechanics generally from scooters
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Hello fellow forumites,

We have a Saab 9-5 SE from 1999,

-We can't afford to run and maintain the Saaab (we recently had one fog light replaced at $600 NZDs.)
    -fuel cost is too high, I think it's close to $200 NZDs per filling.
    -I'm a learner, and using that car to learn on is frankly too pompous and ridiculous. Also, insurance for an under 25 driving a car with a turbo is far too expensive.

The main reason is that the Saabs, despite having only done 23,000 kms in it's 10 year life span, is worth only around $10,000 NZDs now.

But for now, what do you guys think, and recommend?
    Here's what I think, re your quoted points (addressed from the top)

-That's an absurd price to pay for a 10 y/o fog light, severe rip-off! Would replacement parts for a new car neccesarily be any less?

-the SAAB fuel tank is 70 litres, with current NZ fuel price @ +- $1.80 per litre, meaning a typical 60 litre refill costs your Mum NZ$108.

-Personal opinion for sure, but IMHO a learner-driver of a 10 y/o car appears no more pompous or ridiculous to me, than the same learner in a fancy new car. Btw, turbo notwithstanding, have you checked the actual cost of insuring a valuable new 2009-model car worth $25k, against the 1999-model turbo SAAB worth (at best) $10k?

With only 23,000 kms of total useage, your SAAB should still be in excellent condition; I see same-era SAABs hereabouts with 10x that accrued mileage (representing 100 years of your to-date useage!) yet still in presentable condition and running ok.

Btw that average yearly mileage of 2,300 kms also represents a mere 5 petrol-tank refills per annum (!) which hints to me that your overall fuel costs have proven less costly than overall vehicle depreciation, and this expense would repeat in respect of a new-car purchase, incurring new-car depreciation.

Retaining your SAAB (in lieu of trading it out into a new Fiesta @ NZ$25k+) would immediately save your Mum well over NZ$15k.

All of the above leads me to recommend that she seriously crunch the numbers in regard to:

-price to insure a $25,000 car vs her $10,000 turbocar
    -hmm, would a new supermini prove to outlast a SAAB which has only 23,000 km on it? (see #1)
    -the potential savings in fuel of a supermini vs overall cost of new-car purchase (see #2)
    -the potential savings in fuel of a supermini vs new-car depreciation rates (see #3)

#1: Maybe, or maybe not .. for now let's call that a draw. Yes the 10 y/o SAAB will cost more in upkeep than a new car, but have you seen the typical service-costs from new-car dealerships - often not cheap either! The comparitive costs might be a lot closer than you first think, and therefore less of a factor in overall ownership costings.

Remember, depreciation is not just a 'hidden' cost but far & away the principal expense for new-car ownership.

#2: If you double the annual kms to 4,600 km (to represent two drivers using the one car) at current fuel prices this represents a yearly fuel-spend in the SAAB of around NZ$1,000. If you quadruple the annual kms your fuel-spend is still only $2,000.

A new supermini might use 50% less fuel than your existing SAAB, so naturally your cost to fuel a supermini would be half that of the SAAB. Even if your annual mileage will increase to double or even quadruple, the annual fuel savings of a supermini would only bring either $500 or $1,000 respectively.

#3: I'd wager that a brand-new $25k car will depreciate at least $5,000 just within the first 12 months, and still incur significant loss in value every year thereafter, for years to come.

Contrast this significant cost in depreciation, against the modest savings in fuel cost, as described above.

Not to mention the extra $15,000+ your Mum will have to fork out to buy that new supermini.
    Or that your existing SAAB from today can only ever depreciate $10k, even if you keep it for the next 40,000 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixed!

We can't afford to run and maintain the new supermini
    Last edited by nota; 07-12-2009 at 11:38 AM.

^
    what he said.
    because I'm speechless.
    Hail to the Koenigsegg!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    ^
    what he said.
    because I'm speechless.
    Hail to the Koenigsegg!
    Indeed. Hard to argue with that.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    stay away from the bolded ones
    seriously
    i've had a honda jazz for about a month now, thank god i have other cars to drive
    huh? can you explain those cars to me. i see nothing bad about the cars that you bolded. good mpg and all. its something you can't go wrong with these days...
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    huh? can you explain those cars to me. i see nothing bad about the cars that you bolded. good mpg and all. its something you can't go wrong with these days...
    there's nothing that's outright bad about them (except for the aveo; my GF has one) but there's nothing all that good either.
    the one thing i'll say for the jazz; with the CVT it's smooth.
    apart from that is that it handles worse than my mazda 323, is high, top heavy.
    so, so bland.
    the aveo is just crap. can't hear anything, barely tell when it's on if you have music playing, the flywheel appears to be made from lead, notchy gear box.

yaris is just mediocrity incarnate
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    there's nothing that's outright bad about them (except for the aveo; my GF has one) but there's nothing all that good either.
    the one thing i'll say for the jazz; with the CVT it's smooth.
    apart from that is that it handles worse than my mazda 323, is high, top heavy.
    so, so bland.
    the aveo is just crap. can't hear anything, barely tell when it's on if you have music playing, the flywheel appears to be made from lead, notchy gear box.

yaris is just mediocrity incarnate
    since you drive, i'll take your word for it!
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Nota, all I can say is... what a point.

What a point.

But anyway, I was driving the Saab today, and it really is a big car. I found it very hard to handle, and I think for a beginner, at least for me, it really isn't suitable. Also, in NZ, I believe the insurance companies charge you depending on the size of your car, not so much the age, and the value. They also stated that a car with a turbo, for an under 25 will cost more.

On the other hand, I was given the chance to test drive the Mazda 2, and it was surprisingly good to drive. The steering is very very light, and because it's so small, it's easy to handle, and parking is a breeze. Now, we just need to test the Fiesta.

But as nota said, we won't be saving very much by swapping cars. However, I think smaller cars are better for both of us. My mum is a terrible driver, and tbh, I've just been driving for a few months, so I'm not too good either, so I'm keen on something small and easy to deal with. Who knows we might not end up getting anything?
    Last edited by Roentgen; 07-13-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Maybe as she is a terrible driver (your words ) and you are just a learner, keeping an old car isn't a bad idea at all. Would you like even to have a small fender bender with your new and shiny Fiesta?
    I say no.

Maybe as she is a terrible driver (your words ) and you are just a learner, keeping an old car isn't a bad idea at all. Would you like even to have a small fender bender with your new and shiny Fiesta?
    I say no.
    Actually terrible isn't exactly the right word... not confident is more like it. Something small will surely be better. The Renault is actually quite a huge car.

I found something interesting. The Saab, weighs 1400 kgs. The Renault, despite it's smaller size, weighs in at a whopping 1630 kgs. That can't be good for fuel economy

Actually terrible isn't exactly the right word... not confident is more like it. Something small will surely be better. The Renault is actually quite a huge car.

I found something interesting. The Saab, weighs 1400 kgs. The Renault, despite it's smaller size, weighs in at a whopping 1630 kgs. That can't be good for fuel economy
    that's simply not possible.
    Both Megane from 1996 and 2002 weight about 1.200/1.300 k, just checked at carfolio.com

that's simply not possible.
    Both Megane from 1996 and 2002 weight about 1.200/1.300 k, just checked at carfolio.com
    Unfortunately, I have to say the website is wrong. I only found out the weight by looking at the official technical spec sheet by Renault themselves, found at the Renault press site. The specific model that I own weighs 1630 kgs. Are you sure you didn't look at the coupe version? Also, my one is automatic.
    Last edited by Roentgen; 07-13-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Unfortunately, I have to say the website is wrong. I only found out the weight by looking at the official technical spec sheet by Renault themselves, found at the Renault press site. The specific model that I own weighs 1630 kgs. Are you sure you didn't look at the coupe version? Also, my one is automatic.
    Are you sure you are not mixing up gross weight with kerb weight? Or even with dry weight?

Thread Information