Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UCP opinion on two wheels

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    People say a lot of stupid things. You don't drop your bike unless you're being careless. It also has a lot to do with what kind of bike you own. For example, a cheap old Asian bike you may get lazy on and not watch yourself while you lose your center of gravity, but not on a Ducati. I protected that thing with my life. I mean, I wasn't exactly brand new to 2 wheeling on public streets, as I've had multiple years of scooter experience, but a Duc weighs significantly more. There are no set rules when it comes to this sort of thing. People told me a lot of things to discourage me from attaining my dream. They also said that a 749 was much too big a bike for me, and that I should consider getting something much smaller to start off with. Apparently I would "kill" myself, or "lose control", or that I "wouldn't be able to handle it." All of this and plenty more garbage came out of peoples' mouths when I went into buying that bike. None of it applied to me. I can probably accredit that to my cautious nature, but you are in control of how you treat your motorcycle, not this fate crap that everyone dictates will happen to ALL first time riders. I may have only rode for one season, but in that season I put a solid 4000 km on that bike, and by the end of it I had a lot of what those same nay sayers would call "confidence." Its up to you, man.
    That's correct for whatever you own.
    Even those small scooters. it's common here to have one when you are 14 or so (so when you can actually drive one, now a stupid and useless license is required, didn't make any difference), and so all the kids have one. I got it a bit later than others, and so when I was on my second year (and I already had small accidents mainly due to the fact I was keeping riding it as if it wasa bike) ready for the big troubles, other started to ride less, other things happened, and I basically didn't ride it for a full year, but every week I was starting it and use it around the area just to keep it in order. I also cleaned the air filter and the spark plug during summer.
    Then I started using it again, a lot, and all at once the odometer was around the 20.000 km mark.
    I never got a single problem with it, while other friends which where still using it as a kids' bike were having issues since 10.000 km, changing parts (not only for "tuning") and servicing those small bitches.

I just loved my scooter, it was my first one and I was so protective over it I was feeling bad for it rather than for myself after the big accident, or evn for the carbonfiber helmet I got just since a few months and which has been cracked on my head-landing after an "high-side".

It's really up to each of us. There are people able to crack a car putting brakes cleaner in the engine after having put brake fluid instead of oil, and then perhaps your grandfather is still using his old NSU Printz as if it was brand new.

Both very true. Especially with the dirt biking thing. A full day on a dirt bike is equivalent to weeks of street riding as far as experience gained is concerned.
    well, that's like driving a car. The difference is that when you don't know what driving means you tend to kill other people, on a bike, only yourself (just yesterday a biker killed a pedestrian riding shotgun in downtown of a near town).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Both very true. Especially with the dirt biking thing. A full day on a dirt bike is equivalent to weeks of street riding as far as experience gained is concerned.
    Bike control experience maybe, but not looking out for idiots who don't see you and aren't looking where they're going. I just ride everywhere nice and cautiously.. and anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my L plates!

Always admired the speed and purity of bikes. but I don't think they're for me. not right now at least.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

lmfao . There I was, scrolling so eagerly to find out what sort of speed machine NSX drives haha.
    Haha, yeah, not many cars can touch the performance of a motorcycle. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    No more aware than you should be when driving. You become a much better driver after starting to ride.

There's very little in common between Buells and Hardleys. Even the Evo-powered XB models have had the engines modified into Buell's own spec. The new 1125 models have gone for a far, far more superior Rotax motor. Far more superior.
    True, you should be equally aware while driving, but still, the fact of the matter is that accidents still happen, and you'd still be more safe in a car.

Sorry, again, my writing is unclear. I didn't mean that Buells and Harleys are similar. I meant that the Harleys made today probably aren't as sport oriented as they used to be in the earlier days. Of course, I don't know anything about the history of the company, but it certainly feels like they're biased towards big cruisers than sport oriented bikes today.

Like Whiteballz said, I like simple machines. Cars have gotten heavier, more complex and more computer dependent than ever before. Bikes have too, but not to the extent that cars are. That's always cooler in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Like Whiteballz said, I like simple machines. Cars have gotten heavier, more complex and more computer dependent than ever before. Bikes have too, but not to the extent that cars are. That's always cooler in my opinion.
    I have no numbers to back this up, but I think that bikes have probably gotten lighter over the years. There hasn't been that much legislation about the need for saftey equipment on them and such, and lighter stronger materials are being developed.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

All the cars i own are classics....... and i also own a Laverda 1200 Mirage that i have bought in 1979 brand new. So i classify this as a classic. In South Africa there was only 200 sold.....wonder what hapenned to the rest????\
    Beautiful bike and perfect handling for such an oldie
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Bike control experience maybe, but not looking out for idiots who don't see you and aren't looking where they're going. I just ride everywhere nice and cautiously.. and anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my L plates!
    No, you definitely won't be looking out for many idiots in the woods or wherever people tend to dirt bike that isn't public. At the same time, that's not a skill you should have to master though. If you need to learn to keep your wits about you, you'd be safer off just taking a car. I consider awareness a part of common sense. It can be tweaked and sharpened, but not gained. The best thing you can do is just as you said, ride cautiously. Be defensive rather than offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Depends on where you ride. I've been out on the dunes in california and on a big weekend you really do have to watch out for other people from all directions. Much more stressful than on a street where you at least have an idea what direction they'll be coming from. I stopped going out on the dunes down there just because of the number of crazy and often drunk people blasting around at high speeds without being aware of who they might be heading towards. It gets crazy and people get killed there all the time.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

My $.02: Bikes are awesome. Bike racing is even more awesome.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOERYdqx51A"]YouTube - Motorcycle Racing in the Rain[/ame]
    Turning money into memories.

^ yeah, that's not bad .... but he's riding on an uber-smooth race circuit with lots of run off and gravel and air barriers.

See [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5MhbWeVUg"]YouTube - Isle of Man TT (slow motion)[/ame] for some fantastic 600 fps shots taken at this years TT. THESE are the racers who any road bike owner looks up to. Facing all but "on coming traffic" hazards we all face whilst AVERAGING over 131 mph !!

i did enjoy watching the historics go up mt coothat (see my thread)
    the mental little kawasaki, so so loud.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^ yeah, that's not bad .... but he's riding on an uber-smooth race circuit with lots of run off and gravel and air barriers.

See YouTube - Isle of Man TT (slow motion) for some fantastic 600 fps shots taken at this years TT. THESE are the racers who any road bike owner looks up to. Facing all but "on coming traffic" hazards we all face whilst AVERAGING over 131 mph !!
    Very true. If I ever tried that, even assuming I finished the race alive, my sphincter wouldn't unclench for the next 10 years. Love watching it though. Every time people tell me there is no racing more exciting that WRC I tell them to watch this. Mid-air passes on two wheeled machines for the win.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    And he's also done **** all since then. There's talk that neither Ten Kate or HRC are happy with his performances this year.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information