Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Haha, when I saw Jeff Bridges drinking whiskey in Iron Man I almost shat myself. WTF is he doing drinking anything other than a white russian?
    want to talk about the tie?!
    I mean, he surely missed two things: a carpet to follow, and the right name, The Iron Dude.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

If only they'd thrown in Donny and Walter arguing somewhere in the background. I love those guys .

Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I saw the movie yesterday. First of all, as a big fan of the books and a 'follower' of the films I was pleasantly surprised by its change in pace and artistic direction. There was very little fantasy involved this time around. No monsters or trolls or mermaids. No talking paintings or ghosts in the hall. It felt almost as if hogwarts had lost budget. But in a way that you sometimes wished it had in previous films. The last few films have been noted as 'darker' than the early movies. More grown up. This is the film AFTER that has happened.

The movie is terribly short however. There are important scenes and dialogue that are either missed or criminally short. There is very important emphasis on the horcruxes in the book as the ultimate key to defeating lord voldemort. However in the movie, they dont spent enough time explaining that. And revealing the expeditions that dumbledore has been on while the school term has already started. His hand for example. Burnt and scarred whilst obtaining one of the first horcruxes. The quiddich match is about 30 seconds long. All the book is almost crammed into the first half of the movie without giving anybody the chance to take it in or really enjoy what is taking place. Then in the second part of the movie. We are confronted with alot of moments of silence and moments of no storyline commitment whatsoever. Which could have been valuably used for important parts of the book.

I've never liked the casting. And i still think that daniel R who plays potter doesnt even scratch the surface of the harry i have in my mind from the books. You almost wish in the movies that he was more interesting. Which in the books he IS. I enjoyed the movie for what it was. But i always considered this the vital turning point in the harry potter series. The point in which they really pursue voldemort and begin their war alone against the most dangeous evil forces in their world. I just wish the casting had been better when they made the first movie. As some of the actors arent cutting it as adults. And the directors of the movies are rarely showing any raw talent in terms of portraying the greatness of the books. As well as actually editing the movie effectively. For these reasons, I give the movie a 6/10.

that was my problem we discussed above. Cotterik, you 17 lines just explaining what's wrong with the movie...and then a 6/10?
    whatever, I don't want to re-open that discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    that was my problem we discussed above. Cotterik, you 17 lines just explaining what's wrong with the movie...and then a 6/10?
    whatever, I don't want to re-open that discussion.
    perhaps I only emphasised the criticisms I had. But as i said I did enjoy it. These are just my underlying criticisms. For example i would have given the last 2 movies a 7/10 because they better followed the storyline of the books etc. But for what the movies are WORTH it was still better than an average movie. Thats why i gave it a 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    perhaps I only emphasised the criticisms I had. But as i said I did enjoy it. These are just my underlying criticisms. For example i would have given the last 2 movies a 7/10 because they better followed the storyline of the books etc. But for what the movies are WORTH it was still better than an average movie. Thats why i gave it a 6.
    Gotcha.

I think there is something to be said for the fact that they are trying to crank out a new movie almost every year.........or every other year. That's too tight a schedule to stay on and still give each story the attention it deserves. But I know they are doing this to try and keep the actors as close to their character ages as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    you do recognize a padded bras right?
    I'm just saying. If I were still in high school or college..........I'd hit it.
    Last edited by ThisBlood147; 07-18-2009 at 11:28 AM.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    I think there is something to be said for the fact that they are trying to crank out a new movie almost every year.........or every other year. That's too tight a schedule to stay on and still give each story the attention it deserves. But I know they are doing this to try and keep the actors as close to their character ages as possible.

I'm not so sure its to keep with their ages. Makeup and computers do wonders in regards to that. Whatever reasons they have, its unfortunate, because a little more effort in including as much of the story as possible would have made a difference like night and day.

the technical players change every time or so though, and no one is forcing them on this schedule

more likely, yes.

I think there is something to be said for the fact that they are trying to crank out a new movie almost every year.......
    they're the EA of hollywood!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    they're the EA of hollywood!
    Like you really care, all your victi... Girlfriends love Harry Potter
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

come on ballz, some of us happen to be very sensitive about the personal opinions of our victi...girlfriends. *coughs* brb, I've just got to tend to a banging noise coming from underneath one of my floorboards.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Like you really care, all your victi... Girlfriends love Harry Potter
    i..cannot refute this, just this friday i almost got dragged along to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    come on ballz, some of us happen to be very sensitive about the personal opinions of our victi...girlfriends. *coughs* brb, I've just got to tend to a banging noise coming from underneath one of my floorboards.
    chloroform. use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    I'm not so sure its to keep with their ages. Makeup and computers do wonders in regards to that. Whatever reasons they have, its unfortunate, because a little more effort in including as much of the story as possible would have made a difference like night and day.
    Well if it's any consolation, I heard they are doing the final book as a two part film instead of just one. I guess someone figured out they'd better not eff up and shortcut the finale.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Thread Information