Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cash For Clunkers

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    On the other hand, if everyone has nice, new, more fuel-efficient cars, it should drive demand for gas down and the price of gas down with it. This leaves more gas for those of us who irrationally persist in loving gas guzzlers.

Also, a story presented here by me for the purposes of discussion:

On the news, they were interviewing a guy who had taken advantage of the C4C program. He and his daughter had traded in her old Ford Explorer Sport with 207k miles on it for the full $4500 rebate. He observed that they got a nice new car out of the deal and they came out ahead, since $4500 was more than they paid for the Explorer when they bought it 100k miles ago.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post

a side question though, where are the clunkers going anyhow?
    They dump sodium silicate in the engine oil and run it until the motor seizes up permanently. Then the cars are dismantled and/or crushed and/or shredded. Shipment to East Asia is optional.
    Last edited by Timothy (in VA); 08-06-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Thank you, I was being hypothetical however.
    You are welcome. I can't wait to get these injectors into my clunker (theey are sitting in the trunk of my car--brand new injectors), so that I can make many newer cars feel disappointed with their newbie. I am gonna go crazy this weekend with my B-13. Saturday cannot come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    On the other hand, if everyone has nice, new, more fuel-efficient cars, it should drive demand for gas down and the price of gas down with it. This leaves more gas for those of us who irrationally persist in loving gas guzzlers.

On the news, they were interviewing a guy who had taken advantage of the C4C program. He and his daughter had traded in her old Ford Explorer Sport with 207k miles on it for the full $4500 rebate. He observed that they got a nice new car out of the deal and they came out ahead, since $4500 was more than they paid for the Explorer when they bought it 100k miles ago.
    Yep! Some people have been walking out of the dealership with excelelnt deals. Hyundai took the program one step further. They even gave rebates of as much of $3,500 on their compact cars that cost $13,000. Add that to $4,500, and you can practically walk out of a Hyundai dealership with a brand new car having a debt of less than $6,000. Now, if you ask me, this is a steal.

I still view this as government inflicted inflation (catchy ). There needs to be a way around this without giving government checks to the people.

That's is what is so messed up about this. They only take running cars? It shouldn't matter if it's running or not if all they intend to do it turn it to scrap and ship it to China.
    It's because they don't want someone towing in lawn art on a flatbed and getting $4,500 for it. When I was out trying to get beer yesterday I went through the big car dealership center of the area and saw someone trying that with something missing all windows, wheels and the engine. I'm pretty sure there was grass growing out of it, too. But he had winched it onto a flatbed and looked like he was trying to trade it in.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I still view this as government inflicted inflation (catchy ). There needs to be a way around this without giving government checks to the people.
    I keep hearing this stuff about government hand out being so bad for us in the US, when in fact, the US govt hands everyone a check everytime they go to the grocery store to buy eggs, milk, and all manner of poultry items. The reason why these items are so cheap in the US, is that the US govt indirectly subsidizes these products. We have an annual farm bill that takes car of subsidies.

Our farming operations are so efficient that we produce excess food in the US with fewer and fewer people each year, enough to feed several countries over and over again. The US govt buys those excesses at dirt cheap prices, repackages them, and sends them as food aid all over the world. Because of this, farmers can continue to make more food than we need, because the US govt is gonna buy the excesses as food aid. Of course, this is for certain farm products. The US govt is by far the largest food aid provider on earth.

So, each time I hear an american complain about govt hand outs, i just sit and laugh because I know that every one of us gets a hand out from the US govt, whether directly or indirectly, every week and month or each time we visit the grocery store. For good ness sake, there is so much food in the US that it is wasted. Go to a Mickey D at 1 am in the morning or during closing time, and see where food is being wasted.

The same goes for the dirt cheap gas in the US that is being subsidized by the US govt with extremely low federal gas taxes.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 08-06-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    It's because they don't want someone towing in lawn art on a flatbed and getting $4,500 for it. When I was out trying to get beer yesterday I went through the big car dealership center of the area and saw someone trying that with something missing all windows, wheels and the engine. I'm pretty sure there was grass growing out of it, too. But he had winched it onto a flatbed and looked like he was trying to trade it in.
    Every clunker that is traded in must make it into the dealership under its own power. I doubt that individual got any money for their car.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    So, each time I hear an american complain about govt hand outs, i just sit and laugh because I know that every one of us gets a hand out from the US govt, whether directly or indirectly, every week and month or each time we visit the grocery store.
    There is such a thing as excess in spending.

Do you trade commodities?

It's funny hearing republicans complain about spending when the debacle in Iraq debts the states a figure with TWELVE zeros.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

My Nissan B13 is a clunker, as far as i am concerned. However, if I can get new injectors in her by this weekend, she is gonna get at least 34 mpg on the highway, and she has 262,000 miles. Does not burn or leak oil anywhere. Excellent GA16DE engine. Gets about 32 mpg at this time. I love her to death. I have no Tachometer in the car. So, I just rev as hard as I can until she can revv no more. Uses Castrol GTX 20W-50--excellent dino oil. She gets an oil change every 1,800 - 2000 miles or 1.25 months.

I welcome all those buying new cars. Its good for the economy, and it revs me up to show them that my old clunker can spank their newbie ride, fairly easily. Hahahahahahaha! LOL! Why?? Older cars were much lighter than the newer ones.

Just spanked a brand new 2009 Chevy Cobalt LS last night. It felt so good.
    I didn't say old cars don't get good gas mileage. I was saying that the program goes by the book and it could be unfair to certain cars.

By all means, I'm all for the preservation of specific old cars.

Yeah, in some cases it's a great deal. Their car may not be worth 4,500, especially when most SUVs have depreciated heavily once gas got expensive.

Yep! Some people have been walking out of the dealership with excelelnt deals. Hyundai took the program one step further. They even gave rebates of as much of $3,500 on their compact cars that cost $13,000. Add that to $4,500, and you can practically walk out of a Hyundai dealership with a brand new car having a debt of less than $6,000. Now, if you ask me, this is a steal.
    Yup, that's why it ran out of money so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    He won't get the deal. It needs to run. I have yet to see a car run without an engine.

This is grounds for murder.

EDIT:

But where is the subsidy coming* from?
    Yeah, I love the NSX. Did you know that?

From taxpayers. And it sucks balls that I can't take advantage of that.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    He won't get the deal. It needs to run. I have yet to see a car run without an engine.
    Yeah, I posted that as an example of why they're demanding that it be able to run. Still, I admire his entrepeneurship.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    It's funny hearing republicans complain about spending when the debacle in Iraq debts the states a figure with TWELVE zeros.
    The Republican Party is notorious for favoring defense spending, just as the Democratic Party is notorious for favoring social programs spending; this is what we’re getting a lot of in the current administration.

Looking at it from an independent's point of view I'm more supportive for the former given the uncertain times of terrorism and rogue dictators bent on destruction and control. But this is irrelevant for this thread.

The Republican Party is notorious for favoring defense spending, just as the Democratic Party is notorious for favoring social programs spending; this is what we’re getting a lot of in the current administration.

Looking at it from an independent's point of view I'm more supportive for the former given the uncertain times of terrorism and rogue dictators bent on destruction and control. But this is irrelevant for this thread.
    Understood, I wasn't trying to spark a debate which will probably happen anyway. My only point with that was that I get a bit annoyed at people who complain about the government spending a billion here and there in different stimulus plans in hopes of rectifying the economy while we're already in trillions of dollars of debt on what I feel was/is a poorly executed anti-terrorism campaign. The stock market is back up in the low 9k's and consumer spending seems to be picking up a bit so I'll hold back on criticizing the current stimulus until it's clear whether the plan worked or not.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information