Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type17's 3000GT VR4

Type17's 3000GT VR4

Hey guys! This is my car. It's a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 with 130,000kms on the body and 50,000kms on the engine. This is what's done to it.

Interior
    - Shift knob (dad got it for me one day)
    - AEM Wideband O2 Sensor and Gauge
    - Prosport Motorsports Boost Gauge
    - Prosport Motorsports Dual A pillar Gauge Pod

Exterior
    - Monza Red Paint (original paint)
    - Mitsubishi lettering on front brake calipers is painted red

Engine and Exhaust
    - 1996 Mitsubishi GTO TT engine
    - AEM EMS (stand alone engine management system) with MAP and AIT (got rid of the stock air box and MAS)
    - Dejon Pre Turbo Intake pipes with K&N Filters
    - EGR Delete with 3SX Block off Plates.
    - Vac Line Reduction
    - SB Manual Boost Controller (currently at 14psi)
    - Aftermarket Y pipe
    - Full custom 3inch exhaust including Down Pipe and High Flow Cat.
    - AEM Wideband 02
    - Spec Stage 4+ Clutch and Pressure Plate
    - Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
    - Greddy Type S BOV running open atmosphere
    - Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Suspension, Wheels, Tires and Brakes
    - Tenzo Tenspec 18'' rims (black with red outer rim)
    - Falken FK-452 245/45/R18

I'm saving up currently to upgrade to a front mounted intercooler with RC 750cc injectors and twin TD04HL-19T turbos. Shooting for 450awhp, give or take. All other supporting mods are covered.

I don't have a digital cam but I'll be Egg Nogging this tonight with my cellphone cam .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Type17; 07-18-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Forgot some mods
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

At the time of photos I was running Pirelli PZero Nero M+S 235/40/R18 W rated tires but despite being a good tire, I found the rear end liked to skip around under hard cornering. I only rode on the Pirellis for 2 weeks or so and I upgraded to Falken FK-452 245/45/R18 Y rated tires which I find give much much more grip, are far more comfortable to ride on, AND they filled up a lot of the huge gap in my wheel well.

I tried to avoid lowering but meh... If I find the car sits too high I'll buy a set of Tein S-Tech springs.

PS. Anyone want more pics? I have some with a friend with a fully built TSi AWD which I'm sure would make some mouths water :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    PS. Anyone want more pics? I have some with a friend with a fully built TSi AWD which I'm sure would make some mouths water :P.
    Yes please.

I always liked the 3kGT despite it being a little too massive. Maybe it's the late '80s-'90s Nipponese nuttiness that I am attracted to.
    Good luck with further mods.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Action pics would be great too, if you can supply those.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    It looks good, I like it. Being a '92 does it still have all the electronic bells and whistles like adjustable front splitter?
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

That's a really nice car. I remember when I had my Jetta in early '07, I was tempted at an opportunity to trade a guy for his newer Mits GTO, like the one in your avatar. I decided against it because I didn't know enough about cars at the time and felt uneasy about letting my reliable MKIV go. I did get a chance to test drive it though, and it put one hell of a smile on my face . Congrats on a good car.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    It looks good, I like it. Being a '92 does it still have all the electronic bells and whistles like adjustable front splitter?
    Yeah it does still have everything. The active aero (moving air dam and spoiler) are there. Had some issues with them but they're fixed now.

The electronically controlled suspension is there as well and it works great, never had a problem with it but it's a common thing to go on 3000GTs. If it goes wrong it just gets stuck in Sport Mode. Just tough if you just want a comfortable ride.

It also had active exhaust but the previous owner pulled that out (the little motor is still there and works, just the actual part in the exhaust is gone). I also cut the wire to the ECU from the active exhaust since it glitches with AEM EMS and it tries to keep switching between settings and the noise is annoying, especially since it's constant.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob
    That's a really nice car. I remember when I had my Jetta in early '07, I was tempted at an opportunity to trade a guy for his newer Mits GTO, like the one in your avatar. I decided against it because I didn't know enough about cars at the time and felt uneasy about letting my reliable MKIV go. I did get a chance to test drive it though, and it put one hell of a smile on my face . Congrats on a good car.
    Thank you Rob, I'm glad you liked it. A lot of people have a lot of smack to talk about this car. It does have it's issues but it's a great car IMO. And if it was going to be your only car, you did good for passing up on it, the GTO TTs aren't very reliable, the N/As on the other hand are borderline indestructible if properly maintained, especially the SOHC model.

Huge picture dump in the morning btw, get ready. I'll post some pics up from a local car show we attended as well. And a couple of highway action shots. And the Egg Nogg test.

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    Huge picture dump in the morning btw, get ready. I'll post some pics up from a local car show we attended as well. And a couple of highway action shots. And the Egg Nogg test.
    I'm not too picky about the eggnogg test. As far as I'm concerned, if you aren't claiming to own an Italian exotic or possibly other very high end car, and you don't deliberately misspell words or substitute the letter "a" at the end of a word that would otherwise be spelled with "er", none of us should be too concerned about anyone lying about their ownership of a given vehicle. I believe you .

That's a clean VR-4. My buddy used to have one, as heavy as they are, they're incredibly quick. I'd be afraid of owning one, but I am in fact a fan.

As promised, pic dump:

-action shots

- Street Impressions car show:

- moar Street Impressions:

- 3000GT VR4 & 1995 Talon TSi AWD

Spike (the Talon, that's what the previous owner called it and the name stuck) has a huge upgrade list... it's a track car built by Magnus Motorsports in Toronto for lapping. Everything in the car is upgraded, and it's by far the best handling, well rounded, and fastest car I've ever been in. It's also undergone some weight reduction though even as stock DSMs are pretty light.

It's outputting 460awhp and 360awtq on a rich tune (AEM EMS Managed as well).

I didn't resize the one huge pic in this post in case anyone wanted to see a bit into the hood, just zoom in.
    Last edited by Type17; 07-18-2009 at 12:23 PM.

More of Spike and the 3000GT.

Nice showcase.
    From the look of these cars, I guess you can say that they separate the well-tuned from the riced-out; these guys seem to do more than cosmetic changes to their car. Very good.

Thread Information