19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 57.89%
  • No

8 42.11%
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Why buy an SUV ??

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I doubt very much that many SUVs can follow the likes of a Land Rover Defender et al off road. 90% of them are fitted with road tyres, so they're off to a bad start already.

I am not saying that all large vehicles with four wheel drive are useless, just SUV's.
    Poor Defender. The new design is now being agonised over. Do they make it more desirable to the mass market (yes they cant help themselves) or retain the integrity of a truly capable off roader (no, the market is dwindling). Hope Im wrong.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Some Irony (like goldy or bronzy) in connection with American SUVs (not capable off roaders, of practical trucks which people use out of neccessity)

Most SUVs are neither Sporty, or Utilitarian.

There is a pitiful percentage of diesel SUVs.
    Not only would they benefit from better gas milage, therefore cost you even less to run, but they'd have huge ammounts of torque, which makes towing/ carrying heavy loads even easier.

Most American SUVs are capable of off roading, some in light conditions other in much harsher conditions. But I rather have and SUV off road than a small car.

Depending on how you define "sporty" and what your comparing it to SUVs can be sporty. Obveously there not going to be anywhere near a true sports car in sporty, but most will be more sporty than some of the "sporty" coupes available in America.
    As far as utilitarian how are they not? There is far more room in an SUV than a small car, and some larger cars. Can a small car saftley tow a boat? What about carry furnature in the trunk? How about carrying 5+ people comfortably while towing?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Most American SUVs are capable of off roading, some in light conditions other in much harsher conditions. But I rather have and SUV off road than a small car.

Depending on how you define "sporty" and what your comparing it to SUVs can be sporty. Obveously there not going to be anywhere near a true sports car in sporty, but most will be more sporty than some of the "sporty" coupes available in America.
    As far as utilitarian how are they not? There is far more room in an SUV than a small car, and some larger cars. Can a small car saftley tow a boat? What about carry furnature in the trunk? How about carrying 5+ people comfortably while towing?
    Have you ever heard of the phrases "tongue in cheek" or "sarcasm"?
    Thanks for all the fish

ever heard about the renault espace ?i dunno how much they may tow, but i see peeps with huge caravans(2axles, 6/7 meters and sometimes more!!) and they can tow it !so...... why get such a huge truck??i bet it even gets better mileage.....
    Last edited by drakkie; 07-30-2004 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    ever heard about the renault espace ?i dunno how much they may tow, but i see peeps with huge caravans(2axles, 6/7 meters and sometimes more!!) and they can tow it !so...... why get such a huge truck??i bet it even gets better mileage.....
    I tow 2 horses in trailer with my 14 year old Espace.
    2 litre petrol, 4 wheel drive ( most of the time - long story ! ) and 150,000 miles on original engine and transmission.
    Gets abused all the time.
    Went to Paris and back in the same day to pick up a Matra chassis Got up to 80mph on quiet stretch !!!!!
    The legal weight isn't particularly high as the car is light for it's size. But with the 4WD and even the FWD it's easy to pull a "snake" back into control.
    Won't say the number of times I've pulled so-called off-roaders out of muddy fields at horse shows
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-30-2004 at 03:19 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

the only reason why i would buy one ?? .. if it's cheaper then a Dacia
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

BMW X3 = SUV
    Reasons why not to buy one, as confirmed by Top Gear.

I have been "holding out" on the X3 untill I had seen some sort of evidence about how well it goes off road.

I had suspected from it's announcement that it would be crap, however I wanted to give it a fair chance.

It is great on road.
    It is fairly useless off road.

Get a 5/3 series estate
    Better on road.
    Cheaper.
    Doesn't look like a X5 with leprosy.

Need to go off road?
    Buy something that will actually be able to tackle something more demanding than the kerb stone.
    Thanks for all the fish

Have you ever heard of the phrases "tongue in cheek" or "sarcasm"?
    With out tone, sarcasm is hard to detect...were on the internet there is no tone of voice.

Only one problem, Renault isnt sold in America...

Only one problem, Renault isnt sold in America...
    import one then

BMW X3 = SUV
    Reasons why not to buy one, as confirmed by Top Gear.

I have been "holding out" on the X3 untill I had seen some sort of evidence about how well it goes off road.

I had suspected from it's announcement that it would be crap, however I wanted to give it a fair chance.

It is great on road.
    It is fairly useless off road.

Get a 5/3 series estate
    Better on road.
    Cheaper.
    Doesn't look like a X5 with leprosy.

Need to go off road?
    Buy something that will actually be able to tackle something more demanding than the kerb stone.
    i saw it and honestly it was like i had expected.i looked at bmw.de and i looked for the feul usage of the Z4 and the X3.
    BMW Z4 2.5i : average 8.9l/100km
    BMW X3 2.5i : average 11.2l/100km

this are the official figures of bmw.most of the times these figures arent completely right and may depend on how the person behind the wheel drives, but it gives a good indication.

The x3 ISNT SPORTY AT ALL, AND YOU CAN HAVE A LOT MORE FUN WITH AN Z4 WHILE POLLUTING THE ATMOSPHERE LESS !!!

here is the proof of my statements:
    http://www.bmw.com/generic/de/de/pro.../datasheet.pdf
    http://www.bmw.com/generic/de/de/pro..._datasheet.pdf

import one then
    I rather not take the time and pay all the money to import a van when i can just buy an SUV and have it serve more purposes.

a espace isnt what we call a van out here.

Edit: in order to prevent any confusion about different namingss of car types here are pics of :
    a van
    a mpv
    a suv
    another suv
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drakkie; 08-03-2004 at 02:40 AM.

Why on earth should you buy an SUV??Its expensive, polluting,not very good in terrain(every day, lots are being pulled out of the sand on the beach near my place) and i can go on for hours about it. Can someone tell me why to buy an SUV, exept the status of having one??
    Haul People to work sites ,,, you see it all depends what one uses it for.
    SUV has its uses,, I do hate the term SUV.

In my case my SUV is actually a BUS that can crawl through mud to get 6 hard working Mexican day workers to work.

so next time you see an SUV, don't be mad,, there are reasons why people has one,, same as people with small cars ,, or medium cars ,, or small cars with V8 engines.

the car that I think is most enificitent ?? its those 2 door/ 2 seat with massive engines ,, like a Corvette, Porshe,, etc, etc..

even a 2 seater Miata is just plain useless ,,..

Quote Originally Posted by crimefighter196

the car that I think is most enificitent ?? its those 2 door/ 2 seat with massive engines ,, like a Corvette, Porshe,, etc, etc..

even a 2 seater Miata is just plain useless ,,..
    Thats it. Few cars are built purely for function. Just as few people buy cars purely for functionality. Thats why sites like this exist. And the hundreds of magazines and other paraphanalia the is dedicated to cars. If functionality and effeciency were the only paramaters we would all drive Prius's. Karmann nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information