Thread: Volunteering for the Edmonton Indy

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.

Volunteering for the Edmonton Indy

im volunteering for the Indy in my city. im going to do the gates and checking tickets and stuff. aren't i fun?
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

sounds cool... but i'd rather be watching it.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    sounds cool... but i'd rather be watching it.
    yeah me too, but its going to look good on Your Truly's resume thats for sure.
    PINGAS!!!!

Congrats. Try making a few contacts and mabey a free shirt or something. I hope you enjoy the activity and of course, the race as well.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

I suggest take up marshalling next time....that way you get to watch the race too....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I suggest take up marshalling next time....that way you get to watch the race too....
    i know they get marshals from SCCA in the US. is there a body in Canada that they recruit from?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

i know they get marshals from SCCA in the US. is there a body in Canada that they recruit from?
    im at the gates admitting all the guest in and i can't change that now but thats ok with me. its my first Indy volunteering thingy anyways.
    never heard of the SCCA. not sure who they recruit for Canada though.
    AND ITS GOING TO BE SOOOO HOT!!!
    PINGAS!!!!

I did something similar for the Italian round of the Formula SAE, just I had to do everything because the organization sucked and there wasn't enough personal, so I was in the middle of the main street giving advice to the teams arriving at 5:30 AM, helping judges during scrutinizing, helping teams' members who need info, providing stuff for everybody, marshaling, checking the track, the cars, the drivers...after 3 days I lost 3-4 kg, but I was so f***ing happy.
    Better than racing I was going to say, but it's false.
    It just that you see things for another point of view, and realize that all of what you have in front of view was possible also thanks to you.

Enjoy the experience, and get as many free tshirts and caps!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

There is a equivalent body as SCCA in Canada, but I think you don't have to be in that body to be a marshal. I know they hold Marshall training session and classes once in a while...although I supposed every series might get theirs differently.

I do know marshalls are all volunteers...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Volunteering is for people who arent good enough to get paid.

sounds like a good way to kill a day though.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    Volunteering is for people who arent good enough to get paid.
    Or laid?

Nah but seriously folks, volunteering is great. If I was a better person I might do some.

i agree. closer to the track then spectators too.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thats cool, have some fun. Be sure to get some posters and other free stuff, its good to have something to show for your volunteering. It's always a nice treat to have a cute girl at the gates. :HOWUDOEN:

Depends who the sanctioning body of the race is.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

[QUOTE=Blue Supra;896699]Volunteering is for people who arent good enough to get paid.

sounds like a good way to kill a day though.[/QUOTE ]

volunteering is for people who want to have a good resume thank you very much as well as for what its like to do volunteering for an organization. to be honest with you Blue Supra, im quite offended by what you said.

anyways, today, i was at my normal postition as usually in my volunteering when two Canadian fighter jets ( i like to call them Starscreams ) came roaring over the area. i also forgot to mention that the Indy is being held at one of our city airports. the Starscreams were magnificent to look at as they did it twice over where i was positioned. i also saw some Funny Cars, some NASCAR's, a nicely restored 1978 Chevrolet Corvette with a beautiful engine, a '69 Dodge Charger which looked like it was used for drag races. i also saw some police cars such as the 2009 Dodge Charger SRT8 with MOPAR crap all over it and with some police things on it. there was a Ford Mustang beside it which was also a police car as well. as soon as i saw it i thought this: Barricade. there were alot of Honda's as i think the Indy cars are Honda's as well. there was also a Tahoe in matte paint with graphics that displayed the Canadian Armed Forces on it. the food was expensive, like " $ 4.50 for a bottle of Coke Zero " expensive. but good thing us volunteers were given vouchers, about $10.00 bucks worth of it. and the rest was awesome.
    PINGAS!!!!

Thread Information