Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type17's 3000GT VR4

- Egg Nogg:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

looks good, not a common car imo, always in the shadow of the skylines. makes it sorta oddball cool imo, every second import nut has a skyline haha.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    looks good, not a common car imo, always in the shadow of the skylines. makes it sorta oddball cool imo, every second import nut has a skyline haha.
    I'd bet a lot of money on there being more GTRs in Canada than 3000GTs...

As for it being in the GTR's shadow, yeah, I agree. Stock for stock I feel the Skyline is a better car, in handling at least, acceleration is the same I think. 3000GT just never got the support it deserved, only recently has there been a huge increase in support for the 3S platform. Five years back, having a TD04-15G setup was considered big, now there are TD06 type turbo 3000GTs, GT42 3000GTs, and the Evo 3 TD05-16G kit is a relatively affordable setup (kit goes for $2700 USD and includes everything except injectors, piggy back fuel system, fuel pump, and FMIC)

The platform is getting pushed further by the day. Just a couple of weeks ago the 600whp was passed on TD04 turbos.

I don't expect it to ever surpass the Skyline in recognition, and it'll never have it's reputation, but the platform definitely deserves more respect than what it currently gets.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    What I heard is its mainly because you can do a lot to the skyline engine and get a good return on investment, that block is very durable, but the 3000GT is not so much, and its rather hard to work on?
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    What I heard is its mainly because you can do a lot to the skyline engine and get a good return on investment, that block is very durable, but the 3000GT is not so much, and its rather hard to work on?
    It's not an easy car to work on until you get used to it, still easier than the 300ZX though which got much more support initially. Main issue is the tight space but again, you learn to make room :P.

At the time I suppose with the mods available for the 3000GT, it didn't respond as well to mods as the RB engines. I've never had an RB powered car, but I don't think today, getting power out of the 3000GT isn't much harder than getting power out of a GTR.

As for the block... yeah the block is weaker on the 3000GT, however it'll run 450-500whp relatively reliably with the proper tuning before you start needing pistons/rods/cams/crank/heads and so on and so forth. Not a weak block at all, just not Skyline powerful.

It's still not up to Skyline capability as the highest output 3000GT is a 1348whp VR4 built by Nelson Performance Pro while I understand there are GTRs nearing nearing 2000hp...

Pretty excessive if you as me but I won't criticize .
    Last edited by Type17; 07-25-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Looks pretty sweet...I love seeing car show pictures!
    http://www.coolmodifiedcars.com

Thread Information